Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need a good earbud recommend please.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 11:51 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

I decided to go musical on rides after fighting it for 20 years. Actually kinda nice, old dogs can learn new tricks.

I made a mistake. I bought some "Yurbuds" because they were designed by a Tri-Athlete. (He must not ride a bike) They stay in place real well, but the wind noise is horrible. @15mph the wind noise overpowers the music. I want something that stays in place and keeps wind noise out. What do you use?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 03-27-13, 01:09 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you want an isolation IEM. What's your budget? You like your music accurate ("flat" according to audiophile types), or you like it colored (e.g. bassheads tend to want lows emphasized), and if you want it colored, what do you like? Highly recommend you check out the head-fi forums...they tend to be more knowledgeable about headphones than most.
Old 03-27-13, 01:27 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use mine for work and even then if it is windy, I wear my hearing protectors over to block the wind noise. They are unusable on a bicycle. I have only tried about three brands but they were all just the normal kind. You will have to look for something special or since you can no longer hear anything around you anyway, wear something like cheap hearing protectors over them.
Old 03-27-13, 01:29 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
You like your music accurate ("flat" according to audiophile types), or you like it colored. . . .
Likely he wants it accurate enough for In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida to transport him back to his magic bus days .
Old 03-27-13, 01:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
cheap $10 Phillips brand wherever I can find them and I only use 1 leaving the other ear completely open and free.
Old 03-27-13, 02:17 PM
mattgmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some older shures (E3C I believe). They've probably been replaced by something else, but I'm sure shure has a model very similar that's still available. Among the different types of replaceable tips for the buds are ones that are basically foam earplugs with a sound tube in the middle.

I've never used them while riding, but they would certainly stay in, block exterior sound, and sound great. They completely block out noise on plane rides.
Old 03-27-13, 02:32 PM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by dminor
Likely he wants it accurate enough for In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida to transport him back to his magic bus days .
Stupid itunes won't sell the long version of In-a Gadda, or I'm a Man by Chicago. I have to fill in with Marty Robbins, Vanilla Ice and Frank S.

Old 03-27-13, 04:48 PM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accurate and MP3? Thats funny right there. Maybe he can get a portable SACD mounted to the bars.

Anyway I have always liked the skull candy buds. I do not know the model but they are the cheapest ones and fit nicely great sound to boot. They come with two different sized ear pieces for better fit. I think I pay about $14 for them.
Old 03-27-13, 05:11 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gunner65
Anyway I have always liked the skull candy buds. I do not know the model but they are the cheapest ones and fit nicely great sound to boot. They come with two different sized ear pieces for better fit. I think I pay about $14 for them.
Plus they have a great warranty. If they break and it's not your fault, they give you a new pair (forever). If you break them and it's your fault, they give you 50% credit.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 03-27-13, 05:12 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100% agree with gunner. Cheap, get the job done, and not shedding tears when they get ripped out by passing twigs or sneakily around you handlebar (admit it, it always happens atleast once).
Or you know go spend 80bux on some sennhiesers or 200on some beats buds and regret spending that much on headphones when your ride trashes em in 3 months.
Old 03-27-13, 05:51 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Stupid itunes won't sell the long version of In-a Gadda, . . . .
They are waiting for the terrabyte version of the iPod to come out before releasing it
Old 03-27-13, 06:05 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had Skullcandy FMJs and Titans both short out on me after getting sweaty, and I've had Lowriders and Skullcrushers both crack. They have a lifetime warranty (you have to pay shipping, but that's it...though it takes them foreeever to warranty stuff), but they really need it, because their quality control is terrible. I do have a pair of Skullcandy Ink'd that seem to be able to handle sweat though (although one of the buds is duct taped together because the shell cracked), but they don't sound that great. Bass is muddy and a little bloated, though I guess that's what you should expect for a cheap IEM. Only Skullcandy I have that I feel are made of a physically robust material are the SK Pro, and the audio quality for what they cost...not good. I got them using credit from one of the broken pairs though, so I guess I can't complain too much.

My current favorite bud is probably my Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 EBs...expensive, but they've put up with quite a bit of abuse, and also stay in my ears better than any of my other IEMs. Definitely on the bassy side though. The SuperFi line has been discontinued though, and now that they've been bought out by Logitech, their customer service leaves something to be desired.

MEElectronics is making some really nice and reasonably priced stuff nowadays though. I'd recommend either the S6 or M6 for working out. Also, Sennheiser has the CX 685, but they're a little pricier than the MEElectronics.

Last edited by Zephyr11; 03-27-13 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 10:43 PM
Daspydyr 

Thanks crew. Do the Skullcandy stay in on rides? My S3 came with decent buds, but don't stay in. The big issue is staying put so I'm not messing with em on a ride.

Old 03-27-13, 11:16 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks crew. Do the Skullcandy stay in on rides? My S3 came with decent buds, but don't stay in. The big issue is staying put so I'm not messing with em on a ride.
As long as you get the right fit, any IEM should stay in your ear. However, I still prefer having a slightly stiffer part of the wire to loop around your ear, like on the MEElectronics: https://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_...-m6-bk-mee.htm My UE SuperFis have that too...they go no where. You do want to route the wire inside your shirt though, so it doesn't get snagged on anything.
Old 03-28-13, 09:38 AM
Daspydyr 

Thanks Zep, I was checking out the MEEEL M6s. I like that the reviews state they have up'erend mid's and Treble. Every one seems to have big bass, but I like a more balanced sound. I'll let you know how the M6 works shortly-hopefully.

Old 03-29-13, 03:19 PM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gunner65
Accurate and MP3? Thats funny right there. Maybe he can get a portable SACD mounted to the bars.

Giggle, I find it funny that you mock mp3s and then suggest skull candy. Did the guy at Best Buy also sell you some Bose and Beats Audio merchandise?

Just kidding...seriously not trying to start anything, just found the comment comical.

Personally, I found etymotic to be some of the best if you're looking for audiophile quality. I have an old pair of er6i's that I picked up for around $100 back when I did live sound and they were exceptional. The downside of these, you notice the low quality of mp3s, even well ripped mp3s.
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...pr_product_top

Right now I've been enjoying my pair of AIAIAI Swirls, picked them up from one of those deal sites for $45 - they're more of a dj style earbud, warmer lows and punchier highs.
https://www.aiaiai.dk/store/headphones/swirl

Old 03-29-13, 03:42 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
. . . if you're looking for audiophile quality. . . .
Old 03-29-13, 03:59 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I can't tell if those are 15s or 12s, if they're 15s, then respect!

Loses points on the single din dash tho.

Old 03-29-13, 04:25 PM
YamiRider1316

Bikes: 13' Ragley Marley, 12' Pivot Firebird, 13' Pivot Point, 89' Bridgestone RB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy some of these https://www.interstatemusic.com/88073...shoppingdotcom

and then let me know how they work . Seems like an interesting concept. It would be nice to be able rock out and still be able to hear your surroundings.
Old 03-29-13, 04:48 PM
Daspydyr 

Spe....ED, you do realize this if for listening to when I'm riding a bike? Then again there is nothing like hearing the strings in Beethoven's 9th Sym., while shredden some gnar. (never have figured out what gnar is? Can you put it on a tostada?)

My ears got blasted (in Phoenix/Peoria BTW) playing horns in a Chicago Style band in the 70's. We just stood in front of the amps and blew our lips out trying to match whatever came out of the amps. Audiophile quality is lost on me. I can't even hear when the wife gets cranky!

Old 03-29-13, 04:50 PM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by dminor
Have disco, will travel!

Old 03-29-13, 05:22 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
(never have figured out what gnar is?)
Old dudes, sheesh .

Gnar:

Gnar:

Über gnar:

Last edited by dminor; 03-29-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 05:44 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The small ear cups that come with the skullcandy buds (doesn't matter what bud style they're all the same silicone cup) fit in my ear super awesome. Some people maybe the cups for diffferent brands fit better or. A cup shape. Shop around. I've posted my personal opinion and can't add much more to The conversation than I have besides the endless argue of this headphone is better than that headphone. But value and price is my friend, if I don't get the full experience of the drum solo from in the air tonight from my earbuds during my trail bikeride I'm not shedding tears.

Last edited by MisterK; 03-29-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 05:57 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Spe....ED, you do realize this if for listening to when I'm riding a bike? Then again there is nothing like hearing the strings in Beethoven's 9th Sym., while shredden some gnar. (never have figured out what gnar is? Can you put it on a tostada?)

My ears got blasted (in Phoenix/Peoria BTW) playing horns in a Chicago Style band in the 70's. We just stood in front of the amps and blew our lips out trying to match whatever came out of the amps. Audiophile quality is lost on me. I can't even hear when the wife gets cranky!
LOL, yeah, to be honest, I usually just throw in the stock iphone buds when I want to listen to tunes while riding, they provide some access to real world noise, so if someone is honking at me I know whats up. However, in the MTB world, you don't have to worry about cars so much, so you can probably zone out with some noise cancelling buds.

As for audiophile, I tried really hard to be one back in the day, but that was one of the most expensive hobbies I ever dabbled with and at the end of the day the cost didn't justify the gains. I still like to buy vinyl and bought a decent vinyl setup and a mixer so I could pretend to be a dj but these days about 80% of my music listening happens in the office with cheap computer speakers.

Old 04-12-13, 11:04 AM
Daspydyr 

EARBUD Report-Zephchick was good, the ME Electronics are cheap, $18. from Amazon, that is with shipping.

I clouldn't find them locally so I tried a variety of $30-$50 sports buds. I thought the Sennheiser/Addidas would be the bomb. Sound was tinny, didn't stay in more than 10 minutes. Tried all their options, back to Best Buy.

The Me's came with the best variety of plug ends, 6 options and the sound is as good as the Samsung phones that came with my S3. Comparable to my daughters Skull Candy Supreme's. They have a hard wire that wraps over the top of your ear. At first I thought it would be uncomfortable with the wire and my glasses sharing the same space. 10 minutes later, I didn't even notice they were there.

The downside with that they don't have a Mike, they are only for listening. If I am out riding-don't try calling, sorry, its just how it is. Thanks Zeph, I was surprised at the price and quality of sound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.