Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suspension Seat Posts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Suspension Seat Posts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 12:15 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Suspension Seat Posts?

I've been considering a suspension seat post for my Spot aluminum-frame bike. I ride every day and only ever own one bike at a time. I'd would like to smooth out the rough spots in the road and was wondering if any of you have experience with these types of seat posts. I'm 6' tall and weigh 202 lbs.

The two I'm looking at are the Suntour and the KINEKT

Have any of you tried either of these brands? Is there another brand you'd recommend?

I'm open to any input you can give me.
Old 02-10-23, 06:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The other major options are Cane Creek, Redshift, and PNW.

The simple telescoping springs are very common on e bikes and comfort bikes
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-10-23, 06:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
I have used the kinekt for years and it has been good. my wife has one on the back of the tandem. I love the seat clasp it makes accurate adjustment and repeatability easy.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-10-23, 09:59 PM
Route 66

I'm leaning towards the Redshift now (which is totally human powered BTW).

I really just don't see the point of an electric bike myself but maybe that's just me.
Old 02-10-23, 11:02 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Suspension seat posts fall into the category of saddles, meaning it's a hit or miss on trying them and finding one that you like, or perhaps not at all.

Having about a two dozen each saddles and seatposts on hand, each one of them and each combination of them gives a totally different response.

I feel that with the correct saddle, the suspension seatpost is not necessary at all.

I admit this is a bit harder for a typical consumer to figure out as they may have to buy and exchange a lot here. I'd find a good LBS that can help.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-11-23, 06:58 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Besides cost, other trade-offs are more moving parts (noises, imperfect tolerances, and maintenance) and weight.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-11-23, 12:03 PM
Route 66

Originally Posted by soyabean
I feel that with the correct saddle, the suspension seatpost is not necessary at all.

I admit this is a bit harder for a typical consumer to figure out as they may have to buy and exchange a lot here. I'd find a good LBS that can help.
I feel that I'm using the correct saddle; a Brooks C17 that I love. But having it coupled to such a rigid frame leaves a lot to be desired. Especially for this 70 year old.
Old 02-11-23, 12:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Route 66
I've been considering a suspension seat post for my Spot aluminum-frame bike. I ride every day and only ever own one bike at a time. I'd would like to smooth out the rough spots in the road and was wondering if any of you have experience with these types of seat posts. I'm 6' tall and weigh 202 lbs.

The two I'm looking at are the Suntour and the KINEKT

Have any of you tried either of these brands? Is there another brand you'd recommend?

I'm open to any input you can give me.
Kinekt above all. It works well. Cane Creek make excellent products but elastomers aren't as good as springs in this situation. Redshift has the adjustment at the bottom of the post so you cannot cut it down.

Any of the pogo posts are cheap garbage. Going up and down only isn't good for your knees and it changes your position on the bike. The proper isolation post like Kinekt or even CC moves you down but back as well to keep your knees and body in a similar position.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-20-23, 12:51 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I have a Cane Creek on a LHT that is 60% off road and it feels worth it.
Old 02-20-23, 01:05 PM
Route 66

Thanks for your input.

I ordered a Redshift ShockStop from Amazon and it'll be delivered today. I'll try it out and see if it works for me and if not, I'll return it and try one of the others mentioned here.
Old 02-22-23, 10:37 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 962 Posts
It's old fashioned now, I have a Cane Creek thud buster as my only cushioning seatpost.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-22-23, 03:01 PM
Route 66

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
It's old fashioned now, I have a Cane Creek thud buster as my only cushioning seatpost.
It really doesn't matter to me what's old fashioned; my comfort is the reason I've been researching these seat posts and that's probably the reason you're using one too.

I ended up going with the Redshift ShockStop and just go back from my daily ride. I couldn't be happier with this thing. I found myself chuckling a few times at how this seat post smoothed out the rough spots that I'm familiar with and have ridden over so many times over the years. My lower back felt so much better after this ride than it has in quite some time.
Old 02-22-23, 03:20 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
My brother is one of those guys that suffers with a bony arse. He is always looking for a softer ride and has spent quite a bit of money in his search. The one thing that really changed his ride was going to wider tires and a longer wheel base. The seat posts, bars and many, many, seats he has tried made little difference...
Old 02-24-23, 12:59 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
My Kinekt spring seatpost seems to basically remove about 3/4" to 1" worth of bumps, when set fairly lightly for my weight. It sure helps in a bumpy environment. I'm 65 and 215 lbs.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-04-23, 11:59 AM
Route 66

I've been riding with this new seat post for just over a week now and couldn't be happier with it. it really takes the edge off of the bumps in the road and my back feels so much better now.
Likes For Route 66:
Old 03-04-23, 04:37 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I've been riding with this new seat post for just over a week now and couldn't be happier with it. it really takes the edge off of the bumps in the road and my back feels so much better now.
Great to hear! Some back issues is why I'm looking at these.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Going up and down only isn't good for your knees and it changes your position on the bike.
This is the experience I've had and as a result, how do you adjust the correct position?

I am considering this one which is expensive, but got good reviews:

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product...sattelstuetzen

Last edited by Lombard; 03-04-23 at 04:41 PM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-04-23, 06:48 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I'm around 220 pounds and 6ft3. I use a Suntour on one of my touring bikes. I bought it originally when I was getting a bit of back pain. I set the pre-load fairly high so that in normal use it wasn't moving but if I hit a large bump it gave a bit of cushion. Obviously really big bumps you avoid or stand out the saddle. I've now gone back to a standard post as my back has improved and the benefit is no longer worth the extra 500g.

As part of a weght reduction I saved nearly a kilo with a new seat post, lighter pedals, and a lighter rear wheel.

I also have a Cane Creek Thudbuster on my MTB. That gives a much softer ride. For outright comfort it is the one to go for. There is a bit of back to front movement as well as up and down but you get used to it.
Likes For irc:
Old 03-04-23, 06:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Great to hear! Some back issues is why I'm looking at these.

This is the experience I've had and as a result, how do you adjust the correct position?

I am considering this one which is expensive, but got good reviews:

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product...sattelstuetzen
Essentially you can't really I mean you can put it up a little higher to adjust for how much it will settle with your weight on it but it is tough. With a isolation based post like the Kinekt you would essentially do the same but when you actually encounter a bump where you would engage the springs you wouldn't just be going up and down you would be going down and back so your knees will be in a better place.

The Redshift one is not a bad one but it is all adjusted at the bottom of the post so you cannot cut it down if needed and you have to deal with a greasy mess if you need to adjust and then you have to re-adjust your seatpost height each time and make sure it is aligned right. It is not a terrible thing but I would rather have my Kinekt. Now for a stem I think their stems look the best the Kinekt uses springs vs elastomers so they work a little better but they don't look as good.
Old 03-05-23, 08:57 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
My wife's hybrid has an old CODA suspension seatpost. It's about 25 years old. I took it apart about 10 years ago and overhauled it. It still works well, but the adjustment nut is at the bottom of the post, so it'a a pain to adjust and obviously it can't be cut down. But the combination of spring, elastomer, and needle bearings gives it a certain smoothness I have not experienced with the "thudbuster" style seatposts.

I was able to replace the old elastomer with two sections of rubber hose, one smaller diameter inside the other and glued together with rubber tire cement. It has been holding up well for the last 10-11 years.

Last edited by Keefusb; 03-08-23 at 09:31 AM.
Likes For Keefusb:
Old 03-06-23, 12:31 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Hope it works out. I used a simple suspension seatpost on my hardtail mountain bike back in the 90s and it worked ok. I wasn't a serious cyclist then but I do recall it smoothed things out on the trails. Definitely pogo-ed a lot.

The modern designs look promising, but I cannot get myself to accept the weight penalty. My buddy has the Cane Creek and he loves it. Says it feels like he has a rear flat, and that's a bit distracting.
Old 03-08-23, 09:16 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
.$.02 there are a lot of saddles out there that will provide cushion the Brooks cannot.
Old 03-09-23, 07:11 AM
Randoo
Aaa

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Suspension seat post a good alternative for actual wheel suspension?
Old 03-09-23, 09:03 AM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
IMHO, unless you are doing hard-core mountain biking on technical terrain, a suspension seatpost is a great alternative to a rear suspension. Generally speaking, they are lighter than a rear suspension, less fussy, and in many cases, they look better. With the explosion in popularity of gravel bikes, I'm surprised that we don't see more suspension seatposts being installed on gravel bikes.
Likes For Keefusb:
Old 03-11-23, 06:31 AM
Randoo
Aaa

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, the thing I was wondering is if a seatpost suspension could cause some strain to your legs/arms because they are still subject to harsh conditions.
Old 03-11-23, 07:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I've been riding with (the Redshift ShockStop) seat post for just over a week now and couldn't be happier with it. it really takes the edge off of the bumps in the road and my back feels so much better now.
Glad to hear it's working well.

On my own Trek 970, I've got a Cirrus Kinekt. With the right spring choice, it does well to mute most of the sharper, shorter-duration bumps that I would otherwise feel. Nice addition, for a hardtail bike.
Likes For Clyde1820:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.