Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 03:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
How much accuracy is necessary?
As long the ride is comfortable and not harsh and as long as you're not getting pinch flats, that's all that matters and this is easily achieved by feel. No need for any calculators or complex mathematical calculations..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-15-23, 04:25 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
As long the ride is comfortable and not harsh and as long as you're not getting pinch flats, that's all that matters ...
It might surprise you to know there is a fairly large coterie of us who care about how fast we go. So no, comfort and lack of pinch flats are not all that matter.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 12-15-23, 04:55 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
I will use a gauge so I have a baseline.
If I just use how it feels the pressure will never be repeatable.
I do care about speed. Comfort isn’t as important. The recommended pressure was calculated by an engineer smarter than I am. I will trust him and adjust in small amounts for my body weight and road surface.
Old 12-15-23, 07:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
How much accuracy is necessary?
I have not seen a hard number on that. but I would think withing 5 lbs or less delta

example my lezyne floor pump showed 110 psi, but when measured with a topeak it showed 120, so I pump the silca to 100 if and it gets me very close to 110 topeak: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=44436

did the same compare with my battery pump and the pump matches the gauge the electric pump pumps to slightly over, stops pumping and then lets air out until it reaches the set pressure (milwaukee m18 tire pump got it for cars, but works great with bikes especially by adding a silca chuck)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-15-23, 09:10 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Pepperbelly: I would not go above the maximum rated pressure of tires/rims (whichever is lower).
Use a reliable gauge (ideally a digital) that has been cross checked with another one possibly from you bike shop. Most tires may have a significant margin for safety than rated maximum pressure but I wouldn’t want to take any chances to test the limit.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-16-23, 08:24 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 383 Posts
4.9"x26"
5psi front 7psi rear

It's more of a tracked vehicle than a bike
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 12-20-23, 01:14 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
For road and quality tires, I use an online tire pressure calculator.
I just used that online pressure calculator for my atypical road bike (26x1.5" tubeless slicks on a Trek 990 MTB frame) and it spit out numbers almost identical to what I've settled on through trial and error. 60psi front, 65 psi back. Might have been a fluke. Or maybe the calculator is actually pretty good?
Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 12-21-23, 01:06 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I hadn't put more air in my road bike tires for a month despite riding almost every day. When I put air in my tires, I did notice that they were running lower than I had thought. Rode 35 miles on them and they felt a lot better although the ride was a little harsher than before at times.
Old 12-21-23, 04:55 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Pepperbelly, I think your pressure is right where you need to be for the given load they are carrying. Yes there are tires that will be marginally fast-er, but at a high price. Tires are an easy visual target, you can buy really expensive tires for marginal gains. The greatest source of drag though is the rider themselves. A big wide sail with arms, legs and a head. You can't buy your way out of that, but you can reduce that drag as best you can, and it's free. Clothing helps some for sure, but the rider has to do the rest in regards to positioning. I know I noticed it for sure, notably going into headwinds.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 12-21-23, 05:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
yup .... when it comes to speed .... a few pounds of air pressure are not the make-or-break issue. If it was, pros would be stopping periodically during races to re-test tire pressure---after all, friction and ambient temperature can affect tire pressure .....

In the same way, a few hundred grams of bike weight are not going to make or break a ride.

It is 99 percent the rider .... and unless you are a pro on a big team (in which case the mechanics do all that stuff) then you are likely going to ride better if you are a little more comfortable .... a little less energy drain, a little less interference, a little more enthusiasm, is probably going to help you ride better ... if that even means "faster" to you or not.
Likes For Maelochs: