Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Breakfast ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Breakfast ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 01:40 PM
flex1493

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breakfast ?

Hi guys sorry for the newbie ? Do most of you guys have breakfast b4 or eat something after you ride. Should I have something to eat B4 a ride and if yes what do you reccamend I have?. I'm not ricing but I'm training to hang with the guys.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-18-12, 01:48 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is the same for any exercise or sporting activity.

If you go hard, you can't eat anything solid and significant for 2-3 hours prior. You can do a banana and a gel or something. You really should know this or you've never tried it and puked.

If you're on a leisurely pace it's different. I can eat a huge breakfast and still ride 10 mph with my dad on a MUP.
Old 01-18-12, 01:53 PM
flex1493

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks for the info. I was not sure about.
Old 01-18-12, 02:01 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pb&j
Old 01-18-12, 02:06 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL

If you go hard, you can't eat anything solid and significant for 2-3 hours prior. You can do a banana and a gel or something. You really should know this or you've never tried it and puked.

If you're on a leisurely pace it's different. I can eat a huge breakfast and still ride 10 mph with my dad on a MUP.
Huh? Before my best RR last year I had oatmeal, yogurt, eggs, and waffles. Another time I had a huge plate of huevos rancheros with tortillas, potatoes, beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cheese, hot sauce, etc. maybe 20 minutes before the race. I have a teammate who always eats a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a bagel before races.

Everyone's different.
Old 01-18-12, 02:33 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts

this is poor advice.

your body is a machine that burns fuel to function, and if you're putting serious efforts in, you need to stay fueled. the science of nutrition for cyclists is complex and a long story, but the bottom line is that, when you ride, you burn calories, and if you run out of calories to burn, you're in trouble.

if you're going for a long, hard ride, you better believe you need to eat something before you go, and often times, during the ride.

ever watch the pros race, the TdF for example - those little bags they pick up along the way are stuffed with the nutrition they need to keep going, sometimes sandwiches, energy bars, gels, coca-cola, etc.

experiment with what works for you, the longer and harder you ride, the more obvious the needs and solutions will become.
Old 01-18-12, 02:38 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Seriously?

Read the original post again. He's not talking about competing in the TdF and I don't believe they set out before breakfast time.

I absolutely recognize the value of proper eating before and during an event. I'm just saying that if you are going to ride hard early in the morning, eat light before, gels during, and save your big meal for after.

I can't explain GirlAnachronism... however I don't think I am in the minority when I say that if I eat heavy too close to a hard workout, puking will result.
Old 01-18-12, 02:40 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's different for everyone, some can only eat a light amount before riding and others can eat whatever they want. I usually have a big bowl of cereal or oatmeal and a banana with a cup of water or juice. But i've had eggs, a bagel, bacon, and a waffle before riding and felt the same as when i have my normal breakfast so i can pretty much eat whatever i want before riding. Just experiment and see what your stomach can handle, cause like i said it varies for everybody.
Old 01-18-12, 02:46 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh boy here we go. GA great advice.
TdF riders, National Level riders and pack fodders like me almost all follow the same ritual.
You NEED to eat before you ride regardless of your training goals. Then you need to eat while on the bike. Nutrition is the most underrated part of riding.
For me? I will have 3 eggs, the equivalent amount of egg whites, 2-3 strips of turkey bacon, (2) whole wheat toast and fruit 2-2.5 hours before a ride/race.
About half an hour before a race I will have another small snack and about two minutes before "GO" I will eat a gel. I then start eating at 1 hour and have something every 20 minutes (1-2 powerbar gummy thingy) with something a little heavier on the hour.
Old 01-18-12, 02:47 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Before a difficult morning ride I generally eat a sausage and egg biscuit 1.5 hours before the ride. Easier rides I'll have a bowl of cereal or an egg sandwich.
Old 01-18-12, 02:47 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
this is poor advice.

your body is a machine that burns fuel to function, and if you're putting serious efforts in, you need to stay fueled. the science of nutrition for cyclists is complex and a long story, but the bottom line is that, when you ride, you burn calories, and if you run out of calories to burn, you're in trouble.

if you're going for a long, hard ride, you better believe you need to eat something before you go, and often times, during the ride.

ever watch the pros race, the TdF for example - those little bags they pick up along the way are stuffed with the nutrition they need to keep going, sometimes sandwiches, energy bars, gels, coca-cola, etc.

experiment with what works for you, the longer and harder you ride, the more obvious the needs and solutions will become.

it may not be universally applicable, but it's not poor advice.

i'm with ColinL. i absolutely CANNOT eat anything (except maybe a gel) within 3 hours of any hard workout. for an easier ride, MAYBE a granola bar or an apple 2 hours before. anything else messes up my stomach. i know my stomach is sensitive and i'm probably on the extreme end of the spectrum, but my point is that you can't set strict rules that will work for everyone.
Old 01-18-12, 02:51 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I usually just eat a slice of toast. I really hate eating in the morning, but when I have a little larger breakfast(toast with eggs or cereal) then I feel a lot better while riding.
Old 01-18-12, 02:53 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
It depends ..... on you, the type of ride, time of day.
Is your ride a 20 mile ride with a bunch of guys spinning around, or 100 miles with 8,000 feet of climbing ?
There is no single answer. You need to experiment, bring food on the longer rides, and drink enough.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-18-12, 02:55 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
It depends ..... on you, the type of ride, time of day.
Is your ride a 20 mile ride with a bunch of guys spinning around, or 100 miles with 8,000 feet of climbing ?
There is no single answer. You need to experiment, bring food on the longer rides, and drink enough.
Hey brew the only answer is more food - all my rides are planned around Shoney's locations
Old 01-18-12, 02:57 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,815 Posts
yes

Old 01-18-12, 02:57 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
one thing is for sure.

espresso = rocket fuel.
Old 01-18-12, 02:58 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Seriously?

Read the original post again. He's not talking about competing in the TdF and I don't believe they set out before breakfast time.

I absolutely recognize the value of proper eating before and during an event. I'm just saying that if you are going to ride hard early in the morning, eat light before, gels during, and save your big meal for after.

I can't explain GirlAnachronism... however I don't think I am in the minority when I say that if I eat heavy too close to a hard workout, puking will result.
If I eat three hours before a ride and my ride is three hours it's six hours before I eat anything significant. That ain't going to work. Depending on how hard I'll eat something an hour before and eat during whatever I'm doing. If it's a race I'll eat a meal 2-3 hours before and eat hourly up to the race.
Old 01-18-12, 03:00 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
If I eat three hours before a ride and my ride is three hours it's six hours before I eat anything significant. That ain't going to work. Depending on how hard I'll eat something an hour before and eat during whatever I'm doing. If it's a race I'll eat a meal 2-3 hours before and eat hourly up to the race.
A classy answer from a classy guy.
Old 01-18-12, 03:03 PM
agoodale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with GA & others on breakfast. Oatmeal, eggs, & coffee for me. I'll try and eat about 1/2 hour to 1 hour before a morning hammerfest or race.

Lunch is completely different. If a race is anywhere between 11am - 2pm I'll skip lunch. I snack lightly between breakfast and the race & then eat gels and/or bars during the race. If I eat a real lunch I feel like cr*p. In fact, I like to feel a little bit hungry right before an afternoon race.
Old 01-18-12, 03:14 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
that sounds entirely reasonable to have intervals of smaller food intake.
Old 01-18-12, 03:17 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
I ride about an hour first thing in the morning, usually (actually almost always) I never eat beforehand, if I were going any longer I would though.
Old 01-18-12, 04:17 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

I find this to be true if by 'hard' you mean anaerobic workouts. However, few training rides start out hard and no one rides 'hard' for 3 hrs. I didn't like to eat within 4 hours of playing hockey which is basically 20-30 anaerobic sprints. Cycling, on the other hand, is generally much less intense and I can eat a decent breakfast an hour before starting a ride without any problem.
Old 01-18-12, 04:21 PM
Beau210

Bikes: Orbea Onix TLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eat oatmeal with some brown sugar and a banana in the morning about an hour or so before the ride and eat something as soon after as you can. (You should have been hydrating since the night before and all the way through your ride)
Old 01-18-12, 04:26 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your body is a machine, I like to eat big an hour or so before a big ride and then fuel up after again.

that being said, when I commute in the morning I often have nothing besides a cup of tea and granola bar if that. But in that case I usually wake up and am out the door in 15 or 20 minutes and only ride 7.5 miles. I always eat when I get to school though, after I smoke my morning cigarette
Old 01-18-12, 04:28 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
If the car tank is near empty, I probably wont fill it for a short drive to the corner store. If I am going on a 3 hour drive, well, it just wouldn't make sense to not fuel first.

Yes, eat, but leave time as others have suggested for digestion.

I have 3 eggs about two hours before a hard ride, then a bowl of oatmeal and a coffee about one hour before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.