Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Xtracycle kit and rear derailleur cable question

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 09:52 PM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Last question about my Xtracycle conversion, I promise! I routed the rear derailleur cable properly but I can't figure out how to get the angle to be correct where the cable goes into the deraillier itself. It's at a very severe angle and I can't get enough pull going to move the derailleur to the biggest sprocket. There isn't any cable guide or braze on the Free Radical frame so I just used some old cable housing and zip tied it to the Free Radical frame. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm really kind of surprised at Xtracycle's design, at least this aspect of it. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0151.jpg (96.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0152.jpg (96.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-15-13, 03:53 PM
geontemt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning on installing an xtracycle on my trek 930 in the next few weeks and have been mentally preparing the install. I would get a longer cable housing that runs from the last braze on the bicycle back to the derailleur (just like the cable housing was before the xtracycle, only longer) and get rid of the zip tie. Let me know what you came up with and how it rides.
Old 02-15-13, 04:30 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by erbfarm
Last question about my Xtracycle conversion, I promise! I routed the rear derailleur cable properly but I can't figure out how to get the angle to be correct where the cable goes into the deraillier itself. It's at a very severe angle and I can't get enough pull going to move the derailleur to the biggest sprocket. There isn't any cable guide or braze on the Free Radical frame so I just used some old cable housing and zip tied it to the Free Radical frame. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm really kind of surprised at Xtracycle's design, at least this aspect of it. thanks
No way that is going to work! You need to take a close look at the setup around rear der`s.

First of all, if a ziptie is too tight it can stop the cable from mowing innside the housing.

To make this work you need a cablestop, normally it is best if it is on the chainstay. If it is not there that may be for a reason. Maybe it is best with a continuing housing on such bikes (I know that is the case on my homemade longtails). You need to look for the nearest cablestop and use it. Make sure cable and housing is long enough. Maybe the one on your bike (not on the x-tra atatchment) is the right one to use.

If you can not find one you need to buy one or make one. Been looking around, this is the one I found in a hurry: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 They used to have them in a cheaper make. If you can not get one like this you can always work something out with something like this: https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...le-hanger.html I would atatch it with a C- clamp or something, make sure it does not slide under strain. Again, long enough cable and housing.

Plse report back!
Old 02-15-13, 07:38 PM
erbfarm

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
ok, I'm going to try using the cable stop on my bike frame with a very long cable housing into the deraillier. Will let you know if that works.
Old 02-16-13, 11:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Run housing full length if no cable housing stop is provided.

nearest one is likely on the chainstay of the bike frame you used in front..

bikeshops have bulk rolls of housing, to buy some by the foot..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-16-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-17-13, 09:38 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've run my cable housing from the last cable stop on the chainstay on my '80's mtn bike frame. I also used the roller thingy they provide for that sharp turn at the derailleur.
Old 02-17-13, 03:24 PM
geontemt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did it work?
Old 02-18-13, 07:46 AM
erbfarm

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
I've run my cable housing from the last cable stop on the chainstay on my '80's mtn bike frame. I also used the roller thingy they provide for that sharp turn at the derailleur.
What "roller thingy" did you get with your kit? Mine didn't have anything like that (didn't fine it anyway if it was there). I'm happy to report that just using the cable stop on my mtn bike frame coupled with a long piece of housing gave me the angle I needed over the rear deraillier. It's working great now!!! Just need to get the chain working. I'm using a KMC chain (for 6, 7, 8, spd) with SRAM master links and I can't get the master links to slot properly when they're inserted into the inner chain link. But the rest of the thing is ready to go as soon as that part gets worked out!
Old 02-18-13, 04:25 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by erbfarm
What "roller thingy" did you get with your kit? Mine didn't have anything like that (didn't fine it anyway if it was there). I'm happy to report that just using the cable stop on my mtn bike frame coupled with a long piece of housing gave me the angle I needed over the rear deraillier. It's working great now!!! Just need to get the chain working. I'm using a KMC chain (for 6, 7, 8, spd) with SRAM master links and I can't get the master links to slot properly when they're inserted into the inner chain link. But the rest of the thing is ready to go as soon as that part gets worked out!
Good job, great to hear it is working.

Are you sure the Sram masterlink can work with your KMC chain? I would expect the best is to use Sram with Sram and KMC with KMC. Some chains are built for masterlink and some you join with a chaintool.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear....1.8ajYLOUkngY
Old 02-27-13, 07:11 AM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really should be using an Avid Rollamajig. Xtracycle provides one in the parts bag. Not sure if you got your freeradical secondhand, but if it is new I'd give them a call and have them mail one out. It really makes this a non-issue.
Old 03-02-13, 12:03 AM
kiltedcelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know from you most recent post that you've already completed your Xtracycle build. However, you should have received an Avid Rollamajig with your kit. It sounds like you might be a victim of the same thing I was the victim of - not receiving all the parts necessary. I didn't get a Rollamajig with my parts kit. Apparently they just get left out sometimes. I called the folks at Xtracycle and explained that I didn't get the Rollamajig and they sent a replacement out to me right away. You'll be able to shift with a really long run of cable to make your loop but it won't shift very crisp and under load it may skip shifts or not shift at all. The Rollamajig really helps with the run of the cable line making it so that it doesn't have to be so long of a loop and thus introduce loads of extra drag from all of that extra housing. With the Rollamajig you can get an almost ninety degree cable run going into your rear derailleur. If I were you, I'd go ahead and see about having them send you a replacement, as it will make your shifts a lot more crisp and a lot more reliable. This is what you should have received:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1802
The one Xtracycle includes is actually grey-colored.
Old 03-02-13, 10:16 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, that is the 'roller thingy' I couldn't think of the name.