Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A point about cyclist and road taxes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 06:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

First of all I would like to point out the fact that probably 99% of cyclist own cars, and therefore pay road taxes. So--I dont really get the reason why some people get their underlovelies in a bunch over cyclist using streets and hiways.

Now may I point out that these tax paying cyclist that drive cars and pay taxes for our roads are banned from a lot of roads and hiways. Generally cyclist are banned from the interstate hiways. Some states allow cyclist to ride the interstates especially where there are no other roads. The thing I see is the fact that interstate hiways almost alway have huge wide shoulders where a cyclist could safely ride.
Old 03-19-13, 07:10 AM
ratdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the record, a lot of people that pay taxes don't even own a car.
Old 03-19-13, 07:33 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This topic is discussed in like every A&S thread.
Old 03-19-13, 02:13 PM
High Roller
Transportation Cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with those who have stated that human-powered transportation is a basic right, not a privilege subject to taxation by the government. And the last thing we need is yet another barrier discouraging people from cycling.

If cyclists are to be assessed a vehicle registration fee to pay their fair share of road maintenance costs, such a fee should take into account that damage to roads is proportional to vehicle weight. I’ll fork over $1 per vehicle pound per year for my bicycle if motorists will do likewise for their vehicle of choice.
Old 03-19-13, 02:34 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
First of all I would like to point out the fact that probably 99% of cyclist own cars
I don't believe this to be true. I think the figure (in this country) is probably closer to 80% (and it's probably even lower outside this country), though it probably varies massively from area to area.

Cases where somebody is particularly (much more than average, anyways) likely to own a bike but not a car --

-- children
-- college students
-- homeless/extremely poor people
-- people who live in an extremely densely populated area like NYC

Personally, I've got quite a few friends who don't own cars. Of course, I've got lots of cycling friends and live in a college town, so my situation is rather atypical.

Still, whether it's 80% or 99% or something else, we do agree that in in the majority of cases, cyclists in the US own (at least partially, such as a one car family) a car as well, so yes, this argument is quite weak.

But it's not meant to be a strong argument. It's merely a feeble attempt at a justification for their prejudice that doesn't sound quite as selfish as "I don't like them slowing me down" and "money spent on them doesn't benefit me, therefore I think it's a waste."
Old 03-19-13, 02:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
EU is considering tax credits for cyclists
Old 03-19-13, 03:07 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Looking at the first point from the perspective of a non-cyclist, then:

I already pay taxes to use the road on my Ford f150, so why should I have to pay taxes on my Motorcycle, Smartcar, Matrix, etc?

I think it a weak argument to state that,"a cyclist, who owns a car already pays tax on the car thus shouldn't need to for the bicycle."

What I would suggest is to state that, the reason motorists pay tax to use their automobile is because of the high social cost of motor vehicle use - rescue, care, treatment, policing, amount of infrastructure required, environment, etc.
That is why MV owners pay tax, bicycles and their owners simply do not account for such things.

According to Transport CAnada the social cost of automobile use amounts to $64.7 billion dollars per year. Would it be unreasonable to state that since the USA has 10 times the population, that automobile use amounts to $650 billion?

I'm sure that the US equivalent to StatsCan would have those figures.

Last edited by digger; 03-19-13 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 03:16 PM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing I see is the fact that interstate hiways almost alway have huge wide shoulders where a cyclist could safely ride.
I think part of the reasoning there is that it can be many miles between exits and they are usually fenced.
Old 03-19-13, 05:47 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Every four years my city passes a new bond to repair the damage to our roads caused by motorists. (We don't have weather-induced damage.) My wife did a "back of the envelope" calculation for how much we save our local government every time we choose to not use a car for our errands, but I forgot what number she came up with (not that it matters). We were thinking that cyclists should receive a rebate for every mile. Now, some will say that many of those miles are just recreational, which is true. However, only 20% of all motoring miles are for commuting, so it's not like the recreational motorists aren't a factor in breaking down our roads.

It's unlikely to happen, but the discussion would do a world of good for getting rid of that refrain of ignorant motorists: The cyclists aren't paying their fair share.
Old 03-19-13, 09:53 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
The thing I see is the fact that interstate hiways almost alway have huge wide shoulders where a cyclist could safely ride.
Not always... Ever been riding on an interstate when road construction is going on, the shoulder disappears and gets replaced by jersey walls? Or an exit every mile? Or cloverleaf interchanges? I love bicycling but banning bikes from interstates in the east and major cities in the west is just being smart.
Old 03-19-13, 11:37 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Every four years my city passes a new bond to repair the damage to our roads caused by motorists. (We don't have weather-induced damage.) My wife did a "back of the envelope" calculation for how much we save our local government every time we choose to not use a car for our errands, but I forgot what number she came up with (not that it matters). We were thinking that cyclists should receive a rebate for every mile. Now, some will say that many of those miles are just recreational, which is true. However, only 20% of all motoring miles are for commuting, so it's not like the recreational motorists aren't a factor in breaking down our roads.

It's unlikely to happen, but the discussion would do a world of good for getting rid of that refrain of ignorant motorists: The cyclists aren't paying their fair share.
I would love to hear the number your wife came up with. I am not saying that to question her. I just would love to know the number.
Old 03-20-13, 07:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I would love to hear the number your wife came up with. I am not saying that to question her. I just would love to know the number.
I'd be more interested in how she calculated the number that represents "how much we save our local government every time we choose to not use a car for our errands." What she included and what she left out.
Old 03-20-13, 02:44 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Every four years my city passes a new bond to repair the damage to our roads caused by motorists. (We don't have weather-induced damage.)
You must have some mighty remarkable roads then -- in the rest of the world, they have weather-induced damage, as well as damage caused by nature even if it's not exactly weather.

As for weather related damage, rain can cause erosion, which damages roads. Cold days can have rain get into the road and freeze, cracking it. (In Oregon I wouldn't expect too much of that, but it shouldn't be unheard of.) Alternating hot and cold days probably weaken roads as well over time.

Certainly, even paved paths that *never* have motor vehicles on them still need maintenance, and if that doesn't happen they'll deteriorate to the point of being unusable in a few decades even if nobody uses them.

So it's not reasonable to look only at the damage caused by specific vehicles, as that's not the only damage done to roads. It would also be reasonable to look at damage caused by Mother Nature (by whatever mechanism) and divide that up among the users of the path if we're worrying about which groups should be paying for a path's maintenance.
Old 03-21-13, 09:04 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What does ownership of a car have to do with taxes; more specifically the funds allocated to roads? people get taxed on lots of various things; but are the taxes from car expenses specifically earmarked for road maintenance or something (as opposed to schools, etc)?
Old 03-21-13, 02:47 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
What does ownership of a car have to do with taxes; more specifically the funds allocated to roads? people get taxed on lots of various things; but are the taxes from car expenses specifically earmarked for road maintenance or something (as opposed to schools, etc)?
From what I glean, regarding the complaints I've read in various media streams, is that some non-cyclists feel that cyclists are getting a free ride ( pardon the pun) and should be paying for the use of the road.

My argument, as I outlined in post 7, is that motorists pay to offset the high social costs of motor vehicle ownership, they do not pay for the use of the road itself.
Old 03-25-13, 09:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
xenologer

Here we have wheel tax. We started it 15 years ago at fifty cents a wheel. Now a pick up has aroung $60 in wheel taxes. All of that money is supposed to be used on streets. Yah sure!!!!! Gas tax is supposed to be used for roads too, but Im sure that that tax is used else where. Again the problem is greedy b'crats that get their grubby hands on tax money and spend it where they want, rather than where it is intended.
Old 03-25-13, 10:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Again the problem is greedy b'crats that get their grubby hands on tax money and spend it where they want, rather than where it is intended.
Again, another empty headed rant.
Old 03-25-13, 05:16 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ratdog
For the record, a lot of people that pay taxes don't even own a car.
I am one of them. I have never owned a car.
Old 03-25-13, 05:20 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Wise, considering how much a cyclist saves them in not driving.
Old 03-30-13, 09:09 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Wise, considering how much a cyclist saves them in not driving.
It would also be beneficial to us in that it would give us a societal 'thumbs up'. It would help to deflate the ignorant and selfish attitude that labels us as some sort of freeloaders.

It would instead lend support to the notion that human powered transportation is superior to fossil fueled transportation.
Old 03-30-13, 11:30 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My property taxes pay for the roads in our town so everyone pays almost equally. We get less than $180,000 in gas taxes and that gets eaten up pretty quickly when I think of the few times they plow the roads when it occasionally snows, spread sand on icy days, re stripe every summer, cut the brush on the sides of the roads (which they don't do for any of our non-motorized trails). Now if cars paid anywhere near what they cost us for pollution, emergency services, wars for the petroleum, oil and gas runoff into our local waterways, etc. then I would be willing to raise my taxes on my bicycle. Our freeways here can only be used by automobiles and yet they are not completely funded by gas taxes, why not?
Old 03-31-13, 11:16 AM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
My property taxes pay for the roads in our town so everyone pays almost equally. Our freeways here can only be used by automobiles and yet they are not completely funded by gas taxes, why not?
Because it has been politcally impossible to raise the federal gas tax for about 30 years - can't think why.
Old 03-31-13, 11:25 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Honestly, I don't think I'd mind paying a reasonable road use tax for the bicycle, but I'd to howl to high heaven if it singled out bicycles and wasn't part of a general package realistically aimed at funding road maintenance.
Old 03-31-13, 01:30 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

I want to remind everyone that the Truckers with the "APPORTIONED" plates do indeed pay *real* road taxes, while the majority of motorists do not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2985.jpg (83.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-31-13, 03:08 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Honestly, I don't think I'd mind paying a reasonable road use tax for the bicycle, but I'd to howl to high heaven if it singled out bicycles and wasn't part of a general package realistically aimed at funding road maintenance.
You could move to Virginia:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...e3d_story.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.