Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Cyclist Killed on Caņada Rd

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 09:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,918 Times in 6,103 Posts
Cyclist Killed on Caņada Rd

Last evening.

Acura with 22 year old driver, near Filoli. I've seen idiots in hot cars use that stretch as a drag strip a number of times over the years, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that happened here.

The road there is wide, and there's a wide bike lane to boot. It's one of the most popular roads for cycling for that reason, and because it's the best way to get from San Mateo and North down to Woodside, but also it's a very pretty ride itself, with no cross traffic for 4 miles, and no stop signs for 6 miles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-11-23, 11:28 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
:/

Planning to ride there tomorrow up kings mountain. Sometimes it just does not seem worth it to ride on the road.
Old 04-11-23, 11:59 AM
sanmateoclimber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Ugh, I was southbound on Canada when several emergency vehicles were still showing up, probably within the first half hour of it happening. They were turning traffic away, and I ended up walking my bike along the footpath to get around the scene-- I didn't see much carnage but I also really didn't care to gawk. I got a SM county alert that it was a traffic accident with a fatality, and knew right away what that inevitably would mean when I read about it today. I too have seen many drivers totally floor it down Canada over the years, and of course routinely see the tread marks from *******s doing donuts out in front of the water temple. I'm not a very traffic-wary rider, but I've had some uncomfortable passes when I take the lane to overtake other cyclists on that road, and will definitely think twice about how much to trust the drivers coming up behind me out there in the future. My heart goes out to anyone who knew the guy.
Old 04-11-23, 05:41 PM
letrebici

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
My condolences to the cyclist’s family and friends. This occured on the main part of my “back yard” ride. I am a casual rider, I love Canada Rd, especially the wide shoulders and scenery. I rode it on Sunday, it was very mellow (Easter holiday). This incident pushed me to buy a Garmin Varia Radar unit today and I have already installed and test rode it. Amazing tech! I am a safe rider with at least one rear very bright blinkie LED light and some obnoxious visibility shirt/jacket. And I am always listening for cars approaching. I am usually more surprised by the speedy race riders who buzz by me within an arms length, without any warning. I prefer riding on trails but many local trails are still closed to biking. Stay alert out there on your rides while setting records or just having fun!
Old 04-11-23, 09:43 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Last evening.

Acura with 22 year old driver, near Filoli. I've seen idiots in hot cars use that stretch as a drag strip a number of times over the years, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that happened here.

The road there is wide, and there's a wide bike lane to boot. It's one of the most popular roads for cycling for that reason, and because it's the best way to get from San Mateo and North down to Woodside, but also it's a very pretty ride itself, with no cross traffic for 4 miles, and no stop signs for 6 miles.
I hate the way these stories are written. Literally says "was killed after his bicycle collided with a car". You mean, after he was run over from behind? If both were going the same direction, the bike certainly didn't "hit the car". Every time, these stories seem to be written to excuse the actions of drivers. Always using words like "collision" and "accident" and this incorrect phrasing "his bicycle collided with a car". There's never justice for the families of those who are killed while out riding. I definitely choose my routes differently now, and ride less than I used to, just because it's so crazy out there.
Old 04-12-23, 07:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
How the *** do you run over someone on Canada road? Its like the single most traversed bicycle road in the area. When i heard about this I was convinced the cyclist must have been doing something ignorant involving the Edgewood hill, but it sounds like he was just ran the *** down. No safety takeaways. Jesus christ.
Old 04-12-23, 09:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
How the *** do you run over someone on Canada road? Its like the single most traversed bicycle road in the area. When i heard about this I was convinced the cyclist must have been doing something ignorant involving the Edgewood hill, but it sounds like he was just ran the *** down. No safety takeaways. Jesus christ.
Gabe - next time you roll through the area between Filoli gate and the Water Temple, have a look at all the tire marks on the roadway. Lots of motorheads treat the area like a combined drag strip and skid pad.

Old 04-13-23, 07:49 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
A peloton is stopping to pay respects at the site of the crash at around 12:45 today if anyone wants to join
Old 04-13-23, 10:37 PM
letrebici

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Rest in peace Lester Legarda. He was hit by a car driver on Caņada Road on Monday afternoon near Filoli. Lester was a member of the Peninsula Velo bicycle club. https://www.nbcbayarea.com/.../lester-legarda.../3203304/
...from Western Wheelers Bicycle Club FB page. RIP Lester.

​​​​​​​ Ride safely everyone!
Old 04-15-23, 10:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I rode by the memorial last night. I realized it's only about 50 yards away from the spot where Norlando Bioc was killed back in 2000. If you ever wondered about that wrought iron marker afixed to the rock that juts right up to the bike lane on the Southbound side, at the peak of the hill after Filoli, it's a marker for him.

Be careful out there, folks.

Old 04-28-23, 12:20 PM
rwxrob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who did this?

Why aren't we hearing anything about the motorist who ******g murdered Lester? Was he apprehended? Who is prosecuting him? What is his official "testimony"? This tragedy will just keep on happening until justice brings these ****ers what they deserve. I wish Lester had an incident camera and that the radar recorded the speeds of on-coming recent cars. I've started riding with a GoPro front and rear mounted as well, and I live in NASCAR USA where I regularly get yelled at and honked at just for being on the shoulder of a road that has "share the road" signage. After this I'm sticking with Sunday morning rides where any traffic would be questionable (morons with trucks and rice-rockets tend to sleep in on Sunday morning). The rest is all suburban hills, trails, and more looking for good gravel. If there is one thing most motor-heads hate it is a chip in their paint from gravel. I ******g hate that cycling has to completely morph to accommodate this idiocy. The world is being run by idiots because idiots don't give a ****.

Last edited by rwxrob; 04-28-23 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-30-23, 09:53 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
Rode by Canada today.

My riding partner pointed out the new angel-bike/ghost-bike to mark the location. I hadn't seen the news of this.

Sad.

​Sending safe wishes to the community.