Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best way to clean braking surface?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 03:49 PM
acrowder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having a lot of trouble getting brake pad residue/dust off of a rim. The rim is textured with a bunch of small parallel ridges, presumably to increase the surface area - seems to be making it a lot harder to clean, though.

Is there a chemical cleaner made specifically for doing this, or do you guys have some helpful tips? Thanks.
Old 08-06-12, 04:18 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have found that a dampened microfiber towel does the job as well as anything. A minute per side,...if they're grubby.
Old 08-06-12, 04:36 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Main killer of braking surface grip is oily stuff that dissolves in organic solvent (gas/diesel/wd40/alcohol/vinegar/etc) but some of those (diesel/wd40, even gasoline) leave oily residues as well. A clean wipe with isoproplic alcohol (electronics's alcohol) will give you best clean ever (but it cannot move a thick layer of greasy stuff, so first you should clean the heavy stuff with some gasoline/paint thinner and finish off with the mentioned alcohol)

As a retail product, there are brake cleaner sprays, also engine cleaner sprays that do a very nice job (beware not to touch the paint as it may be damaged, also it strips away any lube from chain/cassette. But if you have some acetone (nail polish remover) or electronist's alcohol (isopropilic) it will be squeaky clean without paying the $ on a brake cleaner spray. (paint thinner does fair as well, ethillic alcohol works slow and is not that great and is a pity not to drink it )

You can find brake cleaner spray and engine cleaner spray in most (any) automotive parts store, and even petrol stations. - for a few $ depending on quantity and brand.

Last edited by Asi; 08-06-12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 04:53 PM
acrowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info, that's the kind of tip I was looking for. Stuff is really stuck in there.
Old 08-06-12, 06:53 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Never use gasoline as a cleaner. Besides its flammability and the potential to generate explosive vapors, it is toxic to breathe and for skin contact. It will also leave behind a varnish-like residue. There are many safe, effective cleaners out there as alternatives.
Old 08-06-12, 07:15 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Never use gasoline as a cleaner. Besides its flammability and the potential to generate explosive vapors, it is toxic to breathe and for skin contact. It will also leave behind a varnish-like residue. There are many safe, effective cleaners out there as alternatives.
+1. I won't ever mess with gasoline or aerosol brake cleaners. They are not only unsafe, it is definitely overkill. What works for me is Denatured Alcohol (recommended by an old wrench I knew). Denatured Alcohol works and it leaves no residue.
Old 08-06-12, 07:51 PM
loubikes

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, Bianchi Brava, Bianchi Mondiale

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Main killer of braking surface grip is oily stuff that dissolves in organic solvent (gas/diesel/wd40/alcohol/vinegar/etc) but some of those (diesel/wd40, even gasoline) leave oily residues as well. A clean wipe with isoproplic alcohol (electronics's alcohol) will give you best clean ever (but it cannot move a thick layer of greasy stuff, so first you should clean the heavy stuff with some gasoline/paint thinner and finish off with the mentioned alcohol)
Interesting.

I had heard to use rubbing alcohol before, so I did. Several times and it just doesn't work on a lot of stuff on the rim. I was trying to clean mine because it was squeaking.

I have an engine cleaner I think I'll try and then rubbing alcohol.
Old 08-06-12, 08:22 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use paper towels and automotive brakes parts cleaner but sparingly and in a well ventilated area.
Old 08-07-12, 03:00 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for gasoline as a cleaner, depends what you clean. Here is not the best use (as I said it leaves some oily stuff as well) but a chain dipped in gasoline makes wonders.
As for safety it really depends, even nitroglycerine may be safe if treated with care. And for that matter in older days I used to wash my hands with gasoline or paint thinner to get rid of a lot of oil after I worked on cars/engines/etc where some % of my body was literally black - I would advise against touching gasoline or other "heavy stuff" but it's no biggie if you do though.

I'm quite fond of isopropyl alcohol* because it is fast dry, leaves no residue, dissolves both oily and water based stuff, dislodge any dust/gunk, etc. I use it anywhere as a final clean from wiping clean a mirror from the telescope, to just clean some parts that have a lot of clogged dust/oil (chainring bolts, brake calipers, etc).
Acetone** works much like this alcohol, but I like the alcohol better.
Paint thinner also works but it's not so clean, and is not very fast drying.
The only downside of this solvents is that is not that cheap to can give a bath in it, and does not move a lot of the oily stuff. So for cleaning a lot of grease oil like in chains, bearings, cogs, you would use a lot of solvent, so better to start cheap (gasoline/mineral spirits/paint thinner/etc - take your pick)
_______
*-electronist's alcohol, 99% pure alcohol, no mixtures with other stuff found in rubbing alcohol that may even not contain this type of alcohol.

**- pure acetone found in some older nail polish removers, but nowadays is being diluted and mixed with a lot of other stuff. I buy pure acetone from the chemical store 99% pure sold at liter.
Old 08-07-12, 03:51 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alcohol usually works fine, but for very greasy rims, I use " Starting Fluid " sprayed on a rag & rubbed in the directions of the grooves. Lightly run pads , too, when finished.
Old 08-07-12, 04:32 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would avoid letting any of the above come into contact with your tyres. What have you got on the rims that's so greasy anyway? I usually just use regular bike cleaner (Muc Off, or equivalent) and it works like a charm (and is safe to use on tyres).
Old 08-14-12, 03:17 PM
acrowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Matt, it's just brake residue. The real issue is the braking surface, which has small grooves in it. I think it probably helps, except that the grooves get full of gunk after a while. My front brake pad is fine, but when applied it just makes a "shhhhh" sound and doesn't work well.

Anyway, it's pretty hard to get in there even with a brush, so I was hoping a chemical would help. I haven't tried yet but I'm probably going to go with isopropyl alcohol.
Old 08-14-12, 03:55 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Use a Scotchbrite pad or a plastic kitchen scourer and some elbow grease.
Old 08-14-12, 05:09 PM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's just brake pad deposit then a toothbrush and some basic bike cleaner will have it off in no time. How big are these grooves we are talking about? Any chance of a photo?
Old 08-14-12, 07:05 PM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I simply use glass cleaner & a rag. If it is really bad ( long rain ride or grease / sludge), then I use simple green, followed up by glass cleaner to remove the simple green residue. Works well. Oh, glass cleaner on the brake pads too.
Old 08-15-12, 05:28 AM
Esteban32696

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those ridges sound like they are trapping more residue than rims with smooth sides. It is unbelievable how greasy they can get in some cities. Throuroughly clean , keep clean, & I always recommend Kool-Stop pads.

Last edited by Esteban32696; 08-15-12 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 05:47 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by Matt Gaunt
If it's just brake pad deposit then a toothbrush and some basic bike cleaner will have it off in no time. How big are these grooves we are talking about? Any chance of a photo?
If it's the finish I'm thinking of, it's like 5-6 ridges per mm or so.

Never ridden em, but if they don't make for an advantage in the wet they're a dumb idea IMO... only improved wet braking would be worth not having a smooth surface.
Old 08-15-12, 06:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
windex? simple green? and a cloth with tooth like an actual old towel or paer towels
Old 08-15-12, 07:24 AM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eagle-One Nevr Dul does a nice job of polishing them up. I just got a used wheel with a bunch of black stuff stuck in the brake tracks, and it even polished that right out (combined with plenty of elbow grease).
Old 08-15-12, 07:27 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
This. But make sure the clean off all the elbow grease when done.
Old 08-15-12, 08:05 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't use Windex or anything with ammonia, eats metal over time.
Old 08-15-12, 08:09 AM
Kimmo

Maybe a bit of cream cleanser from under the sink if you're feeling wimpy
Old 08-15-12, 08:18 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Scotchbrite or fine grit sandpaper followed by rubbing alcohol has always done the trick for me.
Old 08-15-12, 08:26 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yep. Here in the shop, we've tried dozens of methods. Alcohol and scubby pads (we cut 'em into 1"x1" squares) have yet to fail.

Don't forget to take a file or emery cloth to the pads, and use a pick to remove embedded bits of metal.
Old 08-15-12, 10:35 AM
arej00dazed

Bikes: '09 Giant Boulder SE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a set of brake pads to use that will not leave the dark residue behind? My rims are black except for the braking surface.....which are now almost black themselves. I was going to buy a set of clear pads, but the LBS guy told me the squeak alot. I tried rubbing alcohol w/-w/o a scour pad and even chrome polish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.