Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

trailer or rear panniers? Utility riding in all conditions.

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 02:04 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a Surly Pugsley with the intent on using it more often as an errand bike & utility build in all weather. I didn't want to commit to going full on Big Dummy build as I wanted the fat tires and ability to ride wherever without the longer frame.
So now I need input on what to buy, pull trailer vs rear panniers. I have not purchased either as of yet.

I am 38. I have a home daycare, so need to transport a fair amount of foods from the grocery store every week.
Both kids of my own ride their own bikes and we live 2 miles from our local Walmart, but dad is home evenings & weekends so I don't always need them to go with me.
I live in Nebraska and we do have pretty hot temps but snow was well, we average just 8 snowy days a year(that it actually snows actively) but it can stick around for weeks at a time.
I will be able to ride a 11ft wide paved hiker biker trail from my house to the store. I am very fortunate to live right off the trail and the store is too.

I typically fill 2-3 reusable grocery bags, along with 4 milk jugs, and 2 24 packs of soda every week when I go shopping.

I used to have a Burley but sold it, would that be my best bet or should I go full on utility trailer? The more I think about it, I think panniers wouldn't work just because of all the drinks I buy and haul.
Old 07-31-12, 10:41 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Salsa Mukluk 2 I use as a winter bike, a summer hell-raiser, and I never would have expected it, but its my primary trailer-hauler. The main reason being that the oversized tires provide a shock absorber effect from the accelerate/decelerate lag time of the trailer.

With the weight of the liquid beverages plus whatever may find itself on your shopping list that week, a trailer would be your best bet because it handles both the weight and the balance of the freight. You still have to pull it, but pulling it alone is better than pulling it and balancing it on your bike, not to mention the fact that a trailer is usually much easier to pack than two or more panniers. Keep in mind that most trailers have a 50 pound weight limit, so there may be times you need a trailer and panniers.

Generally speaking though, during the winter I want to be be able to concentrate on balance and surface conditions when riding, and I don't want to have to compensate for added weight on either or both sides...hence, the trailer.

The downside to pulling a trailer during winter, especially with fat bikes, is the water/mud splash the rear tire throws on the trailer and its contents. I use waterproof containers to carry anything I put on my trailer, which protects the cargo itself, but it still can be a mess to clean up.

I never really had a problem with snow or slush with the trailer as far as handling was concerned, but I live in a city that plows the bike paths often before the roads, so that has probably helped a bit.

Last edited by MadCityCyclist; 07-31-12 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 02:18 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I use both on my bike.
Old 08-01-12, 09:19 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you will need a trailer to start with if you intend to use year round. A Big Dummy carries the load so that you don't get the wobble that you would normally get on a normal framed bike when you load it heavy. With the Pugs or any normal length frame, your load gets stored behind the rear axle and gives you that wobble that isn't good in the snow or mud.
Old 08-01-12, 09:42 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
I use both on my bike.
+1
Even though it sounds like a trailer will be the way to go for your larger loads, I'd keep looking for good sales on a rack and panniers. I got the rack for my touring bike for $10 and some good waterproof panniers for $30, so it doesn't have to cost that much to add the option of using panniers for smaller shopping trips. And having a rear rack on the bike with a bungee or straps lets you pick up things at impromptu stops where you wouldn't have the trailer along.
Old 08-01-12, 12:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Too bad you shed the kid hauling trailer, those repurpose nicely.. but there are Utility trailers ,
with a place to mount a big tub Like Rubbermaid's with a dry closure lid.

and there is also using the Burly Travoy a seat post mount trailer
that you might take into the store and load it up at the checkout.

I have used my Panniers as a shopping bag, store gave me a nickel credit
for each bag I did not use.
Old 08-03-12, 03:19 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes
I bought a Surly Pugsley with the intent on using it more often as an errand bike & utility build in all weather. I didn't want to commit to going full on Big Dummy build as I wanted the fat tires and ability to ride wherever without the longer frame.
So now I need input on what to buy, pull trailer vs rear panniers. I have not purchased either as of yet.

I am 38. I have a home daycare, so need to transport a fair amount of foods from the grocery store every week.
Both kids of my own ride their own bikes and we live 2 miles from our local Walmart, but dad is home evenings & weekends so I don't always need them to go with me.
I live in Nebraska and we do have pretty hot temps but snow was well, we average just 8 snowy days a year(that it actually snows actively) but it can stick around for weeks at a time.
I will be able to ride a 11ft wide paved hiker biker trail from my house to the store. I am very fortunate to live right off the trail and the store is too.

I typically fill 2-3 reusable grocery bags, along with 4 milk jugs, and 2 24 packs of soda every week when I go shopping.

I used to have a Burley but sold it, would that be my best bet or should I go full on utility trailer? The more I think about it, I think panniers wouldn't work just because of all the drinks I buy and haul.
Your best bet would be a 2 wheel utility trailer like the Burley Cargo hauler which can pretty much transport anything up to 100lbs. We just had a group barbecue at the beach and one of our trailer riders towed the exact hauler from Costco to the beach. I helped him out with my Burley Travoy which in your case is not that ideal -- easy to tip over in rougher terrain. If you don't mind a single wheel trailer, my suggestion would be the Maya Cycle Trailer (I own that as well) and the advantages of this is the larger cargo area, 66lbs carrying capacity plus it comes with a stand to load groceries plus it can be converted into a wheel barrow (own shopping cart) that you can push in, do your thing and then push out.

Carrying four jugs of milk can really effect bike handling due to the rather higher center of gravity and the milk sloshing around while you ride will wildly tip your bike side to side. Trailer will solve this problem.

For city shopping, I mainly use my Burley Travoy because it can be detached and carry it with you into the store, but for cargo hauling and bulk buying plus going off-trails into farm buying fresh produce, the Maya Cycle Trailer is a better trailer. Each has its own benefits.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-12, 12:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I prefer a trailer. I live in the suburbs, which makes it easier than using it in a city. I keep the trailer outside next to the house, so it doesn't have to go up and down stairs or through any doors. It doesn't affect bike handling, and it requires less pedaling and balancing effort than adding weight to the bike.

I use a kiddie trailer I got on craigslist for only $60. I think it's a $400 model. I've towed over 100 pounds on it, even on moderate hills. It's amazing how easy it is.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-08-12, 10:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there is a Way Outback story of a guy using A Pug, an xtrawheel &3rd Pugsly wheel ,
and towing it on a long self contained haul all your own grub n water in the desert kind of trip.
Old 08-09-12, 11:04 PM
dayworks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with you and most everybody else who has responded. You want a trailer. I actually make them and you can check out mine at www.redbiketrailer.com. however I designed mine the needs of a single household in mind. With a daycare you may need something larger like a Bikes at Work trailer - www.bikesatwork.com
Old 08-11-12, 06:45 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I prefer my BOB for hauling beer. I thought that BOB meant "Beer on Board".