Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 08:55 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Whew! Bike is fine! Thank goodness for that....

Sorry for the injuries. Your reports of post injury ride are awesome. Tell us - wild hog? Is that, like, a boar? with tusks and all?

And how come you call yourself 'try'? Man, it sounds like you don't 'try', you 'do'. I mean, it would be way weird to call yourself 'olddoguy', but I think Yoda would object to at least part of your name....
Old 05-07-20, 09:04 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I was on a path instead of the road and she came running up to the path and sideswiped me.

Pain was minimal(adrenaline flowing) until after I bicycled the 4 miles home, striped, showered and then tried to get into bed. Leaning back I felt the cracked ribs move and then realized a trip to the ER was next.

Saw my ortho yesterday and got clearance to easy ride whenever I felt no pain. Got on my wife's MW Schwinn and rode 5 miles today. Doing pretty good for an Old Phart.
DANG! Here's to a speedy recovery.
Old 05-08-20, 06:22 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
DANG! Here's to a speedy recovery.
THANKS!! Another day so 1.55 mile walk this AM and a few hours later back on the Roubaix for a slow 12 miles. Feeling better for sure.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-08-20, 07:14 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
SQUEEZE right on in.....

Will be 70yo in July and just made an unexpected AND unwanted trip to Blake's Trauma Ward last Monday morning from Englewood. Saw an awesome sunrise out the back of the ambulance heading to Blake on 64. Must say the food was very good as was the care as I spent 2.5 days there after suffering a punctured lung, 2 cracked ribs and cracked scapula, results from a wild hog hitting me and down I went 33 miles into a 100 mile MIDNIGHT ride. BIKE IS FINE!!!!!

Saw ortho today and can be back on grocery grabber bike ASA I feel comfortable.
Whew....sorry Bro. Nighttime and wild animals can be kinda scary. Get well soon!
Old 05-08-20, 07:51 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by smoore
Whew....sorry Bro. Nighttime and wild animals can be kinda scary. Get well soon!
Thanks. Healing pretty fast for an aging phart.
Old 05-09-20, 06:57 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
THANKS!! Another day so 1.55 mile walk this AM and a few hours later back on the Roubaix for a slow 12 miles. Feeling better for sure.
One of the few days I log in more miles than OldTryGuy...YES!!....

Seriously, I hope you heal quickly, and I share your pain. Three years ago I was attacked by a wild dog up in the mountains and broke my pelvis - spent 2 nights in lovely UVA Hospital. Took a long time to heal, but it doesn’t hurt a bit anymore (honest&#128515......
Old 05-09-20, 08:00 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by wthensler
One of the few days I log in more miles than OldTryGuy...YES!!....

Seriously, I hope you heal quickly, and I share your pain. Three years ago I was attacked by a wild dog up in the mountains and broke my pelvis - spent 2 nights in lovely UVA Hospital. Took a long time to heal, but it doesn’t hurt a bit anymore (honest&#128515......
NO PAIN HERE EITHER >>> I've been told I LIE LIKE A RUG

BTW, had a private room at the Trauma Center until some 60yo guy was brought in with cracked pelvis, multiple breaks in his right leg, bad concussion and other minor stuff. He fell from ladder while 18' up fixing his RV garage ceiling. His wife called late Tuesday and he told her he would be home the next day and back to work on Friday.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-09-20, 08:14 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

NO PAIN HERE EITHER >>> I've been told I LIE LIKE A RUG

BTW, had a private room at the Trauma Center until some 60yo guy was brought in with cracked pelvis, multiple breaks in his right leg, bad concussion and other minor stuff. He fell from ladder while 18' up fixing his RV garage ceiling. His wife called late Tuesday and he told her he would be home the next day and back to work on Friday.
Well, I ain’t gonna lie, mine hurt like a #$&$*$! First, since it happened in such a remote area, I basically laid flat in the road for an hour until someone finally happened along. When I finally got to the hospital, they supposedly pumped me with morphine, but it didn’t even touch the pain. I still wonder if there was any active substance in the IV.

They must’ve had me on and off the x-day table a half dozen times, because they couldn’t get the right picture angle. Excruciating! And finally, they couldn’t decide whether they were going to operate or not (they didn’t), so I was kept in suspense as part of the adventure 😃. Then the head doc came in and said I was better off breaking a pelvis than a collarbone, because they tend to heal better.....right!

My roommate at the hospital’s name was John Dillinger, from West Virginia. Guy had the exact same birth date as my Dad. Other than that he kept soiling himself and kept me up all night with a cadre of nursing staff cleaning him up.......

Thought you would enjoy swapping war stories!
Old 05-10-20, 04:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Well, I ain’t gonna lie, mine hurt like a #$&$*$! First, since it happened in such a remote area, I basically laid flat in the road for an hour until someone finally happened along. When I finally got to the hospital, they supposedly pumped me with morphine, but it didn’t even touch the pain. I still wonder if there was any active substance in the IV...................My roommate at the hospital’s name was John Dillinger, from West Virginia. Guy had the exact same birth date as my Dad. Other than that he kept soiling himself and kept me up all night with a cadre of nursing staff cleaning him up.......

Thought you would enjoy swapping war stories!
Pain wasn't too bad as I biked the 4.5 miles home but after showering I tried getting into bed and that's when the fireworks went off. Got that upset stomach wanting to puke but just got dressed and into car.

2011 when bicycle crash resulted in a minor broken neck and collar bone they put me in a room with a stroke guy and same with him keeping things smelly 24/7!!

Thinking I'm just skipping the month of APRIL from now on since neck crash, cancer diagnosis, scapula crash all in April.

Been up about 2 hours having been AWAKENED BY a knife in my back. YUP, STILL HAVE PAIN reminding me AND the ironic thing is I don't even care for bacon.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-10-20, 07:08 AM
wthensler 

Pain wasn't too bad as I biked the 4.5 miles home but after showering I tried getting into bed and that's when the fireworks went off. Got that upset stomach wanting to puke but just got dressed and into car.

2011 when bicycle crash resulted in a minor broken neck and collar bone they put me in a room with a stroke guy and same with him keeping things smelly 24/7!!

Thinking I'm just skipping the month of APRIL from now on since neck crash, cancer diagnosis, scapula crash all in April.

Been up about 2 hours having been AWAKENED BY a knife in my back. YUP, STILL HAVE PAIN reminding me AND the ironic thing is I don't even care for bacon.
😃😃😃😃😃😃 I think in many states if you hit an animal, you can lay claim to the road kill. I didn’t kill the beast that tried to kill me, but if I had, I’d have cooked and grilled the damned thing just out of spite. But he simply wandered into the wilds.......

Rest up, I’ll carry on your legacy as best I can while you heal up (if that’s even possible)... At 418 miles and counting for May.........
Old 05-10-20, 09:22 AM
OldTryGuy

😃😃😃😃😃😃 I think in many states if you hit an animal, you can lay claim to the road kill. I didn’t kill the beast that tried to kill me, but if I had, I’d have cooked and grilled the damned thing just out of spite. But he simply wandered into the wilds.......

Rest up, I’ll carry on your legacy as best I can while you heal up (if that’s even possible)... At 418 miles and counting for May.........
Friends jokingly asked if I had any bacon but ironic thing is I don't even eat meat. Love cooked bacon smell but can't eat it anymore.

Bike on and put some happy miles with smiles on for me.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-10-20, 07:32 PM
bikejoel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Strava records

Being somewhat new to Strava I decided to use it to record my time around a 2.9 mile loop where I live. Setting out on my favorite single speed mtn bike I did three laps and then checked the results. I was surprised when I found out that that loop was a thing on Strava and I had the 10th best recorded single lap time. Being the competitive person that I am I decided take the road bike out in an attempt to better my standings. Two days later I hit it again. Success! I moved up to a respectable 5th knocking almost two minutes off of my previous lap time. The competitive fire never goes out!
Likes For bikejoel:
Old 05-11-20, 07:11 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejoel
Being somewhat new to Strava I decided to use it to record my time around a 2.9 mile loop where I live. Setting out on my favorite single speed mtn bike I did three laps and then checked the results. I was surprised when I found out that that loop was a thing on Strava and I had the 10th best recorded single lap time. Being the competitive person that I am I decided take the road bike out in an attempt to better my standings. Two days later I hit it again. Success! I moved up to a respectable 5th knocking almost two minutes off of my previous lap time. The competitive fire never goes out!
There's no way I can compete with the young hardbodies on the popular Strava segments around here, but by opting for the Premium membership you can get results by age group, which goes by 5-yr increments up to I think 80+. In the 70-74 AG I'm often in the top tier and even snagged a AG KOM once when I happened to be one of the first riders on a very rough section of rail-trail that had just been paved over with smooth asphalt. Competitively I'm more of a runner than a cyclist and it's useful there just to compare my own performances as well as in my AG.
Old 05-11-20, 09:46 AM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have to admit I haven't read the entire 126 pages... just the first and last page. But since I'm way over the minimum age, I figured I'd chime in anyway. I'm glad the entire page is not just a list of injuries! I did just get a mount for the Garmin put on my mtb. I think that rather than stay and chat I'm going to go try it out.
Old 05-11-20, 10:01 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by MadKaw
I have to admit I haven't read the entire 126 pages... just the first and last page. But since I'm way over the minimum age, I figured I'd chime in anyway. I'm glad the entire page is not just a list of injuries! I did just get a mount for the Garmin put on my mtb. I think that rather than stay and chat I'm going to go try it out.
Your tag line made me chuckle.
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. — Emo Phillips"
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 05-11-20, 10:56 AM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I got back from my ride. I am SO out of shape. But I am alive and breathing (koff...koff) It was 32ºF out there which is both below my normal temperature limit (but there was no ice) and crazy cold for the middle of May. At least it wasn't snowing.
Old 05-12-20, 03:46 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
You’re tougher than me; riding at 32 degrees! We’ve had snow 2 of the last 3 days. It isn’t all that abnormal for this time of year, but after 50 years here I’ve come to realize you don’t get used to long winters so much as get tired of them. I can’t help thinking, “I know it’s sunny and warm somewhere”. When the warmer weather does come, all will be forgiven and I’ll think I live in the most beautiful place on earth.
Old 05-12-20, 03:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by MadKaw
I have to admit I haven't read the entire 126 pages... just the first and last page. But since I'm way over the minimum age, I did just get a mount for the Garmin put on my mtb. I think that rather than stay and chat I'm going to go try it out.
It's always best to 'try it out' than 'stay and chat' about it.

Think I'll go do the same. Feeling pretty vintage myself lately, so likely one of these.

And FWIW, i'm with Miami Biker regarding mileage. 40-60 miles in a day is good. I always thought 100-150 mi/wk, 40 weeks per year was good annual for me. Since about '84.

All my centuries are metric now - better food than the final 100milers get!

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-12-20 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 06:44 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by Wildwood
All my centuries are metric now - better food than the final 100milers get!
Your comment about food reminds me of what I'm finding difficult about riding during this shutdown. I usually end up riding solo, so in lieu of a group consensus on where we're going, I always set some sort of goal or significant destination. By "significant" I mean someplace that usually involves food, whether a cafe for a late breakfast or lunch, a coffee shop, or just a DQ for ice cream, and that hasn't been possible up to now (although I think that some counter-service places such as DQ are now operating). It has also been difficult to get my DW to ride with me since her first thought is always "where are the bathrooms" and most of those along our rail-trails are also closed -- even the vault toilets that are her last refuge.

Tomorrow I'm gong to try a favorite route that takes me out to a rural town that usually has someplace to eat and see if anything is open yet. Grabbing something at a gas station convenience store is just not the same thing...
Old 05-13-20, 11:56 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
My Main ride, she was bough as a N+1, but quickly became number 1 choice. I love to ride her!

My Baby

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Likes For SammyJ:
Old 05-14-20, 08:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Your comment about food reminds me of what I'm finding difficult about riding during this shutdown. I usually end up riding solo, so in lieu of a group consensus on where we're going, I always set some sort of goal or significant destination. By "significant" I mean someplace that usually involves food, whether a cafe for a late breakfast or lunch, a coffee shop, or just a DQ for ice cream, and that hasn't been possible up to now (although I think that some counter-service places such as DQ are now operating). It has also been difficult to get my DW to ride with me since her first thought is always "where are the bathrooms" and most of those along our rail-trails are also closed -- even the vault toilets that are her last refuge.

Tomorrow I'm gong to try a favorite route that takes me out to a rural town that usually has someplace to eat and see if anything is open yet. Grabbing something at a gas station convenience store is just not the same thing...
Also our situation on our tandem, long time group riders, now just us. I plan our routes to somehow arrive at a grocery store or similar at midpoint. There are enough rural roads around here that many routes are possible using a few different stores. They have toilets and we are Dove Bar fans, though we'll take substitutes. We wear masks in the store and eat our snacks outside..

We don't plan on eating indoors anywhere for a very long time. Social distanced indoor seating is not a sensible concept. Indoors, you're all breathing the same air no matter how far apart you are. It's a time-in-zone kind of thing. A quick in and out somewhere, no problem but the longer we're in there and the smaller the airspace, the more viral particles might get inhaled. Once we see no new infections in our county for a week, then we might eat out. We still have ~200/day in Washington and traffic is picking back up again.
Old 05-21-20, 07:05 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
just a feeler question

any serious interest in a 65 + Jersey?

look for my post in the gereral 50+

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 05-23-20, 07:13 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by SammyJ
just a feeler question

any serious interest in a 65 + Jersey?

look for my post in the gereral 50+
In general, I find that the older I get, the less I'm drawn to jerseys with lettering and other such graphics. The last two I've purchased have been mostly solid color with maybe some subtle pattern or accent colors. The exception would be a jersey from a significant event, such as the one I got after completing the GAP-C&O trail trip from Pittsburgh to D.C.
Old 05-25-20, 02:10 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
My longest and most expensive ride this year

I’ve been trying to ride almost every day, weather and other activities (like grocery shopping) allowing. Saturday, my neighbor and cycling buddy and I took a 22 mile ride that ended up being the longest of the year so far and very expensive. We rode from Ashburn, VA to Leesburg, VA and stopping at Spokes Etc shop. And sprang for a new Specialized Vado 4 SL.

The new bike will be ready for pickup Wednesday or Thursday. The shop, like so many others was very busy, selling and fixing for the never ending line waiting their turn inside.

Last Thursday and today did my short loop. About 5.2 miles. Been doing that two or three times a week for the past month, interspersed with a longer rider here or there. When I start using the Vado, I expect to double my workout distances. And be happier too.
Old 05-26-20, 12:06 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by BEC111
I’ve been trying to ride almost every day, weather and other activities (like grocery shopping) allowing. Saturday, my neighbor and cycling buddy and I took a 22 mile ride that ended up being the longest of the year so far and very expensive. We rode from Ashburn, VA to Leesburg, VA and stopping at Spokes Etc shop. And sprang for a new Specialized Vado 4 SL.
Sweet! Be sure to let us know what you think of it. However, you've now triggered "Buyer's Remorse x 2" for me. I bought a Vado 4 and took delivery in early March, which seemed like a lucky stroke since two weeks later we were locked down and the shops were closed for 6 weeks,. Well, the first round of pangs came a few weeks later when Specialized started offering a discounted price plus rebate on that specific model that would have saved me almost $1K! I can live with that if I don't think about it too much, but then I recently read about the new Vado SL series and was really sorry I jumped the gun (how could I have known?) since the SL is what I have really been looking for all along: I'm only looking for a moderate assistance boost, and I would really like the lighter weight. At my age, and with some chronic back fragility, the Vado is tough for me to manage if I have to lift it myself, such as putting on my bike rack. I can do it as far as strength goes, but my back is sometimes sore afterwards.

Not much that I can do about it now and overall I'm satisfied with the Vado, but I might be trading up a bit sooner than I expected to. The whole market and availability of e-bikes is growing and changing so much that there's no telling what will catch my eye when I'm ready. The only thing I can guarantee is that I'll no sooner buy it than they'll come out with something better...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.