Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Seeking Women of Color in the PNW for Documentary on Solo Bike Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 04:51 PM
bmachado25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there!

My name is Brandy and I am a fellow touring cyclist.

I am currently working on documentary on the experiences of women who have done solo cycle tours. I am having trouble finding women of color who have done these sorts of trips and who I am able to interview. It is really important to me that I am including a broad range of experiences within this documentary and not just those of the mainly white women that I have spoken with so far.

I am based in Portland, but I am willing to travel reasonably far throughout the PNW area in order to conduct interviews. If you are a woman of color who has done any solo tours or if you know of any women of color who have, please get in touch with me. My email is brandymachado@gmail.com.

I am hoping to wrap this project up by December 15th, so I am sort of running out of time.

Thanks,
Brandy
Old 12-06-15, 07:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bmachado25
I am having trouble finding women of color ...
What color did you have in mind?
Old 12-06-15, 11:37 AM
bmachado25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if you are trolling me, but on the chance you aren't, I am basically looking for women who are not white/caucasian.
Old 12-06-15, 11:57 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
You could contact the Cascad Bicycle Club in Seattle. Cascade puts a lot of effort into getting kids of color into bikes through its Major Taylor project. Major Taylor Project | Cascade Bicycle Club The folks there may be able to point you to women who tour.
Old 12-06-15, 05:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Not sure if you are trolling me, but on the chance you aren't, I am basically looking for women who are not white/caucasian.
What difference does it make? Isn't a woman a woman ... does it really matter what shade her hair? eyes? skin? are? We're all a colour ... no one is "white". Personally, I'm a sort of light golden brown right now, as I'm starting to tan in the summer sun.
Old 12-06-15, 05:48 PM
mrveloman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might try emailing Jasmine Wilbarry who has a recent journal on Crazyguyonabike.com - https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=15735&v=Mw

Though she is currently in Baltimore you might be able to interview her remotely.

mike
Old 12-06-15, 07:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
What difference does it make? Isn't a woman a woman ... does it really matter what shade her hair? eyes? skin? are? We're all a colour ... no one is "white". Personally, I'm a sort of light golden brown right now, as I'm starting to tan in the summer sun.
Who knows what the OP's reason(s) is for wanting multiple races included in the documentary.
Perhaps to add an element of minority among the minority? Perhaps to fulfill some sort of requirement for funding? Perhaps to appeal to a broader audience or to appeal to a predetermined target audience?
Perhaps none of those.

As for the absurd 'i don't see color argument because we are all of color', well that's just being contrarian.
You have traveled the world, you must have come to realize there are clear socioeconomic divisions in life based on color. It isn't everywhere, thankfully, but it's very present. And when it's not based on color, it's based on another arbitrary difference.
Unless Tasmania has a census bubble choice for 'golden brown', let me be the first to declare that you are white.
Old 12-06-15, 07:17 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
You might have better luck finding women with colorful stories, rather than "of color." I find the phrase "women of color" a little offensive.
Old 12-06-15, 07:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
You can read the wiki about the term "people of color." There is an explanation as to why it is the currently preferred term.
Old 12-06-15, 07:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Who knows what the OP's reason(s) is for wanting multiple races included in the documentary.
Perhaps to add an element of minority among the minority? Perhaps to fulfill some sort of requirement for funding? Perhaps to appeal to a broader audience or to appeal to a predetermined target audience?
Perhaps none of those.

As for the absurd 'i don't see color argument because we are all of color', well that's just being contrarian.
You have traveled the world, you must have come to realize there are clear socioeconomic divisions in life based on color. It isn't everywhere, thankfully, but it's very present. And when it's not based on color, it's based on another arbitrary difference.
Unless Tasmania has a census bubble choice for 'golden brown', let me be the first to declare that you are white.
Australia doesn't have a census bubble choice for anything to do with colour. Why on earth would it?? What ... is there some sort of colour graph your census has you compare yourself to?

But don't you find the phrase "women of colour" an odd one? What does it mean? We're all some colour or another.

BTW - according to the Australian census, I am not a colour, I am Canadian.
Old 12-06-15, 07:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You can read the wiki about the term "people of color." There is an explanation as to why it is the currently preferred term.
The preferred term for what?
Old 12-06-15, 07:35 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Preferred by who?
Old 12-06-15, 07:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Ah, Australia apparently seeks info on ethnic origin.
Canada's household survey asks about race.

I don't find the phrase 'women of color'(or colour') to be odd because I am used to it and understand what it is referring to.
Of course, you also know what it's referring to, but are approaching this from a contrarian view that racial and skin color is of no bearing in life. Again that is simply not true as skin color affects many parts of life in the US, in Australia, and all knew the world.
It's a shame that an innate physical characteristic such as one's skin color affects how people are treated, bit it's reality and it's better to acknowledge the reality rather than coyly pretend it doesn't exist.

Many(most?) people of color acknowledge the existence of color, so why wouldn't/shouldn't/can't those of white European ancestry?
Old 12-06-15, 07:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Just read the link.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color It actually is interesting, even if you don't agree with the usage. I thought the term sounded kind of old fashioned, sort of like "women of a certain age." I Googled it, found it interesting. I have no dog in the fight, as they say. I just call everyone "y'all."
Old 12-06-15, 08:16 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
I just call everyone "y'all."

i find the use of "y'all" offensive, especially when used by politicians
not "of south." the preferred term is "you people", so please don't
invade my safe space with your microagressions!
Old 12-06-15, 08:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
It's about "inclusion" (please note my use of quotes).

There's a social/political aspect to many of these projects, so the producers feel they must be inclusive, lest they be accused of not being so.

For my part, I grew up writing "human" in the race box on all forms where it appears (I've never been called on that), though when in my twenties, I would be called for writing "yes" or "seasonally". I also never got away with writing "not often enough" where they asked for sex.

I don't speak for the OP, and am not a believer in the need to be inclusive, but understand why she might feel the need. (if you weren't Canadian and/or Australian you'd understand too.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-06-15, 08:37 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
.......... I am not a colour, I am Canadian.
+1 And I am an American! We like our northern cousins (mostly because they make good actors and singers). And... I like the idea of a cycling documentary too. I am sure the OP's ideas for body-type content are creative (and therefore over my head).
Old 12-06-15, 08:59 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i find the use of "y'all" offensive, especially when used by politicians
not "of south." the preferred term is "you people", so please don't
invade my safe space with your microagressions!
The term "you people" is considered offensive and divisive in US politics. Historical note, see reference to "you people" and Ross Perot.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/you_people
Old 12-06-15, 09:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I am basically looking for women who are not white.

We all know that "white reflects light and is a presence of all colours" ... therefore if you're looking for a person "of colour", you must be looking for someone who is somehow completely white.

Talk to me right at the end of winter. That's about my lightest time of year.
Old 12-06-15, 09:47 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am glad your life experience has been one so devoid of any sort of racial bias that this concept seems laughably foreign to you. However, in the context of what the OP is asking, your comments aren't sensitive.

In the United States, being any color other than white automatically places you under a glaring amount of discrimination, including but not limited to a silent discouragement from many activities including bike touring. At the worst end, people of color can experience violence, racism, hatred, and marginalization. This is not a U.S. issue- the UK struggles, Australia struggles, indeed, the whole world has some form of racism present in almost every facet of life.

You are white. I am white. We simply cannot ever understand what it is to be a person of color. We are speaking from a seat of priveledge that goes back thousands of years, and is omnipresent at every level of society. Do not assume you understand the solution to racism because Australia doesn't have that bubble on your tax form.

I applaud any inclusion of minority voices in activities that have a culture barrier. Bike touring is absolutely one of those activities. Bike tourists are predominantly white in the U.S, and the world can be pretty cold to a woman of color. Any opportunity to highlight and share these experiences is a worthy cause that makes comments like "What color did you have in mind?" look worse than trolling- in this context, it borders on vitriol and I am sure this is not what you intended with your sarcasm.

I hope no women who have been marginalized due to race see your comments as their first experience of our group.

Last edited by mdilthey; 12-06-15 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 09:54 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
To the OP: Please get in touch with me when you finish your video. I've spoken about inclusion in cycling on my site before (Empowering Women in Cycling) and would love to feature your video, or get the word out if it's published elsewhere (like your own site). Thank you for doing what you are doing, and I'm sorry that this question is so hard to answer. I know many touring gals, but I don't know anybody who isn't white.
Old 12-06-15, 09:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by FBinNY
For my part, I grew up writing "human" in the race box on all forms where it appears.
Yes, me too ... on the rare occasions where I've actually encountered something asking about race. After all, we are all humans ...

Last edited by Machka; 12-06-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 10:01 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Obviously never sees the box that says "Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Origin"....
Old 12-06-15, 10:04 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
For my part, I grew up writing "human" in the race box on all forms where it appears...
i've never seen "human" as an option. rarely see a write-in blank under race, otherwise
i could enter "nascar." so i'm stuck picking one of the pre-approved race options.

if offered, i check "native-american" cause i was bornded here.
Old 12-06-15, 10:13 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
For my part, I grew up writing "human" in the race box on all forms where it appears (I've never been called on that)
When given a check-box for race, I always check the "African-American" box, since I'm a US citizen and, as near as current science can determine, the original humans evolved in Africa. Why quibble over the route?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.