Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 07:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, with long scars running from my high ankle to mid thigh and the lumps, depressions, and bulges that come from missing the top half of my fibula from the first time I had the tumor), pretty isn't even remotely a concern (or a possibility). The surgeon apologized that he couldn't go through the old scar, and I said that I wanted the best outcome (most likely to get all the tumor out and not have another recurrence) and faster healing and didn't care what it looked like.
So sorry to read about that! A sarcoma of some kind, I assume…

I endorse the hand cycle trainer idea. I used one when I was rehabbing from C-spine surgery and, while it wasn’t easy or fun, one could get a workout on it. Wonder if someone would rent you a “smart” one you could use on Zwift.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-28-24, 09:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
So sorry to read about that! A sarcoma of some kind, I assume…

I endorse the hand cycle trainer idea. I used one when I was rehabbing from C-spine surgery and, while it wasn’t easy or fun, one could get a workout on it. Wonder if someone would rent you a “smart” one you could use on Zwift.
Giant Cell Tumor of Bone, actually. Aggressive, but non-malignant. Seems to activate osteoclasts that lead to bone remodeling. I'll definitely look to see if my local gym has one of the handcycles or something else that can do cause upper body aerobic exercise.

Old 01-29-24, 09:46 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
Done with base season. Now we freshen up and work on top end power, while maintaining as much endurance as possible. It may not play out how I expect, I guess time will tell!
Likes For procrit:
Old 01-30-24, 06:39 PM
Spesh

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
I'm treating my year as if I had an event in July. I have nothing. But I miss riding with my bros that still race and I fell off too much last year for that to be a thing. It's been pretty fun to be able to train without fears of screwing it up. Can't ruin a season that doesn't exist.
Likes For Spesh:
Old 02-03-24, 02:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Snuck out for 3.25 hrs outside today, longest ride since the hernia procedure on 1/9. Goal was to bookend some solo riding around a local hammer ride, keep it mostly under control, and then see how my body responds to some sweet spot in the final half hour. It went well!

I did a mostly good job of sitting in on the ride, resisting the urge to pop out of the draft and tighten the screws on my favorite parts. My legs were feeling a bit heavy towards the 2.5 hr mark, but they responded nicely to the increase in tempo that I had planned for the end. Good stuff.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-04-24, 06:41 AM
himespau 

Yesterday, I was 4 days post-op. I may have taken a few liberties with the "walk if not limited by pain" post op instruction. Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to lose any range of motion in my knee (have a 3-4 inch incision about 3 inches below the knee from where the tumor was removed), so I did an hour nice and easy on Zwift. I had told myself that I was going to average at most 1.6 W/kg and keep my max under 1.8, but, of course, I found people juuuust a bit in front of me and "it'll be easier if I catch up to them and then suck their wheels for a while instead of riding solo" and the next thing I knew, I'd averaged 2.1-2.2 for the ride. Didn't feel any pain during or after, so there were no ill effects. Probably still don't want to push it for a while. It would have been interesting had I been dual-recording (or using a different platform that shows right/left balance and other output from my power pedals) because I could tell (especially during brief surges) that I was favoring my left (not operated) leg..

Likes For himespau:
Old 02-04-24, 10:17 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yesterday, I was 4 days post-op. I may have taken a few liberties with the "walk if not limited by pain" post op instruction. Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to lose any range of motion in my knee (have a 3-4 inch incision about 3 inches below the knee from where the tumor was removed), so I did an hour nice and easy on Zwift. I had told myself that I was going to average at most 1.6 W/kg and keep my max under 1.8, but, of course, I found people juuuust a bit in front of me and "it'll be easier if I catch up to them and then suck their wheels for a while instead of riding solo" and the next thing I knew, I'd averaged 2.1-2.2 for the ride. Didn't feel any pain during or after, so there were no ill effects. Probably still don't want to push it for a while. It would have been interesting had I been dual-recording (or using a different platform that shows right/left balance and other output from my power pedals) because I could tell (especially during brief surges) that I was favoring my left (not operated) leg..
Post some pre and post operation xrays if you have them.

Glad you are healing well.
Old 02-04-24, 11:33 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Post some pre and post operation xrays if you have them.

Glad you are healing well.
Don't have any x-rays (most of my stuff is MRI and I don't have access to those other than a DVD they gave me of my first one that requires specialized software that I don't have to open), but but I still remember when I was diagnosed after going and getting an xray and the tech was like, "holy crap, where's the top of your fibula? It's not on the image. Come look at this." That was a day.

Likes For himespau:
Old 02-05-24, 08:38 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

4 1/2 hr solo ride yesterday, mixed in some long tempo intervals and finished off with an 8' FTP effort plus a short sprint that took a 4 yr old Strava KOM. Super fun ride, I felt great the entire time.

I've doubled down on higher carb / low fat, and my recovery, sleep, on-bike performance, and energy is absolutely insane. No food restriction, and have actually lost a couple of pounds despite eating all the carbs I can physically keep down. Based on feel, I expect my FTP is up another 10 watts when I do the next test...
Likes For procrit:
Old 02-05-24, 03:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I have been off the radar for awhile - actually grounded. I crashed in September last year.

I am back in the gym and riding on Zwift. I did a one hour meet up ride with some friends this AM from former racing team. My weight is low but improving and endurance very low but today's ride felt good with few remaining issues from the crash. It will take several more months to recovery fully. The medical prognosis is for a complete recovery.

Onward and upward.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-05-24, 09:06 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by Hermes
I have been off the radar for awhile - actually grounded. I crashed in September last year.

I am back in the gym and riding on Zwift. I did a one hour meet up ride with some friends this AM from former racing team. My weight is low but improving and endurance very low but today's ride felt good with few remaining issues from the crash. It will take several more months to recovery fully. The medical prognosis is for a complete recovery.

Onward and upward.
What did you injure?
Old 02-07-24, 08:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

glad to hear that you're back training Hermes
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-07-24, 09:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Weight is back in check, so now I'm going to fuel more and chase more watts. I'm doing my intervals with a 305 ftp in Zwift for workouts. Success at 3x9 un/ov. Next is 3x12. I also "owe" myself some VO2 work soon. Been a bit. Some reason I just hate VO2 work. And the new math on VO2 sets using 305w and 120% scares me a little bit. 2x 3x3min at 365w doesn't sound very fun.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-08-24, 10:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Today I resumed my weekly indoor TT sessions. First time attempting this since the hernia op 1/9. Aimed for 20' in position, 10' z2 vibe check, followed by two successive 5' 20 watt increases. Thing is, the A-pacer bot group caught me right at the end of the 10' warmup, so it was more like +40w for 10 min right away .

10 days ago, bringing my knees this close to my chest/abdomen was a big no-no, too much pain. Happy to see progress! I might try to roll it downhill to Fiesta Island and put an honest workout outdoors on it. Maybe I'll aim to start racing the local TT series in April!

TT bike Thursdays are back!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-08-24, 01:57 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Zwift volcano (flat) for warmup and then 30" on 1' off intervals on London (flat) and finish the route with endurance. All body parts and systems seem to be functioning correctly. Now it is time in the saddle. And I want a Tron bike and a fast TT bike and wheel set. 1/2 way to level 11.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-09-24, 06:40 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Weight is back in check, so now I'm going to fuel more and chase more watts. I'm doing my intervals with a 305 ftp in Zwift for workouts. Success at 3x9 un/ov. Next is 3x12. I also "owe" myself some VO2 work soon. Been a bit. Some reason I just hate VO2 work. And the new math on VO2 sets using 305w and 120% scares me a little bit. 2x 3x3min at 365w doesn't sound very fun.
don't use percentage for VO2 work, or erg for that matter, just go max each time, power likely will fall a bit across efforts, the key is to keep HR up and cadence high. these are a little lower than I last did some work in Sept but my 3min power is generally 115% of my ftp, 4min is around 112% and 5min 111% based on my performance lately. percentage+erg=disaster

Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 02-11-24, 04:12 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2 hours of Zwift over the weekend. I did my first Zwift pacer ride today and did 30 minutes. Then I switched pacer rides / courses and did another 30 minutes.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-11-24, 04:29 PM
himespau 

2 hours of Zwift over the weekend. I did my first Zwift pacer ride today and did 30 minutes. Then I switched pacer rides / courses and did another 30 minutes.
I really appreciate their change from last summer that allows you to jump between pacers without stopping/restarting your ride. Can get warmed up with an easy one and then jump to a harder one to push, or ease back in a cooldown by jumping to an easier one (or modulate my post-race ride when I see that the one I usually ride with is too easy/hard today depending on what I did).

Likes For himespau:
Old 02-12-24, 02:40 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Dang. I somehow got a minor quad strain doing sprint intervals... it's slowly getting better, but being 3 weeks out from the race I'm not real excited about it. Good news is my endurance is really good, and my overall fitness is doing well, so if this clears up this week I shouldn't lose too much.
Likes For procrit:
Old 02-13-24, 09:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Won a Z race, Neokyo Crit mass start/uncategorized, 1st/50

Was real dynamic after the front group formed early on. Lots of attacks and regroups. A couple guys stayed OTF for nearly half the race, impressive.

I wanted to attack early in the last lap to get a better workout and strive for a more glorious win mode, but others had the same idea. It was pretty hard just staying on and I was a bit blown with 1 mile to go TBH. I got an aero powerup shortly thereafter and it gave me a second wind (pun intended). Guess I had the fastest sprint!

Capped the ride off with 10 more minutes in the A bot group.

front group forming early on

yay
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-13-24, 09:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

#badass
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-15-24, 10:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Just motoring around today on the (IRL) TT bike, getting my hamstrings used to it again. Screencap below was a 1x15' at z3.

Orange cap was the right choice! It looks cool with the new Tour de Zwift kit.

zoom zoom
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-15-24, 10:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Also yesterday, I tested the waters with my strength exercises before the hernia op. Everything that doesn't directly target my lower abs is ok, nice. Leg lifts etc will still need to wait. Going to resume business as usual and sub those out until I am able.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-15-24, 11:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Tuesday, I did a leg strength session at the gym and then rode the track for the first time since September of last year. Well, I rode on the blue band at Velo Sports Center and threw in some laps in the pole lane. Doing another strength and track session today.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-15-24, 06:59 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Tuesday, I did a leg strength session at the gym and then rode the track for the first time since September of last year. Well, I rode on the blue band at Velo Sports Center and threw in some laps in the pole lane. Doing another strength and track session today.
I was told to never ride on the cote d'azur. I thought most slower training is supposed to be done above the stayers line. Please correct me if I'm way off. I've only done the required intro course and a couple track days, and that was years ago.

When our fancy new indoor track is finished I plan on getting more involved. Our outdoor track kind of sucks and it's closed most of the year (Canada).

Last edited by Enthalpic; 02-16-24 at 12:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.