Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gearing in cramped space

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Gearing in cramped space

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 07:12 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Gearing in cramped space

My two smallest folders, the 16" Noahhk iF10 and the 14" FSIR Spin2.0 came as single speed, and after a while i tried to add gears to them. For the Spin it was relatively easy since there are examples on the market showing which parts to use, like the Dahon Eezz, that squeezes three external gears into a 75mm wide rear frame. I could fit 5 gears into the Spin with it's 85mm O.L.D. (11-12-15-19-23, i wish for 11-13-16-20-25), sharing the space with a Big Apple tire that is a must for me, since i'm heavier than the bike is made for, a sixth gear was possible if i ran a narrower tire. Interesting that ground clearance is no issue with the derailleur, since the drivetrain points upwards from the wheel.
The Noahk didn't allow external gearing for the shape of the swingarm, largest Chainring possible is 41, stock was 38 with a 9t rear cog. After looking a while for a possible solution, i found that Sturmey Archer IGH's have a great policy of re-using the same parts inside similar hubs, allowing to re-combine existing hub parts to get the width i needed for the Noahhk, which is only 80mm O.L.D.. Both bikes run equipped like that for a few years now, and keep me busy adding small improvements.
Does anybody know, where i can get a single sprocket for standard shimano freehub with 20 teeth, for 11s standard?

Old 02-17-24, 02:49 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
You can get individual cogs from Miche. This is the screenshot from the 12 speed, but they also have 11, 10, 9
Likes For tomtomtom123: