Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How important to replace tires with " E-Bike tires " also any recommendations ?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

How important to replace tires with " E-Bike tires " also any recommendations ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 02:41 PM
Scaliboy62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question How important to replace tires with " E-Bike tires " also any recommendations ?

Hi, recently got a bubble @ the 1510 mile mark on my MiPower . They are marked Kenda-Eibike tire Taiwan. I cant seem to find them on the web RMartin has yet to get back to my E-Mails sent couple days ago .
The rear tire is getting worn looking anyways & I did get a flat couple weeks ago as well. so I need to replace them.
So my questions are how important is it to use E-Bike tires ? Also any tips on great 26 x 1.75.. 47-559 tires for this bike { hooked bead rims **.
Thanks in advance,
Alan
Old 09-02-12, 02:51 PM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

Keep them inflated to near max, use Mr. Tuffy tire liners, thick inner tubes such as the Sunlite thorn resistant tubes and your setup will be indestructible.

I know you mentioned 26" x 1.75 but check to see if you can fit 26" x 2.0 tires on your rim.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 09-02-12, 03:01 PM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the great info, I'm afraid the fatter tire may hit the wires & connectors as the design has them run inside the frame's chain stays, I'm going to measure it, fatter tire would help..
Old 09-02-12, 05:02 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a motorized bike, especially one that is used for commuting on a daily basis and must be reliable, just about any of the quality puncture resistant tires with reinforced sidewalls out there will do just fine. Bontrager Hard Case Plus (H2, H4, & LT3 tread designs) can be had for $30-$50 each on the web and I can vouch for them and use the H2 tread in the summer myself on both electric and IC motorized bikes because if you search for the lowest priced place online you can usually pick them up for cheapest of any of the quality puncture resistant tires out there (that hold up better under the higher loads of a motorized set-up).

Whatever you do just don't use those nasty tires advertised to have Kevlar in them sold under the Bell and Schwin brand name along with a few other cheapo brand names. They are way low quality junk.

As previously mentioned the thicker "thorn buster" type tubes are a good idea as well on a motorized set-up. Be careful with liners though since if installed incorrectly they can actually cause a pinch flat on a tube (less likely on a heavy duty tube but still possible) and if the overlap is severe can put the wheel off balance and/or make a slight bump that you can feel every wheel rotation. Not saying don't use them just saying if you use them be extra picky about getting them installed correctly.

Last edited by turbo1889; 09-02-12 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 12:23 AM
geebee

Bikes: GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can fit them a Maxxis Hook Worm is pretty close to indestructible, I have them on one of my trikes and I don't bother riding around glass any more, I saw a review once that said when nuclear war occurs only cockroaches and Maxxis Hook worms will be left.
Any tyre can be fitted, tough ones just mean less issues with tyre changes, especially in the wheel with the hub.
Old 09-03-12, 04:14 AM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for the replys, I ordered Kenda K838 slick wire bead tires, excellent reviews on this tire, I hope they fit though , also ordered the thick thornproof tubes but skipped on the liners. $ 72.00 US to the door for all from Amazon
Old 09-03-12, 08:15 AM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geebee
If you can fit them a Maxxis Hook Worm is pretty close to indestructible, I have them on one of my trikes and I don't bother riding around glass any more, I saw a review once that said when nuclear war occurs only cockroaches and Maxxis Hook worms will be left.
Any tyre can be fitted, tough ones just mean less issues with tyre changes, especially in the wheel with the hub.
That's good news geebee, I just installed a set on my e-bike. They are HUGE tires!
Soylent Green is People!
Old 09-03-12, 08:19 AM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scaliboy62
Thanks again for the replys, I ordered Kenda K838 slick wire bead tires, excellent reviews on this tire, I hope they fit though , also ordered the thick thornproof tubes but skipped on the liners. $ 72.00 US to the door for all from Amazon
The Kenda K838 tires are wonderful until you get a flat. I had a set on my e-bike before I moved on to the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires. Here's a picture of my Kenda K838 with a staple I picked up:

Scaliboy62, you should have asked me first...I would've sold you my K838s for half price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CauseOfKendaFlat.jpg (98.5 KB, 31 views)
KendaK838OnRearRim.jpg (95.2 KB, 23 views)
Soylent Green is People!

Last edited by EBikeFL; 09-03-12 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added Kenda K838 Pic On Rear Rim
Old 09-03-12, 11:34 AM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thats a pretty big staple though, I just cancelled my Order with Amazon for the Kenda's I went to my local Model's today & got { now dont laugh ** 2 Bell 26" Mountain bike tires with kevlar on sale 1/2 price for $ 7.50 each. I like they way they look big ass tires, bike has a cushy ride, Ok a little noisy with the hum of those fat threads. I'm still going to get proper road tires but for now I'm having fun experimenting with these mountain bike tires on the street. I'll take a picture later bike has attitude now
Old 09-03-12, 11:39 AM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scaliboy62
Wow, thats a pretty big staple though, I just cancelled my Order with Amazon for the Kenda's I went to my local Model's today & got { now dont laugh ** 2 Bell 26" Mountain bike tires with kevlar on sale 1/2 price for $ 7.50 each. I like they way they look big ass tires, bike has a cushy ride, Ok a little noisy with the hum of those fat threads. I'm still going to get proper road tires but for now I'm having fun experimenting with these mountain bike tires on the street. I'll take a picture later bike has attitude now
You know what they say, "You get what you pay for". What's it worth not to get stuck somewhere because of your tires. Thankfully, I've had friends I could call but if I had to call a taxi it would've cost much more than the right set of tires.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 09-04-12, 06:43 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is an amazing switch from your OP. You were worried that you had to have special ebike tires and you ended up buying cheap crap that will leave you stranded with flats. Wow.
Old 09-04-12, 10:46 PM
profstack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
That is an amazing switch from your OP. You were worried that you had to have special ebike tires and you ended up buying cheap crap that will leave you stranded with flats. Wow.
That's a bit uncalled for, don't you think? Let's see how the kevlar liner holds up before passing critical judgement.
Old 09-05-12, 05:45 AM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I orderd Schwable Marathon plus tour smartguard 26 x 1.75 { same size as the stock tire **.
The reasons why I put these Mountain bike tires on was because they were obtained by a store that was 1/2 mile away which was the only store open on Labor Day , they were 1/2 price & I wanted to experiment with a larger tire, also I wanted the bike to be ridable till the good tires were delivered..
I like the ride of this Bell tire but I lose a couple MPH's in top end thats for sure. I bet I lose range as well, it feels like the motor has a larger load on it. It's all a trade off but I cant wait to install the Schwable's when they come, I'll use these mountain bike tires again as backups. I feel pretty confident in them as I'm using brand new run flat Bell tubes { I know they havve a bad rep, too, some pictures
Attached Images
E=bike MTB tires 002.jpg (94.8 KB, 20 views)
E=bike MTB tires 007.jpg (94.7 KB, 16 views)
E=bike MTB tires 001.jpg (97.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Scaliboy62; 09-05-12 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 09-14-12, 09:32 AM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok just in case anyone is interested in an update to my tire selection after putting 100 miles or so on the wider then stock 26x195 mountain bike tire I decided I really like the improvement in ride the wider tire offers so I cancelled my Schwable order & bought the Kenda K838's with thorn proof tubes. Man I love these tires, smooth, grippy,softer ride..bike feels so much better. I just has to run the power cable on top of the frames chain stays to make them fit. Oh & those Bell Kevlar Mountain Bike tires did the job not bad & will try them again in the snowy weather I believe. Enclosed images of Kenda K838's installed ohhh yeah !
Attached Images
kenda k838 tires 010.jpg (101.0 KB, 23 views)
kenda k838 tires 008.jpg (98.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-15-12, 07:48 AM
Greg_d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In our shop our 'stock tyre' is the Marathon Plus Tour, it has good treads for water displacement and light trails and a bombproof level of kevlar. For those people with hub motors the very thick kevlar layer offers a lot of security as changing the puncture on a well-wired hub can be a real dog.

Scali makes a good call that MTB treads do cause rolling resistance, we go for the Plus Tours because the outer edge is fairly smooth and they roll well.