Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

They're not even trying to pretend anymore ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

They're not even trying to pretend anymore ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-23, 08:58 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
CA and more than half of the US defines these as bicycles BY LAW, and some other states are even less stringent, so whine all you want, they're here to stay for now. That being said, the punks that infest some of the sidewalks and trails that I frequent should be fined and their illegal vehicles impounded, but, unfortunately, policing is minimal at best.
Old 08-13-23, 09:06 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I imagine the e-bikes and e-mopeds will get to the same place, a tech on staff that is able to work on them in an efficient manner. Could be a gold mine in the right community.
I think you’re right about this. I already know of one ‘eBike Repair Shop” in the next town. A comparison might be golf cars. Where I live in southeastern New England not many people use them. Ido see a few here and there in larger subdivisions. But as far as getting them repaired…I don’t know where those people take them. But I also snowbird in SE Florida where golf cars are abundant (I don’t have one). And, I’ve noticed there are ample “golf car” repair shops around down there. — Dan
Old 08-13-23, 09:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I think you’re right about this. I already know of one ‘eBike Repair Shop” in the next town. A comparison might be golf cars. Where I live in southeastern New England not many people use them. Ido see a few here and there in larger subdivisions. But as far as getting them repaired…I don’t know where those people take them. But I also snowbird in SE Florida where golf cars are abundant (I don’t have one). And, I’ve noticed there are ample “golf car” repair shops around down there. — Dan
+2. I see a good number of golf carts while touring, especially in campgrounds. They are prevalent enough that some campgrounds have adopted rules governing their use. I’ve seen a few places that will even rent them to you during your stay. I remember being in one place, possibly the Missoula KOA, and seeing several of them parked outside the cafe during the evening ice cream social. Because who wants to walk the equivalent of a couple of city blocks for a sundae?
Old 08-13-23, 10:04 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Cyclists complaining about e-bikers violating traffic laws is really funny !
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 08-13-23, 10:45 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Yeah ... a lot of people like the idea of riding a small, maneuverable, inexpensive vehicles. heard of mopeds? Somehow, mopeds and gas-powered scooters, with all the same performance abilities, have failed to end the world in a century of trying.
Moped Laws: Europe

...AFAIK, both mopeds and gas powered scooters are regulated by the motor vehicle authorities, and subject to licensing, some additional fees for road use, and the operators are restricted in certain ways (minimum age, for example). Even in Naples, where Vespa is ubiquitous, and the roads are in a constant state of chaos, this was true. And the use of them is generally only accepted on the roadways, along with all the other motorized traffic. Often there are limits on overall engine displacement (thus power), at which point they become motorcycles for purposes of traffic laws. What am I missing here ?

Build them, buy them, and ride them, regulated in the same ways as mopeds, and I'm happy for for you. You have discovered an alternate means of transportation that is cleaner and less energy intensive than a car. Vaya con Dios, and all that stuff.
Old 08-13-23, 11:03 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

E-bikes show distinct pattern of severe injuries

Increased injury severity and hospitalization rates following crashes with e-bikes versus conventional bicycles: an observational cohort study from a regional level II trauma center in Switzerland

...I'm pretty sure that this is not my imagination, but these studies are limited to the injuries to users, at this point in time. So in that sense, everyone saying, "Just don't get one," has a valid point. It's new tech, and regulations on new tech always lag behind real world damages.
Old 08-13-23, 11:10 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think it's pretty cool. Throttle and comfortable seating. Self aware and little attempt to mimic an actual bike. If I wanted a motorbike it would be something similar. That said, I question the wisdom of this thread outside of "Ebikes."
...currently (at least where I live) these motorized vehicles legally share the same bicycle lanes and MUP's as bicycles. There appears to be no age limit on who can climb on board and ride one, and there is zero enforcement on excess speed, on places like the American river MUP. I don't find it unreasonable that the topic gains some traction in the bicycle community at large. I know I encounter a lot of them, and not all of the ones I encounter seem harmless to the community at large. I could say the same about some cyclists, I guess. They just have less mass and power to create havoc.
Old 08-13-23, 11:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

If the issue is abuse, demand enforcement. Demand enforcement for All road users, or for whoever actually and demonstrably breaks laws and creates hazards. if you truly do see a lot of people using these things in an illegal fashion treat it as you would any other crime. Document it and report it. Publish the video online and put pressure on local politicians. That's how change starts ... not by whining here.
...regulation always lags behind technology. When ICE cars first started replacing the horse and buggy, this was the case. Little has changed in the ensuing years.

If your issue is just fear then get over it.
...this implies that anyone expressing concern about the lack of regulation, and the time it will take to achieve it (and it's almost certainly coming), has an irrational fear. It's disappointing, coming from one so well grounded in reality.
Old 08-13-23, 11:26 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
"Ride Around & Find Out"
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-13-23, 11:31 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
So... what's the problem again? That bike has pedals so you can get it to 27 mph and saves on battery when you pedal it. Throttles only to 20 mph.
But it's about 15-20 lbs too heavy and about $1,000. too much.
If you don't like them.. just look away....and you won't get grumpy.
the word throttle...... which makes it an electric motorcycle

I draw a large line between pedal assist with no throttle and anything with a throttle...which says you don't need to pedal.

I also see riding style differences between the riders,

people riding bike that don't need pedal assist tend to go a lot faster than they should on a MUP and equate power to right of way (at least on the los gatos creek trail ) never slowing for others

Pedal assist I don't see the same behavior

IMHO laws need to catch up....should be simple throttle and ability to move and start without pedaling = motorcycle and all the DMV regs for that should be followed

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-13-23, 12:06 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

E-bikes show distinct pattern of severe injuries

Increased injury severity and hospitalization rates following crashes with e-bikes versus conventional bicycles: an observational cohort study from a regional level II trauma center in Switzerland

...I'm pretty sure that this is not my imagination, but these studies are limited to the injuries to users, at this point in time. So in that sense, everyone saying, "Just don't get one," has a valid point. It's new tech, and regulations on new tech always lag behind real world damages.
Interesting study but a couple of things to note:
  1. Small sample size; just 27 ebikes
  2. Sample was taken back in 2017/2018, which seems like forever ago in a rapidly-evolving field
  3. Ebikers in the study were on average 15+ years older than the conventional bikers

Something I'd like to see in studies like this is the riding experience and proficiency of the subjects. The impression that I get is that many ebikers are older and less experienced and proficient than recreational cyclists, particularly the ones so engaged with the activity that they participate in forums like this one.

Rider proficiency is missing from many of these conversations. Put members of this forum on ebikes and they'll likely be safer than your average ebike owner and likely no more at risk than riding their normal bikes because of their proficiency.

I'd like to see more ebike training, something akin to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider training courses for new motorcycle riders.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-13-23, 12:16 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Well, I look forward to the day when all bicycles have those things.
Be careful what you wish for.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-13-23, 01:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by john m flores
Interesting study but a couple of things to note:
  1. Small sample size; just 27 ebikes
  2. Sample was taken back in 2017/2018, which seems like forever ago in a rapidly-evolving field
  3. Ebikers in the study were on average 15+ years older than the conventional bikers

Something I'd like to see in studies like this is the riding experience and proficiency of the subjects. The impression that I get is that many ebikers are older and less experienced and proficient than recreational cyclists, particularly the ones so engaged with the activity that they participate in forums like this one.

Rider proficiency is missing from many of these conversations. Put members of this forum on ebikes and they'll likely be safer than your average ebike owner and likely no more at risk than riding their normal bikes because of their proficiency.

I'd like to see more ebike training, something akin to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider training courses for new motorcycle riders.
...it's new tech. There will be a dearth of information on injury and safety statistics for years, because it's new tech.
Yes, the initial studies will have small sample sizes. It's a very large world wide experiment, at this point. The statistics will roll in gradually, but they won't roll in at all unless we decide to codify them.

A lot of the studies now are just compilations of injuries from all the electric wheeled devices, inclusive of scooters, skateboards, bikes, etc. And I'm not aware of any that focus on the numbers of collisions/accidents that can be causally attributed to the riders of them. Becuase they are considered bicycles, they escape a lot of the accident and injury documentation you'd get with licensed vehicle misuse.

Yes, rider proficiency is a huge factor. Again, that's where regulation plays a part. We don't let people drive cars or ride motorcycles without demonstrated proficiency. But anyone with the cash to buy one can walk in tomorrow, but the most powerful, throttle regulated e-bike in the store, and ride it home. If they feel so inclined, and they live here in California, they can take a short cut on the available sidewalk, if traffic gets in the way. But yes, injury studies like this are problematic at this point, because of the novel nature of the problem.

I've even seen one study comparing leg ortho injuries between bikes, e-bikes, and motorcycles. The good news is that, apparently, most e-bike limb fractures are to the lower portion of the extremity.
Old 08-13-23, 01:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Unless it's a torque sensing PAS, even a cadence sensing e-assist can move without the pedaling needing any real effort. You can just put it in a ridiculously low gear and let the motor do ALL the work. And? On the scale of evil things humans can do I consider this stuff SMALL potatoes. And if you are so small that needing to see people pedal their bikes even if the pedaling is pointless ... that's just ... small. Those monowheel things ... stand up scooters ... motorcycles by any reasonable definition? Whelp, I think its time to stop supporting the irrational e-bike hate that proliferates on BF and really start shaming the haters. E-bikes are here. They aren't going anywhere. I don't ride one (yet) but I don't think that people that do, or want to, are damned to hellfire.
Very nice. Calling me "small" and claiming that my critique of throttled ebikes (not pedal assist) and the way ebike regulations are going as "irrational hate". Phew. Nice. I bet you're a real charmer. And maybe you could actually address what I've written and maybe engage in rational discussion, not disparaging words.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-13-23 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-13-23, 01:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Here you go. It exists: Brake and Turn signals

Old 08-13-23, 01:15 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
It's not like signal lights would be used anyway. The ONLY reason brake lights are used is because people have no choice as the are activated when the brakes are used.

That would make it a MOPED not a motorcycle.

Easy solution - don't get one.. It's not like anyone would be forcing you to get one. Being said I ran out of battery on my E-converted touring bike after 100 KM off road. It was a great workout to make the final 30km to my stop for the day. I was nursing a injury at the time and would have NEVER been able to ride that far at all if it was not assisted.
Somewhere I think I wrote about Mopeds - and how, at least where I live, are considered motorcycles.

I have absolutely nothing against pedal assist ebikes and will happily get one when it suits my lifestyle and abilities. Except that I think the regulations on speed, vis-a-vis being allowed on MUPs, etc, is a little liberal. But pedal-assisted bikes are bicycles. Ebikes that have a throttle that doesn't require pedaling at all, even if they have pedals, to me, have the same status as mopeds, that is, are motorcycles.
Old 08-13-23, 01:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Caveman

I don't understand people that ride an e-bike for exercise. An hour or two of riding is an hour or two of riding. Why does it matter how far or fast you go? Isn't the effort put into pedaling the point?

I also don't understand people that claim the only way they can ride is with an electric assist bike. Why? You may be slower and can't go as far but so what? The ride is the point, not distance and speed.
Maybe they have a heart condition? Maybe their local riding terrain is very hilly and they don’t weigh 65 kg? Maybe they just like to go a little faster and ride longer loops? Maybe they want to keep up with faster riding friends? There are lots of reasons and many different types of e-bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-13-23, 01:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Whelp, I think its time to stop supporting the irrational e-bike hate that proliferates on BF and really start shaming the haters. E-bikes are here. They aren't going anywhere.
...so much to unpack here. For the record, I don't feel especially ashamed, for questioning the current regulatory approach as inadequate to the technology and market share. That they are here, and not going anywhere is, I suppose, exactly my point. Too much coffee on a Sunday morning ? This response seems to be completely over the top.

Perhaps you'd like to take a few deep breaths, and try again ?
Old 08-13-23, 01:20 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
My big question was that most of our MUP trails say no motors of any kind . Caught up with a park ranger in a local park and ask . He said in this county only type 1 e-bikes are allowed , if it has a throttle so it can move without peddling it's not allowed on the trails.
Old 08-13-23, 01:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I don't know if this is the first of its kind (probably not) but Electra has gone full mini-bike.

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/ponto-go/

Oh, yeah, they say you can get it up to 26 mph with the pedals! HAHA! Gimme a break; it weighs 80 pounds!

Only in America--because it's flatly illegal in Europe, and maybe most of the rest of the world.

Ponto Go Home!
Those things must be very hard if not impossible to pedal without a motor assist. The seat height is pretty low and not adjustable., you would kill your knees trying to pedal one of those.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-13-23, 01:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by plumberroy
My big question was that most of our MUP trails say no motors of any kind . Caught up with a park ranger in a local park and ask . He said in this county only type 1 e-bikes are allowed , if it has a throttle so it can move without peddling it's not allowed on the trails.

...there were, at last count, four rangers (at any given time) to patrol the entire 32 mile length of the American river parkway and bike trail. Those rangers spend the majority of their time trying to find reasonable solutions to the various issues that arise with homelessness and camping here. So there is zero time and attention left for e-bikes. "Motorized" vehicles have been prohibited for years on that parkway. But the simple expedient of calling them "bicycles", has led to a proliferation of them in that environment.

I guess it's proof that words have great power to alter our perception of reality.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 08-13-23 at 01:43 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-13-23, 01:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The problem that’s getting worse locally is this:

when you have to make the power yourself you largely have worked over time to have the skills to handle your bike at the speed you are pedaling it. The ebike throttle tools buy and ride and show zero wits for side of a trail to be on, they weave, in general….they ride ebikes like people drive cars that kill cyclists. Zero regard for others.

Zero issue with a majority pedal power commuter ebike. Zero. Issue here are the “buy and hero ride” tools infesting the area and giving good honest ebike folks a bad name that don’t deserve the bad name.

It started with the gas powered minibike idiots and feel with cheapo electric moped scooter bike things it’s moved to that.

Issue that makes me mad is that it also gives folks of any age or ability on pedal bikes a bad name also as walkers or joggers don’t see the difference then get the ears of local authorities.
Old 08-13-23, 01:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...looking away is a bad idea when something is coming at you going 25 mph that weighs that much, in a three foot wide bike lane. In California, they are even legal on sidewalks,

. If you read those NYT articles, maybe you'll figure out that :

1. Regulations differ by state.
2. Many of them are subject to user modification to eliminate those pesky speed governors.

Those are problems, even with experienced users. This discussion always goes in this direction. It's too bad, because while the discussions get shut down quickly, the marketplace continues to overload the relatively limited bicycle infrastructure here, with stuff that was prohibited, when propelled with ICE technology. It's not about them going faster than me. In fact, I consciously slow down when I'm aware of them nearby. I want them to get far away from me, in the shortest time frame possible. It's about the standard problem of increasing severity of injury, in collisions involving higher forces due to mass and speed.
You forgot to mention the point about one manufacturer that purposefully engineered their bikes’ speed governors to be easily modified allowing the bikes to achieve 70 MPH.

I like the fact that people are getting outdoors and getting some exercise on pedal-assist bikes, but many have limited skills or appropriate MUP skills which creates danger for all. Then there are the folks on these 50+ lb fat tire behemoth “bikes” cruising along at 20+ MPH on crowded paths, which scare me to death. As a result, other than walking my dog, I try to stay off them. I also believe that all e-bikes that have no pedal-assist or e-bikes that can go faster than 20 MPH should require some form of licensing so that people are forced to learn the rules of the road and trail. (True factoid: My wife has a pedal-assist Specialized e-bike speed limited to 20 MPH - but then she is also a seasoned ‘acoustic’ cyclist, so I have zero issue with people using the bikes responsibly.)

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-13-23, 02:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by rsbob
You forgot to mention the point about one manufacturer that purposefully engineered their bikes’ speed governors to be easily modified allowing the bikes to achieve 70 MPH.

...I probably missed mentioning a lot of stuff, like this guy. "Balance Bikes"...

LeGrand Crewse, a co-founder and the chief executive of Super73, which aims to sell 25,000 e-bikes this year. Credit...Alisha Jucevic for The New York Times
Old 08-13-23, 02:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
If I were to come up with regulations for unlicensed motorbikes, I'd focus on top speed. Most cyclists don't average higher than low 20s, if that. Seems a more reasonable limit than the current 30 mph. All this talk of throttles and pedals is just irrelevant distraction. Why should anyone care if the motor is engaged by hand or foot? Same goes for the type of motor. Gas, electric, does it matter? Regulations are largely written by industry lobbyists and a speed half again what can be achieved w/o a motor may help sell a product but may not be the best way to have these continue to be regarded as similar to pedal bikes.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.