Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikes for small riders?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikes for small riders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 10:03 AM
goes_numb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
I see you are in New York and this is on NY Craigslist. My friend has one which I put flat handlebars on and this is an easy conversion.
Yeah we are meeting up to try that one out tomorrow. Any tips on the conversion? I couldn't find out handlebar size online, so I haven't started looking at components for a conversion. Do you think that price is about right or should I be asking for a reduction?

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
I'm only 5'1" myself and other than my custom 650c wheeled road bike, I ride 24" wheeled juvenile bikes when it comes to "off the shelf" bikes.

Try Giant, [URL removed]
I personally ride an ARX24 which I have modified a bit for better fit but the fundamentals are there. The Escape Jr 24 may work quite well for your wife right out of the box.
Any complaints about the Giant bikes? I hadn't seen their youth section before. Looks like a few of the shops around here have availability so this could be a good choice.

Last edited by goes_numb; 05-16-20 at 10:58 AM. Reason: avoid a second post
Old 05-16-20, 10:07 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by goes_numb
If you are in the NYC area, we'd love to try it out and would be comfortable meeting in a park, wearing gloves, masks etc for safety.
Unfortunately, I'm about 4 hours south of NYC.
Old 05-16-20, 06:23 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Any complaints about the Giant bikes? I hadn't seen their youth section before. Looks like a few of the shops around here have availability so this could be a good choice.
I have no complaints about Giant bikes. Giant, really is the "GIANT", of the bicycle industry. Give them a try.

EDIT: The XTC JR 24 LITE looks like another good candidate to look at.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 05-16-20 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-17-20, 08:09 PM
goes_numb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

We ended picking up the Centurion LeMans. It is in great shape and fits her really well. Now we have to do a bit of work - new grip tape, white saddle, and possibly a longer quill stem.
Old 05-17-20, 10:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

We ended picking up the Centurion LeMans. It is in great shape and fits her really well. Now we have to do a bit of work - new grip tape, white saddle, and possibly a longer quill stem.
Since you don’t know exactly what stem length you might want, do yourself a favor and get a threadless stem adaptor. Changing stems is far easier with a threadless stem than with a goose neck like the bike has now. You’ll need a threadless stem for a 25.4mm handlebar. You should be able to find tons of used stems.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-18-20, 10:12 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
My friend has this very bike and I am quite familiar with it (and by the way - it's a great bike). The frame is very "long" - ie the top tube is longer than the seat tube so be aware that putting on a longer stem is going to make it even longer so unless the person has short legs but a very long torso I would hesitate before doing this. For my friend (female, 5'3") it was too stretched out so I put flat bars on it to make it more upright and relaxed and she much prefers it that way.
Old 05-18-20, 12:26 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I'm a short guy and have spent the last 40yrs trying to find the right size frame for me and my even smaller wife. Most of the major players sell a 44cm sized bike. That sized frame with 650 wheels should do the trick I would think. Watch Ebay or search Craigslist throughout your state. Also, FELT has very small frames. Good luck.
Old 05-18-20, 08:21 PM
goes_numb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
My friend has this very bike and I am quite familiar with it (and by the way - it's a great bike). The frame is very "long" - ie the top tube is longer than the seat tube so be aware that putting on a longer stem is going to make it even longer so unless the person has short legs but a very long torso I would hesitate before doing this. For my friend (female, 5'3") it was too stretched out so I put flat bars on it to make it more upright and relaxed and she much prefers it that way.
Realized I was a little sloppy with the use of the word "longer". Should have said taller. I found that velo orange has a few options that should help keep the look and feel of the bike the same. Turns out she is more comfortable in the drops than expected, so we're gonna stick with those for a bit.
Likes For goes_numb:
Old 05-19-20, 07:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Realized I was a little sloppy with the use of the word "longer". Should have said taller. I found that velo orange has a few options that should help keep the look and feel of the bike the same. Turns out she is more comfortable in the drops than expected, so we're gonna stick with those for a bit.
Good for both of you, that's a great bike! I suspect the more she rides her new steed the more comfortable she'll get. Well, as soon as her backside gets used to being on a saddle. Find her some nice supple tires and you may have trouble getting her off the bike. (I may be projecting.)

Oh, and pics if she's comfortable with it.