Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 08:56 PM
EasternRoads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a beautiful frame! I've been wanting a Wabi for a while now. Why are you going with a heavier wheel set as opposed to a Wabi wheels?
Old 01-16-15, 09:03 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EasternRoads
That's a beautiful frame! I've been wanting a Wabi for a while now. Why are you going with a heavier wheel set as opposed to a Wabi wheels?
Aesthetics. Not a big fan of how the Wabi wheels look.I wanted black ones and although H Plus Son's are heavier, they are a great wheel. Plus, I'm not a weight weenie so it doesn't really bother me much.
Old 01-16-15, 09:57 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
Aesthetics. Not a big fan of how the Wabi wheels look.I wanted black ones and although H Plus Son's are heavier, they are a great wheel. Plus, I'm not a weight weenie so it doesn't really bother me much.

I really haven't considered trimming down on weight ever before until I read about rotating weight last week. So I weighed the wheelset that came with my Fuji and was shocked at how heavy they weighed. So I swapped the wheelset from another build that weigh 1.3 lbs less just to see if it could be perceived. I was particularly interested in finding out because I live in a rather hilly city and I squeeze out 20 to 30 miles on average daily. The weight benefits were definitely felt in acceleration and when climbing hills. I realize this is not a scientific test but the data on my cyclemeter app corroborated what I felt like I was perceiving. Whether or not this was all mentally driven is beyond me, but if it improves my performance, I'm OK with that.

Last edited by franswa; 01-17-15 at 08:29 AM. Reason: English as a second language
Old 01-16-15, 10:27 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Well I'm not at that level yet. Maybe in the future I'll look for something lighter. But in the meantime, tb14s are lighter than my current wheelset.
Old 01-16-15, 10:36 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Weight isn't everything. TB14s are awesome.
Old 01-17-15, 05:54 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
Yeah man! You get a set, too? How do you like em?
I had been contemplating a very light and very expensive 20/24 wheel build for a long time but everybody I discussed it with told me I was crazy to consider such a low spoke-count for daily "urban" riding. When I found these, figured it would a great test to see how such a build would hold up.

Only had them for about a month so can't give you long-term report but so far I do like the way they perform very much. However - I do not like their bolt-in system at all.

Good luck and have fun with yours...

edit...And I like the all polished, moderate depth look very much but hate the cheap-looking flat black bolts. Been looking for replacements, not easy to find 9mm for the front.

Last edited by IAmSam; 01-17-15 at 07:17 AM. Reason: oh yeah...
Old 01-17-15, 08:09 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
the only weight i care about at this point are my wheels, my a23:formula huba take off like rockets as opposed to my cr18:sturmey archers

that being said ive only climbed mountains with the latter, so i guess it doesnt really matter
Old 01-17-15, 08:27 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Weight isn't everything. TB14s are awesome.

While I do agree that weight isn't the silver bullet in cycling, it's very hard to ignore the fact that my front wheel weighs almost as much as the wabi wheelset does together.
Old 01-17-15, 08:39 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by IAmSam
I had been contemplating a very light and very expensive 20/24 wheel build for a long time but everybody I discussed it with told me I was crazy to consider such a low spoke-count for daily "urban" riding. When I found these, figured it would a great test to see how such a build would hold up.

Only had them for about a month so can't give you long-term report but so far I do like the way they perform very much. However - I do not like their bolt-in system at all.

Good luck and have fun with yours...

edit...And I like the all polished, moderate depth look very much but hate the cheap-looking flat black bolts. Been looking for replacements, not easy to find 9mm for the front.

I was also worried about the low spoke count, but I was able to chat with Richard and ask him som questions that made me feel better regarding their durability. I understand they're not going to be bomb-proof, and that is perfectly fine with me, I don't ride fixed and I am not hopping curbs or thrashing the streets. It's all about managing your own expectations.

I almost purchased some campy wheels that had the quick release skewers and started to research replacing the axles to become bolt-on and also ran into trouble locating the front axle.
Old 01-17-15, 09:07 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Unless you guys are clydes, low spoke count wheels won't be a problem. I have several sets of low spoke count geared wheels, and the only difference I've noticed is that the rear wheel feels a bit spongy when really stomping hard on the pedals. I was tempted to buy a set of the Wabi superlight wheels, but am perfectly happy with the standard set that I have on my not particularly lightweight Soma Rush. Now, if Wabi made those new wheels in 650c for my Wabi Lightning, then for sure I'd grab me a set.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-17-15, 12:56 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much do Clydes weigh?
Old 01-17-15, 12:59 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by murrellington
How much do Clydes weigh?
>220 lbs

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-17-15, 10:31 PM
RubenAlonzo

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought some new handlebars, a rear rack bag, strobe lights and new seat for my Panama Jack.
Old 01-18-15, 08:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked 4,086 Times in 2,724 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Unless you guys are clydes, low spoke count wheels won't be a problem. I have several sets of low spoke count geared wheels, and the only difference I've noticed is that the rear wheel feels a bit spongy when really stomping hard on the pedals. I was tempted to buy a set of the Wabi superlight wheels, but am perfectly happy with the standard set that I have on my not particularly lightweight Soma Rush. Now, if Wabi made those new wheels in 650c for my Wabi Lightning, then for sure I'd grab me a set.
I have seen people come through the shop with low spoke count wheels who are pretty light and have issues. Plus I see the issue on forums and with other folks I know. I would rather have a few extra spokes to make a stronger wheel and cut out weight elsewhere. Unless I am a racer and have either money or sponsorship, low spoke count wheels are silly and not practical. Probably depending on weight anything below 24 is too low also with the caveat of the lacing.
Old 01-18-15, 09:00 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have seen people come through the shop with low spoke count wheels who are pretty light and have issues. Plus I see the issue on forums and with other folks I know. I would rather have a few extra spokes to make a stronger wheel and cut out weight elsewhere. Unless I am a racer and have either money or sponsorship, low spoke count wheels are silly and not practical. Probably depending on weight anything below 24 is too low also with the caveat of the lacing.
Perhaps these wheels were not built properly, as proper spoke tension is critical. My most recent set of low spoke count wheels are a set of Zipp 101 aluminum rim clinchers that have 20 spokes in the rear and 18 spokes in the front. I've put 1200 road miles on them so far w/o any problems, and although I weigh only about 135 lbs, Zipp actually rates them for riders weighing up to 250 lbs, so they are definitely not super fragile. So, I disagree that they are silly or impractical if you have the money to afford them, as I can definitely feel the liveliness that they provide even for totally non-competitive riding. BTW, the main benefit of a lower spoke count is reduced wind drag, not weight reduction.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-18-15, 10:01 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hail Satan.
Old 01-18-15, 10:10 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
The uncreator of heaven and soil.
Old 01-18-15, 10:21 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Probably should've bought something to post along with that tribute... would've gotten his blessing on said item.
Old 01-19-15, 12:15 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Came on Saturday
Old 01-19-15, 08:48 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

when did they change the graphics on those? i removed most of mine from mine with the older graphics
Old 01-19-15, 09:32 AM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by Mumonkan
when did they change the graphics on those? i removed most of mine from mine with the older graphics
I don't know to be honest. I am just getting into the game here with this brand as I was a mountain biker previously and a year and a half ago, I wouldn't have considered riding on the road, let alone on a fixed gear bike. It was advertised as a 2014 model from the seller on eBay. It is actually the wrong color, as I ordered matte black with dark grey logos for a more muted look, but I think that this will actually work. Waiting on one more piece to see.
Old 01-19-15, 09:48 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bell.jpg (4.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-19-15, 09:56 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Ding ding ding
Old 01-19-15, 11:57 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I don't know to be honest. I am just getting into the game here with this brand as I was a mountain biker previously and a year and a half ago, I wouldn't have considered riding on the road, let alone on a fixed gear bike. It was advertised as a 2014 model from the seller on eBay. It is actually the wrong color, as I ordered matte black with dark grey logos for a more muted look, but I think that this will actually work. Waiting on one more piece to see.
comes right off with nail polish remover if you wanna murder it out
Old 01-19-15, 12:27 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by Mumonkan
comes right off with nail polish remover if you wanna murder it out
Will that do anything to the gloss black finish on it or does it just remove the logos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.