Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Sea Gull Century - What to expect, whos riding

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 07:46 AM
J.Lockdown
Cat 4

Bikes: Blue RC6AL - Rival Build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will be my first year at attemping the Sea Gull Centry out on the eastorn shore. I have not done anything around 100 miles yet, 50 being my longest ride. I am currently trainning for 100 miles and this is on a rolling route so I figure that should put me in good shape.

Anyway since I have yet to do a 100 mile ride, along with this particular ride, should I expect anything? I have done riding out on the Outer Banks so I have done some 50 mile rides on the flats in wind. Also who will be riding in it? Cause might be nice to meet some of the folks from the forum and maybe do a pace line if its to windy?
Old 09-06-08, 10:56 AM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The quick bits about the Sea Gull Century:

1. It's very flat - the only major climbs are on the bridges leading to and from the island.

2. There are monster pacelines (gotta cheat the wind, right?), so it's good to be comfortable riding in big groups. As such, you need to be very mindful of your fellow riders, as the accidents can be gigantic.

3. If you can get up to, say, a 62-65 mile ride without any problems, a 100-miler will be attainable. And the Sea Gull is a great way to go, given its flat terrain.

Should be fun! Dunno if I'll be there or not, but if I go, I'll let the forum know.
Old 09-06-08, 11:16 AM
HC203

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seagull

Some say it is the easiest century you can do. I did it years ago when I was out of shape and again last year with kids. This year, better shape, no kids. The pacelines are long and sometimes they are all lined up behind a few tandems like a train. I'll be there hopefully meeting up with some Baltimore folks.
Old 09-06-08, 11:21 AM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't comment. The only 2 years I have done this ride were the two rainy as CR@P years in a row in recent history. I am a bit gun-shy about going again.

-D
Old 09-06-08, 11:22 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode it in '98. Fun ride! The wind can be a killer. Thanks to a paceline, we finished in something like 4 hours.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 09-06-08, 11:36 AM
J.Lockdown
Cat 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done some pace line riding but in mostly smaller groups, 6 to 2 people. I know all the hand singals, edicit, and calls. That said it would be interesting to do a large pace line.

Should I plan to bring food for the ride? and how fast you think is the average for most. I have been able to do 25 miles flat a month ago at the beach which is flat.

Worst case, I hit the wall at 60 or so miles and have to make it back, but still made it 60 miles in the century.
Old 09-06-08, 02:59 PM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are rest stops every 25 or so miles - fig newtons, bananas, watery gatorade, etc. The last rest stop is pie and ice cream. I've been doing the ride since 1990 when there were 600 riders and a mass start. If you don't have a room yet - you'll be making LOTS of calls finding one within 20 miles. Check out Maggs Center on campus the night before if you can - they have a nice wine and cheese gig and lots of vendors with clothes etc on the cheap. Also, a nice dinner the past few years THAT IS FREE! The day of the ride they have a beer garden - your wallet this time but fun. The metric is much more laid back than the century. We are never in any rush and I'm usually done the metric by 2 and my husband is done the century by 3. My husband is probably an above average cyclist and probably averages about 20+ for the century. I'm slow - usually about 12 - 14 on the roads her in Baltimore but average a bit higher there since its flat and you get on some fast wheels.
HAve fun. LEaving for CWC now.
Old 09-07-08, 10:45 AM
J.Lockdown
Cat 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning on just driving in that morning for the centruey. My legs have problems getting up and going for early rides so driving 2 hours should get them going. Plus rather not spend the extra money if possible and 2 hour drive for me is nice. But I should definitly be coming and hopefully will meet up with some people.
Old 09-07-08, 07:56 PM
mattyknacks

Bikes: 2008 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The G/F and I are driving down from NYC to do the metric century. Hope to meet some of you guys and gals during the ride. We will be the ones without the funny accents
Old 09-08-08, 06:40 AM
emcb1230

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veloellen
If you don't have a room yet - you'll be making LOTS of calls finding one within 20 miles.
hmmmm, so its gonna be tough to find a room in Salisbury? That may make my decision to do this century a little easier.
Old 09-08-08, 07:08 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
If there's no wind or rain, you won't find a faster or easier course. The food at the rest stops is good and the pie and ice cream at the last stop makes the final 17 miles easy.

The problem is the huge pacelines/peloton that build up. Riders tend to group and wait for large pacelines to form at the start and rest stops. Once a group starts, other riders join in. So you might have two hundred riders doing 25 mph that don't know each other with mixed riding skills and experience. Add to that, these pacelines are flying by other riders that often are struggling and going slow. The crashes often involve a couple dozen riders.
Old 09-08-08, 09:58 AM
rizz
I'm that guy that I am.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The number one rule to remember when doing your first century, especially on a flat, fast course like this: Go at your own pace. If you see a line rolling past at 25 MPH, let them go unless you can maintain that pace, even while drafting. If another passes at 18 MPH and that's more your speed, jump on it as getting out of the wind is a priority on this route.

If you see the Bearded, Chicken-Legged Racer Guy(tm) on a grey CAAD9 with '09 Rival, that's me. My Neuvation wheels make it easy to spot me in a crowd. Say hi.
Old 09-08-08, 11:18 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in, rider # 355. The biggest roll of the dice with this ride is the weather. It can be absolutely perfect (mid-70's, sunny, light breeze) or absolutely horrible (upper 40's, day-long rain, high winds.) I note that this year it's being held on October 4th. For at least the previous 5 or 6 years, and I think for longer than that, it's always been Columbus Day weekend. I wonder if they had a scheduling conflict, or were just worried about the weather since Columbus Day is relatively late this year.

So, on the clothing front, be prepared for anything.

Bring some money with you. If you're so inclined, you can get a hot meal at the concession on Assateague Island, at the 62-mile mark. A few years back (on one of those aforementioned cold, wet, windy rides, when a bunch of us were huddling under the hand dryers in the ladies room, desperately trying to dry off and warm up a little, LOL!) I took the time to get a grilled chicken sandwich and fries. I don't normally eat meals during a century ride, but on that particular day, it was *just* what I needed!

Others have made good comments about the pacelines. Something else: the Seagull attracts a lot of first-time century riders, such as yourself, but who may not have your road-riding experience, or any experience in handling themselves around thousands of other cyclists. Especially early in the ride, when things are more bunched up, fully expect that, at any moment, the cyclist right in front of you is going to do something stupid.

To the poster who asked about finding a room in Salisbury: I would be surprised if you find anything this late. Also: every hotel/motel in the Salisbury area doubles its rates for the weekend of the Seagull. Because I'm coming from so far away, anyway, I just keep going another 30 miles and stay in Ocean City. For the same (or cheaper) price, I get a nicer place to stay, and a more fun post-ride-party venue. I'm toying with the idea of camping on Assateague this year.
Old 09-08-08, 04:19 PM
J.Lockdown
Cat 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
If there's no wind or rain, you won't find a faster or easier course. The food at the rest stops is good and the pie and ice cream at the last stop makes the final 17 miles easy.

The problem is the huge pacelines/peloton that build up. Riders tend to group and wait for large pacelines to form at the start and rest stops. Once a group starts, other riders join in. So you might have two hundred riders doing 25 mph that don't know each other with mixed riding skills and experience. Add to that, these pacelines are flying by other riders that often are struggling and going slow. The crashes often involve a couple dozen riders.
The pace lines are what concern me the most with people I have never ridden with before. I dont have a problem riding in oen its just I dont want someone that is not paying attention to bump me. The more people the more likely u will go down.
Old 09-09-08, 09:35 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Just stay to the right and you'll be fine. The people that get bumped are in the middle of the road riding slow and weaving
Old 09-09-08, 10:37 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my crappy cell phone pix from last year:

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...view=slideshow

Maxine appears in the second pic (to the left in the pink jersey).

Last edited by NoRacer; 09-09-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-09-08, 02:17 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I rode the same two years as one of the previous poster's. 2005 and 2006 - lots of wind and some rain thrown in for good measure.

I can imagine that if you're not riding in a tropical storm, this would be a very fun century. Without question, the support is great. Good luck, hope you have good weather, and don't get caught up in bridge construction.
Old 09-10-08, 11:23 AM
J.Lockdown
Cat 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Here's my crappy cell phone pix from last year:

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...view=slideshow

Maxine appears in the second pic (to the left in the pink jersey).
Very cool pictures of the event. Looks like theirs going to be a bunch of people their.

I need to get a new saddle and bibs before the event though. Saddle is needed the most cause the stock one that came with my bike just blows. Theirs no way im spending 100 miles on it, cause at 50 miles it just gets annoying.

Last edited by J.Lockdown; 09-10-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-17-08, 08:29 PM
Porter20

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9; Madone 5.1; Trek 6500 & Trek 1500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Alrighty sports fans. After looking at this one for a while; I finally pulled the trigger & am driving up from South Carolina to ride in this thing. I haven't been riding much the last month (I am letting this thing called work get in the way of my priorities); but figure I have 3 weeks to get my legs ready for it & still have a couple pounds to lose to get to riding weight. I noticed that I was rider number: 5529; which means that is quite a turnout. I have no idea what I am wearing that day; hopefully not a rainjacket!!

For those of you who have ridden this in the past; can you offer some insight on the after ride events? Particularly I have a some questions regarding the "lawn party": Should I bring a chair? Can I bring a cooler with my own adult beverages? Can friends who are not riding the event come by & enjoy the band with me? Do a lot people hang out for the event? Also, can someone let me know if a post race meal is included in the cost of registration? Or do you have to pay for the post race meal? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-08, 08:40 PM
hrt4me

Bikes: Cervelo P2, Scott S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been on the fence about this one... even though I'd be coming from NoVA (Tyson's Corner), I'd prefer to have convenient lodging... I'm comfortable riding in groups and pacelines, but you guys make these seem downright dangerous...
Old 09-18-08, 05:02 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've done about 13 of them so far. I love this ride, but this year I just dont feel like it. I'll be camping that weekend in Caroline County.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 09-18-08, 05:22 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Porter20
For those of you who have ridden this in the past; can you offer some insight on the after ride events? Particularly I have a some questions regarding the "lawn party": Should I bring a chair? Can I bring a cooler with my own adult beverages? Can friends who are not riding the event come by & enjoy the band with me? Do a lot people hang out for the event? Also, can someone let me know if a post race meal is included in the cost of registration? Or do you have to pay for the post race meal? Thanks in advance.
I don't remember anything being free during the "lawn party". I remember having to buy tickets for food and beer. The only thing I saw given away was Red Bull by the Red Bull Girls in their Red Bull car along the course. The rest of it, you paid for.

You should be able to bring a lawn chair. At times, it was so crowded under the tents that you weren't going to find a seat and had to sit under the sun, but last year was an anomaly compared to many of the preceding years (from what I've read). Who knows, it may be stormy again this year.
Old 09-18-08, 05:29 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hrt4me
Been on the fence about this one... even though I'd be coming from NoVA (Tyson's Corner), I'd prefer to have convenient lodging... I'm comfortable riding in groups and pacelines, but you guys make these seem downright dangerous...
What is dangerous is the newbie rider who goes somewhere where they shouldn't or panics at the sound of fast approaching bicycles. Other than that, ride by yourself if that suites you or ride in a paceline who's speed you are comfortable with if you have the experience, but don't make this century your first attempt at riding in a paceline. There's too many people out there to make this a "paceline training" ride.

You still have to be aware of motor vehicle traffic on many stretches of the course, too.

Last edited by NoRacer; 09-18-08 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 06:01 AM
G-Whacker
Affable Aberrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hrt4me
There's a brand new Hampton Inn in Fruitland (about 1.5 miles from the start @ SU) give tham a shot.
You'll be more than comfortable on this ride- it's really more of a party than a serious century. You can choose your speed and find a group that fits you really easily on this ride. The pacelines can get long, but that just means less work for everyone.

Is anyone doing the Sunday feast/ ride? I'm doing the Old Mill for the first time this year and was wondering if there is a normal depart time for the ride part. (If it's raining-I'm driving!)

Last edited by G-Whacker; 09-18-08 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 09:14 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoRacer
I remember having to buy tickets for food and beer. The only thing I saw given away was Red Bull by the Red Bull Girls in their Red Bull car along the course.
This is a good deal considering how expensive Red Bull is.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.