Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for USA Openstreet Garmin map

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 11:07 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

I updated my Garmin with their Garmin map and inadvertently ended up losing my more detailed Open Street Map (OSM). Unfortunately for me, the free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap site (Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap) is less functional than it used to be. I can only download individual states now.
Does anyone have, or have a source for, the Open Street Routable Bicycle map for the continental United States or North America they'd be willing to point me toward, or share with me?
Thanks
Old 02-12-22, 07:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3483 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,156 Posts
That site you cited has not functioned well for a long time. A few months ago I tried to download a map and was told that I was in the queue and I could expect to be notified my map was ready in over 300 days.

Smaller than USA but bigger than one state. This is topo street maps, not bike maps. Thus, work better for a car. But sometimes it works for bike paths, so this might work for you. Contour lines were created using the metric system, so contours are a bit odd, for example 902 and 984 feet are not normal contour intervals.
USA OSM Topo Routable | GMapTool

Routing across a border to another map might not work, probably have to create a waypoint on the border to include in a route.

Months ago I recall reading that this site would be shutting down soon, for car routing, but looks like it is functional. Also breaks up USA into a few maps. Because this site might disappear, recently I loaded the maps from that site that I might want some day, for example Canada.
https://www.openmapchest.org/

I use my GPS for a lot of non-cycling things, like backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and occasionally for driving. So, I like to have a wide choice of base maps in my GPS, depending on activity I am doing.
Old 02-12-22, 10:16 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 471 Posts
I use the same 5 regional OSM Topo maps in my Garmin as Tourist mentions above. I've never come across a way to download the OSM Cycle, yet.

Typically, I'll lay out a route in RWGPS, it has an OSM Cycle layer(or some form of it), among others, and extract it from RWGPS. Then upload it into a Garmin unit, Basecamp, or phone as needed.

RWGPS(purple line KT = Katy Trail):

OSM Cycle(purple line KT = Katy Trail)
Old 02-12-22, 02:02 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by fishboat
... I've never come across a way to download the OSM Cycle, yet.
This thread was also posted in electronics board, there are more responses there.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...sa-needed.html
Old 02-14-22, 06:55 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
This thread was also posted in electronics board, there are more responses there.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...sa-needed.html
Thx..

Passing thought..if you haven't used Caltopo for your non-cycling adventures it might be worth a look.

https://caltopo.com/about/

Caltopo was started by a guy in California to assist S&R folks in planning. I believe he is/was an S&R guy. The interface years ago was very basic, but the mapping functionality, I thought, was very versatile. Initially it was a free service(still is to some extent I think), but it grew to a point where his server & maintenance costs were about $3000+(?) a month. At that point he started accepting donations and charging a small fee for the more power-users. I use to use it a lot more, though not as much in recent years. You can prep, save, and download map tiles for any area. I found the interface pretty good(at the time). I've used the prepped maps in my phone , Basecamp, or Garmin devices.

I just visited his site..wow..total revamp. He's gone big(ger) time. The mapping functionality looks similar to what it was..haven't spent much time there yet to see what he's doing with things at this point.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 02-14-22, 11:45 AM
Tourist in MSN

Passing thought..if you haven't used Caltopo for your non-cycling adventures it might be worth a look.

https://caltopo.com/about/
Looks interesting. I just looked at it on my computer screen. Plan to load onto my android phone later.

But it looks like I can't use it to create basemaps to load onto my Garmin GPS units.

But I can see using it to try to plan out a route on my home computer with some of the information on there.

Thanks for posting.
Old 02-14-22, 06:12 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But it looks like I can't use it to create basemaps to load onto my Garmin GPS units

I had this map, the blue portion at least, just as you see it as the base map in my Garmin Etrex20 for the Sylvania Wilderness. I'll have to futz with it to re-understand what I did. As I remember, I'd hook my Garmin up to my PC, go into the a drive on the unit (the unit's directory or on the SD card) and drop the map in there..the "Custom Maps" folder(?) I think. When you fired up the unit, the map-tiles(extracted from Caltopo) would be the base map in the area of interest. This route bypasses Basecamp loading the Garmin unit. One format of an extract from Caltopo was compatible with my Garmin unit. It appears there are fewer extract formats then there once were. Possibly they split off some formats for the subscription user(my account pre-dates the subscription format).

I don't have any recent Garmin units and loading maps may have changed(from above pathways) in recent years. My Etrex(8-9 years old?) has been meeting my needs.

Back when I was using Caltopo a lot more(been a while as I'm reaching on memory for a lot of this) it had an extract map-tile size limitation. I think the extract size was increased with the upgraded(subscription) service. Caltopo appears to have a dual-user format much like RWGPS (free account with some limitations and a subscription service with broader capability..)

This map was from 2015. You can see the map setup in Caltopo on the right side.

I won't be home for a few days. When I get home I'll dive into this a bit to lock things in better.

Old 02-14-22, 07:01 PM
Tourist in MSN

I won't be home for a few days. When I get home I'll dive into this a bit to lock things in better.
Thanks for the offer, but no need to. In USA I have two topo maps or is it three, car type map, a few BBB maps, an old map from that dysfunctional website with cycle layer, etc. In other words, a LOT of maps to choose from depending on what activity I want to do. To enable or disable a map in my Garmin, it takes a long time to scroll through the list of maps I have on the SD card.

And I think BBB site will meet my needs for foreign trips.

The Caltopo has lots of different pay options, besides the free option, lots of choice on how much you want to buy.
Old 02-15-22, 06:27 AM
fishboat

Understandable. Now days there's lots of mapping option out there. Caltopo does have a simple(free) GPX extract which you can take about anywhere, to anything..
Old 02-15-22, 12:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Understandable. Now days there's lots of mapping option out there. Caltopo does have a simple(free) GPX extract which you can take about anywhere, to anything..
I may look for it later. It would be nice on some trips to have contour lines on a cycle basemap.
Old 02-16-22, 03:48 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Been a while since I've done it, and the last time I actually generated my own maps from OSM data using command-line tools. It was a laborious process even for me and they didn't end up looking any better (I was hoping for trails to show up at higher zoom levels).

There is an official OSM 'export' page here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/...armin/Download
I haven't verified the links there, but I see that it lists OpenMapChest as a good source