Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dave Scott Centurion Ironman?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dave Scott Centurion Ironman?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 08:33 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It's clearly not worth trying to convince him.
Old 12-16-23, 09:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here you go. Top models from 83-85. The Turbos are under 21lbs even with the triples and big cassettes. Storming Of Thunder Ridge mode. The Prestige is under 20. No carbon at all and heavy(but comfortable) saddles. I also have an 85 IM and an 87 Asian market Dave Scott Master. Because of licensing conflicts, the IM name was not used in Asia. The only common frames are the 2 Turbos. The IM frames are a little less aggressive geometry.

Likes For seypat:
Old 12-16-23, 10:37 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,929 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
My point being that the Dave Scott Centurion Ironman (or wahtever it's official name was) was a repainted exiisting Centurion road frame marketed to triatheletes (that spelling can't be right, but since lazy is my point here...), at a time when bikes specifically designed for time trialing had existed for several years. I did a few tris back then, and did fairly well. Does anyone remember the Cinelli LA 84 bars?...
The time trial bikes of the 80s bear only a superficial resemblance to later triathlon bikes. The former have standard seat tube angles and staggered wheels, vs the steep STA on the Tri bikes. Look at the 1989 Ironman Championship photos and videos - those are standard road bike frames, with either tri bars or road bars and clip-ons.

BTW, AFAICT in 1990, that's what Lemond road for the TdF TTs - the staggered wheels are gone.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-16-23, 11:46 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
My understanding was staggered wheels were more a thing for the TTT, where it allowed you to get a few inches closer to the draft while also having a 700c rear for top-end gearing. For triathlon the need to carry both tube sizes in exchange for... nothing. I know it was done for a bit, maybe because that was what the cyclists did, but staggered wheels didn't even have the effect of lowering the rider the way 650c front and rear did.

Which, I'm told, isn't a measurable effect, but dammit it looks significant.
Old 12-16-23, 12:22 PM
seypat

Of the Centurion's I talked about/own, the IMs has the longest TT. I can't remember about the chain stays. Probably longer also. All are 56s except the Prestige(54). The Prestige is 54 square. The Turbos are like 55.5 square. The IM have 56.5 TTs. Centurion's ST are measured from the BB center to the lowest part of the top of the ST lug. Seems like Lemond bikes have longer than normal TTs as well.
Old 12-18-23, 05:50 AM
seypat

It has been brought to my attention, by the former BF's Godfather of Centurion IMs no less, that an 88 IM make an appearance in the Reacher series. Season 2 Episode 1, around 49 minutes in.
Old 12-19-23, 08:07 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
it has been brought to my attention, by the former bf's godfather of centurion ims no less, that an 88 im make an appearance in the reacher series. Season 2 episode 1, around 49 minutes in.
lol.