Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what's in your tool bag?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what's in your tool bag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 11:17 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I'm the sand paper! JK!

Sand paper for patching tubes so the glue sticks better. Twine and zip ties holding stuff together in case they break or if I have to remove broken parts and have to secure them on the rack. I often use twine to secure things on the rack because they're much lighter than bungee cords.

I also use the twine as "poor man's" substitute for a proper bike stand. If you've dealt with bikes for a very long time, you'll eventually experience that even if you lean the bike against a wall, there are times it can still fall over with surprising ease or with very little disturbance, especially when the front wheel is steered off the wall on its own or by other people passing near the bike. The twine's job is simple, tie the front wheel to the down tube to keep it from turning. It's makes bike a lot harder to fall while leaning against a wall and also prevents the bike from rolling if the ground or the floor is inclined. I sometimes do it on rides if I have to make a short stop and get off the bike.
Thanks for the clarification. I get what you're doing with the twine now.

As for patches, I've had garbage luck with any patches I try on the side of the road. However, I do have very good luck with patched tubes I do at home. In fact, most of my bikes right now are riding on tubes that have been patched at least once. I'll patch a tube two times before I replace it. I bought a can of rubber cement and just cut up an old tube to make patches. I have a Dremel with an abrasive bit and then I set an old motorcycle battery over the patch for a day until the cement cures. I have really good success with these repairs. Never had good luck with the kits, so I carry a spare tube but no patches. If I get a puncture, I'll replace the tube and then head home just in case since I only have one repair available.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-06-22, 01:16 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
When you guys say "tire irons", what do you mean? Levers? Or something different?
Yes, levers. The cross-shaped things also commonly used as blunt instruments, in popular imagination at least, are also known as tire irons, but are more properly referred to as lug wrenches, according to a quick google.
Old 07-06-22, 04:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
and safety meeting supplies.
Condoms?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-06-22, 04:13 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
tool bag?
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-06-22, 06:25 AM
ted_major

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
For those of you that carry pumps, is there a reason you prefer a pump over a C02?
You can run out of CO2, but you won’t run out of air. I’ve helped others fix flats, and if I carried CO2, that would have left me unprepared if I had a flat afterwards.
Old 07-06-22, 07:48 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
See, I never ride with my phone. For one thing, I have older bikes and most of them aren't worth as much as a replacement phone. Second, I don't really have anyone around here to call. All my family and friends are back east. I'm kind of on my own out here.
Definitely a good reason to make sure your bag is as complete and useful as possible.

Ya, there are strong arguments for carrying a phone when you ride, especially for females. One of the things that p!$$ me off and I just don't understand is why I can't have a second (or third) phone that works on my primary number. I would be much more receptive to getting a cheap, throw-away phone if I could just put it on the same number But that's a whole cell phone service can of worms there.
For what it's worth, there are smart watches that have cell service and tie in to your regular phone's number. You have to pay a separate monthly service fee, but it's a great way to leave your expensive phone at home and have a way to make a call if you need. We got one for our son because we didn't want him walking around with a phone and rotting his brain on video games.

Personally, I have had to walk home once because I ran out of CO2, and once because the pump seal blew (cheap pump). Another good reason for carrying both (and not going cheap on the pump).

For those of you that carry pumps, is there a reason you prefer a pump over a C02 inflator?
The biggest reason to have a pump over CO2 is that you can only have as many flats as your CO2 will fill. Since it's also a pain to use a tiny pump, it makes a good argument for carrying both. 2 CO2 to facilitate fast flat changes, and a pump to at least get you back rolling again should you be horribly unlucky. Switching to tubeless is also an option, but blowouts can still happen.

Last edited by urbanknight; 07-06-22 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 07:51 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Thank you for explaining the spoke thing. I could not figure out how that helped. Makes sense now.
Do you carry glucose tablets because your T2DM? Or just for energy on long rides?
When you guys say "tire irons", what do you mean? Levers? Or something different?
I'm a diabetic, my blood sugars will drop from 160 to 60 in an hour if I do a lot of climbing. So I also bring a meter to check my blood at my turn around point.
Tire irons is the old phrase for tire levers. My favorite is the VAR tire tool.
Old 07-06-22, 08:17 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I carry two CO2 and a small hand pump. The kind that attaches to the bottle cage. It's like a little fire extinguisher that gives peace of mind, and allows me to help another rider without going into my cartridge "stash." Make sure to have a presta/shrader converter (chuck?) too. The only time I needed roadside assistance was a broken rear skewer. Fortunately close to home.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 07-06-22, 08:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
In addition to what the OP carries, less one CO2 cartridge, I have a pair of latex gloves and my house key. The house key is the only thing that's been used in the last 18 months or so. Not sure if it's even worth carrying for local 2 - 3 hour rides. But I guess the Boy Scout pledges I made long ago require me to Be Prepared!
Old 07-06-22, 08:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major
You can run out of CO2, but you won’t run out of air. I’ve helped others fix flats, and if I carried CO2, that would have left me unprepared if I had a flat afterwards.
Also, a pump is often preferable for tubeless tires. I once had a puncture that didn't quite seal, so I plugged it and pumped it back up. A CO2 cartridge would've been overkill.
Old 07-06-22, 10:22 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
Also, a pump is often preferable for tubeless tires. I once had a puncture that didn't quite seal, so I plugged it and pumped it back up. A CO2 cartridge would've been overkill.
Agreed. Haven't had to use a cartridge since going tubeless (including 2 flats so far), but I'm considering keeping my CO2 handy in case a tire goes completely flat and needs to be seated again. Even then, a tube could solve that problem.
Old 07-06-22, 10:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
You have a warrant?
Old 07-06-22, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I like the idea of the nitrile gloves. I always wear riding gloves when I'm out but I don't like getting them funky with grease or road grime. I should put some nitriles in my pouches. Thanks for that.
For those of you that carry pumps, is there a reason you prefer a pump over a C02 inflator?

What's the sand paper and twine for?
Oh yeah disposable gloves are super handy I do usually carry those.

A pump doesn't run out of air yes it can break but so can anything. When I am out of C02 cartridges I am out of air, plus CO2 is a smaller molecule so it will escape from tube and tire faster. Plus pumps can last a long long time vs CO2 being a disposable item.
Old 07-06-22, 08:13 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Even then, a tube could solve that problem.
Not all tire-rim combinations play nice with tubes. Twice I’ve had to put a tube in my Schwalbe Pro 1 25c tires. Both times the tire would not seat properly around the valve stem area. There isn’t enough room to accommodate the extra material where the valve stem is attached to the tube. Had to limp home both times with a little hop in the tire.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-22, 12:09 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not all tire-rim combinations play nice with tubes. Twice I’ve had to put a tube in my Schwalbe Pro 1 25c tires. Both times the tire would not seat properly around the valve stem area. There isn’t enough room to accommodate the extra material where the valve stem is attached to the tube. Had to limp home both times with a little hop in the tire.
Hoping those bacon strips will make sure I never have to find out how mine will work.
Old 07-07-22, 04:17 AM
indyfabz

Hoping those bacon strips will make sure I never have to find out how mine will work.
Had this mishap the day before Memorial Day.

I had recently had the tires remounted and fresh sealant put in. Tube insertion was super messy.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-22, 04:32 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
One bike's tool bag has a CO2 inflator, the other two share a Pro Bike Tool mini pump. Each has a multi-tool. My old racing bike has a 5.5 mm or 7/32" Allen key for its seat bolt in the tool bag, plus an 8/10 mm wrench for its old-fashioned nuts. I'm relying on sealant for it at present, but carry spare tubes and tire irons on the other two.

Tool-kit lite

For myself, I add my asthma tooter, a handkerchief, and a mask, these days.
Probably important to keep the inhaler and the inflator separate.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 07-07-22, 06:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
In addition to the typical stuff

1. Spare cleat and hardware
2. Small tube of superglue
3. Assortment of zipties
4. Spare valve core and tool
5. Real boot cut from old tire
6. Dynaplugs
7. Spare batteries
8. small single use eye drops
9. Derriere lube
10. Pain medicine
Old 07-07-22, 06:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
You never run out of air to inflate a tire.
Old 07-07-22, 08:46 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Had this mishap the day before Memorial Day.

I had recently had the tires remounted and fresh sealant put in. Tube insertion was super messy.
What model of tire was that? I just ditched my Open Corsas because something similar happened at about 300 miles. It sealed enough to get home by pumping it back up every hour, but there was a sealant booger sticking out of the gash and a slight bulge in the tire the whole way. To be fair, I think I messed up trying to insert the bacon strip, but even if successful, all signs point to replacing the tire when you get home anyway.
Old 07-07-22, 09:04 AM
indyfabz

What model of tire was that? I just ditched my Open Corsas because something similar happened at about 300 miles. It sealed enough to get home by pumping it back up every hour, but there was a sealant booger sticking out of the gash and a slight bulge in the tire the whole way. To be fair, I think I messed up trying to insert the bacon strip, but even if successful, all signs point to replacing the tire when you get home anyway.
Schwalbe Pro 1. Don't know how many miles, but they were probably at least 3 yeas old. Maybe even 4. I have no idea what I ran over.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-07-22, 09:24 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
VegasJen, you may want to buy a cheap burner phone to carry with you for safety. Besides being harassed and needing to call 911, in the event you crash and can’t be seen or need immediate help, you can call 911. You may be able to program your real phone to forward to your burner as well. I’m a dude and always carry a phone in my back jersey pockets (25 years) and have never had a phone eject, even while doing some rugged mountain biking.

Old 07-07-22, 09:40 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I like the idea of the nitrile gloves. I always wear riding gloves when I'm out but I don't like getting them funky with grease or road grime. I should put some nitriles in my pouches. Thanks for that.

What's the sand paper and twine for?
I often carry both.

A pump is lighter than two cartridges and inflator attachment, plus it has a gage on it. And, when you flat you do not have to ride home if you only have one spare, no patches, and only one CO2 cartridge. In the rain, cold and/or darkness, CO2 is a nice luxury.
Old 07-07-22, 10:01 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I just carry weed and stuff to smoke it with in my saddlebag. No room for tools

Some people like pumps because they are reusable. Also there is something cathartic about sitting on the side of the road for 3 minutes trying to get a tire hard enough with a dinky little pump
Old 07-07-22, 10:19 AM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Toby_Queef
Nobody has named trash can vodka yet?
I was going to say Vodka and a Knife but after the thread got closed I decided against it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.