Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire Recommendation

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 02:40 PM
Jedwin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire Recommendation

I'm in the process of joining the cargo bike family and couldn't be happier. Just got my Xtracycle parts and plan to begin building off an existing older MTB. My specific question (for now) is simply tire size. After some research, I'm planning to purchase Schwalbe Big Apple (HS338) - 26x2.00

Anyone see a problem with this, like too small, if not, I'd also appreciate any tire suggestions. Looking at a max of about $40 per tire price range.

Also, couldn't be happier with the service from the Xtracycle folks. My calls always got through and the staff was beyond helpful.

thanks,

jed
Old 07-10-12, 03:28 PM
Rockfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Apples are a great choice.
I run the 2.00's (or 2.15's I forget) on my 26" LHT and they roll very well with light loads, handle any load, and have been very flat resistant. I actually started with the 2.35's but found they felt slower than the slightly smaller size when riding solo and lightly loaded on my commute, which is the majority of my use. Depending on the roads you ride, you might want 2.15's for the extra cush, or if you plan lots of big loads on rough terrain go with the big boys!
Old 07-10-12, 05:04 PM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Bikes: Trek Transport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should make sure you get a round one.....
Old 07-10-12, 06:56 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey another Xtracycle rolling around Buffalo...good to hear. I am in love with the Big Apples and I have the 2.35 size. I worried about them being too big, but that hasn't really been a problem. I'd say if you are a bigger guy or plan on heavier loads go bigger. Also, if your rims are narrow that is a limiting factor in how big you can go. I commute 10 miles each way to work on my cargo bike and the Big Apples roll so smoothly. Now that I've had the 2.35s I don't think I'd ever go smaller than the 2.15s.
Old 07-11-12, 05:20 AM
Jedwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Based on your suggestions, I decided to order a set of the Schwalbe Big Apple - 26x2.35's since I plan to use the bike mostly for hauling. Will be working on my conversion for the next week or two and can't wait to be another Xtracycle riding around Western NY.
Old 07-11-12, 06:10 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Bikes: Trek Transport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedwin
Thanks for the input everyone. Based on your suggestions, I decided to order a set of the Schwalbe Big Apple - 26x2.35's since I plan to use the bike mostly for hauling. Will be working on my conversion for the next week or two and can't wait to be another Xtracycle riding around Western NY.

Nice choice....and round as well......
Old 07-11-12, 10:08 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 2.35 Schwalbes didn't fit my old mtn bike that I used for my Xtracycle. I hope you have better luck.