Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Building electric trike to travel from UK to Cape Town, any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 01:56 AM
firesafari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The trike I will be using is can be found here https://www.missioncycles.co.uk/disde...EY%3A366PAR%3A, the diesel motor can be found here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Hp-ELECT...item53e694ff48, the alternator is 65A lucas model with regulator, the slave battery is a 45AH, the charger for three 15AH batteries can be found here https://www.sp-shop.co.uk/Sterling-Po...Fe7MtAodAQ4AeQ, the ebike kit here https://www.cyclone-tw.com/order-double.htm, namely the "960W 36V " double freewheel Kit" speed up to 55 km/h ( with 36V cyclone controller)".

I am a biologist and the half year physics module at university took three years to pass, that explains my problem, Does the above system look feasible? I am fine mechanically have been in the safari industry for many years and having to solve mechanical problems. OK I understand that this may not be an extremely efficient system, but it must be remember that charging points are few and far between in Africa. This system is purely designed to eliminate the need for finding charging places.

Another problem is finding a large toothed cog to fit on a "10 Hole 1.3/8-24 Right Hand threads Flanged Freewheel" which can be found here https://www.staton-inc.com/store/prod...el-1329-0.html.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
diagram.jpg (61.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-17-12, 06:57 AM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:

bump
Old 12-17-12, 08:17 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can certainly see the benefit of using a small gas or diesel motor. Once you have one, I'm not sure it's worth it to carry around the batteries and electric motor. You lose a lot of energy if you charge batteries and then use them to power an electric motor, versus linking your diesel motor to the wheels. It's something like half as efficient, after you've lost some in the batteries (charging and discharging) and some in the alternator and in the electric motor.
Old 12-18-12, 08:06 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dump the electric part unless you have some reason for it you haven't stated.
Old 12-19-12, 05:28 AM
rscamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestions off the top:

- I think you'd be a lot more comfortable and less likely to tip over on a recumbent trike.
- Estimate power requirement and "fuel economy" using available online calculators

Check out BROL and Endless Sphere for more info on recumbents and electric power systems respectively.
Old 12-19-12, 06:04 AM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just bring a portable Honda generator & a solar panel , when you stop for a meals
do a recharge , gas up the generator feed the lions then hit the trail again.
Film your adventure on Helmet Cam like Charley Boorman, on one of his series in Africa on BMW motorbikes they ran into a fellow on a bicycle who's been making his way across Africa for the last 8 years. So figure a couple years to complete your journey ?
Old 01-21-13, 04:26 AM
firesafari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Progress report on the etrike build. It can be followed here.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Been-...2577073?ref=hl
Old 01-29-13, 06:13 PM
chvid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm skeptical of the axles on your bike trailer. They won't support that much weight being unsupported on one side and are liable to bend if the trailer is "heavily" loaded. I also think the electric parts add unnecessary complexity (unless the vehicle is pure electric) and weight and losses. I'd either pick pure fossil fuel or pure electric. I do imagine you will be riding longer distances with no recharge points, so you need fossils to charge the battery, but why bother with electric at all in this case? And delta trikes are notoriously unstable at speed, although you will have a lot of weight with all that water on board. A recumbent tadpole would be a better bet as mentioned earlier. Are all the mechanical bearings isolated from sand and grit? Please note also, cyclones have issues in the wet. With a recumbent and a freewheeling gear motor, you would have the possibility of pedalling the beast if there were any problems - "appropriate technology" for Africa. Good luck anyways.

Last edited by chvid; 01-29-13 at 06:18 PM.