Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

OK, Deep wheel guys (and gals)...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 06:49 AM
davesax36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much time do you really spend above 25mph getting that aero benefit. This is really a question for when you're riding alone or in a small group. My solo rides are averaging 18-19 mph right now (mostly flat, but with north texas wind). I'm getting the upgraditis itch and am wondering if dropping $5-$800 is gonna give me a really noticeable improvement in feel/speed/placebo effect.
Old 11-02-11, 06:51 AM
Farby

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You won't notice much of a difference/improvement. But you will look cooler.
Old 11-02-11, 06:53 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best Placebo affect you can get! Never under-estimate the power of confidence.
Old 11-02-11, 06:57 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are getting the aero benefit regardless of your speed. It's small enough that it's somewhat tough to "feel" though. You're talking a 2% change.
Old 11-02-11, 08:31 AM
yrodriguez317

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You won't notice much of a difference/improvement. But you will look cooler.
+1
Old 11-02-11, 08:35 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by davesax36
dropping $5-$800
good luck finding "deep" wheels with that budget that dont weigh as much as a boat anchor.
Old 11-02-11, 08:46 AM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave, your supposition that you don't get any aero benefit below 25 mph is false. The aero benefits increase by the square of the speed, so the faster, the greater the benefit true, but you will notice an aero benefit above about 20 mph. On my training ride yesterday (Illinois, some tiny hills), I spent just under 20% of the time above 24 mph.

The benefits here are real, and noticeable. So much so, that the people on my group rides joked about making a maximum 30mm deep dish "law" as they didn't like my coasting past them on downhills where they are pedaling. I was so pleased with my 404's that I changed to 808's this year.

In the interest of full disclosure, they do look cool, and sound even better. On the downside, the 808's do make it a little trickier riding in wind/gusts. Below 25 or so mph it's not to bad, but above 30 or stronger gusts, if I'm riding with anyone else, I'll usually go to my training wheels. I ride the 808's whenever I can because they are tubies and ride so nice.
Old 11-02-11, 08:46 AM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
good luck finding "deep" wheels with that budget that dont weigh as much as a boat anchor.
+1
Old 11-02-11, 08:54 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think there's a lot to say for the placebo effect. I know it did wonders for me.

Here's my rationale. I don't spend a whole lot of time above 25mph solo, but in a group we'll sit around 28-30mph for decent stretches of time. While I'm definitely taking advantage of the draft, it's still hard to maintain that pace for me. Since I switched to my 58mm wheels I feel like it's a tiny bit easier to hold on to that pace. I still eventually get spit out the back if we stay at 25+ for too long, but with the deeper wheels I feel like I'm able to stick around a little longer. In theory, the longer I stay in the group, the better workout I get, which in turn increases fitness, which in turn lets me stay in the group longer, etc, etc, etc.

Sure non-aero wheels could do the same thing, but they don't do much to keep me in the pack at those higher speeds which means (all things being equal) I wouldn't last as long to start out with, meaning I'd have much more ground to gain while trying to stay with the pack for the whole ride.

Disclaimer: I understand this is all theoretical thinking and might not prove true in practice. But I don't care. I feel like I'm able to hold higher speeds a little better with these wheels on. Feeling faster makes me want to get out and ride more/longer/harder which improves fitness, which makes me faster.

So (Aero = confidence = more/harder training = fitness = speed)
Old 11-02-11, 09:01 AM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
+1

The closest you'll find is the Boyd 38mm Tubulars.
Old 11-02-11, 09:03 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
If you're going to continue riding solo it's kind of pointless to upgrade to deeper wheels. You won't 'feel' a difference although you should be able to measure it if you're careful enough. It will likely be less than .5MPH though.
Old 11-02-11, 09:03 AM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear disc wheel all the way if you have the powa
Old 11-02-11, 09:09 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You are going to love it when a decent cross wind hits you. That's why I flick passed mine (50mm deep) off to some poor bastard. As mentioned...you'll look great though.
Old 11-02-11, 09:34 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't notice any benefit when I got my aero wheels, but the bike did look cooler which made me want to push a little harder. I didn't get them to make me faster though, I just like how they look.
Old 11-02-11, 09:54 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ancker
I think there's a lot to say for the placebo effect. I know it did wonders for me.

Here's my rationale. I don't spend a whole lot of time above 25mph solo, but in a group we'll sit around 28-30mph for decent stretches of time. While I'm definitely taking advantage of the draft, it's still hard to maintain that pace for me. Since I switched to my 58mm wheels I feel like it's a tiny bit easier to hold on to that pace. I still eventually get spit out the back if we stay at 25+ for too long, but with the deeper wheels I feel like I'm able to stick around a little longer. In theory, the longer I stay in the group, the better workout I get, which in turn increases fitness, which in turn lets me stay in the group longer, etc, etc, etc.

Sure non-aero wheels could do the same thing, but they don't do much to keep me in the pack at those higher speeds which means (all things being equal) I wouldn't last as long to start out with, meaning I'd have much more ground to gain while trying to stay with the pack for the whole ride.

Disclaimer: I understand this is all theoretical thinking and might not prove true in practice. But I don't care. I feel like I'm able to hold higher speeds a little better with these wheels on. Feeling faster makes me want to get out and ride more/longer/harder which improves fitness, which makes me faster.

So (Aero = confidence = more/harder training = fitness = speed)
Great post, and matches my thoughts that anything which makes it easier for me to stick with a challenging group, or reduces my effort to do so, is a good thing.
Old 11-02-11, 10:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
If you're going to continue riding solo it's kind of pointless to upgrade to deeper wheels. You won't 'feel' a difference although you should be able to measure it if you're careful enough. It will likely be less than .5MPH though.
I've tried a few times, and Zipp 303 (older, non-Firecrest) wheels feel easier to turn than Nuvations. It's not huge, but it's noticeable. I don't think it's rim weight, because they're easier to spin up, but they're also easier to keep turning.
Old 11-02-11, 10:30 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't any head wind and the aero wheels will help?
BTW, what about the Eastons EA90 SLX?
Old 11-02-11, 10:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've tried a few times, and Zipp 303 (older, non-Firecrest) wheels feel easier to turn than Nuvations. It's not huge, but it's noticeable. I don't think it's rim weight, because they're easier to spin up, but they're also easier to keep turning.
Likely placebo. Given that environmental conditions are virtually never the same it would be very difficult to actually 'feel' a difference that you could attribute to wheels vs a 1MPH lower headwind. Maybe your riding conditions are different, but I always have wind to deal with so the power to speed relationship is always different.
Old 11-02-11, 10:50 AM
chemicalbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was an interesting article on Bicycling.com where an MIT aerodynamics researcher spoke aerodynamics. Here is a quote about aero wheels.

"Most people don't realize that a nonaero helmet creates four times the drag of a nonaero wheelset. So you can spend two thousand dollars on a wheelset, or spend two hundred on a helmet and be faster. How you put your race number on matters more than having an aero wheel; today, we glued on our numbers to get them to fit flatter. Then there's water bottle placement: On a round-tubed frame, having a bottle on your seat tube is more aerodynamic than not having one at all, and it's much more aero than putting it on the down tube. And wearing gloves in a time trial will slow you down more than using a nonaero front wheel."

Here is the full article.
Old 11-02-11, 10:53 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
One thing no one has really touched on is that if you are riding into a head wind your air speed is you actual speed plus the wind speed. So say your doing 10 mph into a 20mph head wind...the air is going past your bike at 30 mph and those wheels (or anything else aero you are doing) are helping.

I'm no pro...or racer. I average 17-18 mph on 30-40 mile solo rides. For a time I had Soul S4.0 40mm alloy clinchers and for sure I felt a difference. I gave them to my father who races...he says he can tell the difference.

I just picked up a set of Reynolds DV3K from Bonktown for $865 shipped and can't wait to ride them.
Old 11-02-11, 12:48 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davesax36
How much time do you really spend above 25mph getting that aero benefit. This is really a question for when you're riding alone or in a small group. My solo rides are averaging 18-19 mph right now (mostly flat, but with north texas wind). I'm getting the upgraditis itch and am wondering if dropping $5-$800 is gonna give me a really noticeable improvement in feel/speed/placebo effect.
Placebo effect you will definately gain ... and an added bonus: whooshy sound!
Personally I average about 22-23 mph on my rides with my TT-bike lately ... that means I often ride 25+ mph and even 30+ on long downgrades.
For doing 18-19 it'll help ... but only a second or a bit more per kilometer ... if gaining a second or so per k is your goal: go for it.
Old 11-02-11, 12:51 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColorChange
So much so, that the people on my group rides joked about making a maximum 30mm deep dish "law" as they didn't like my coasting past them on downhills where they are pedaling.
People coasting past other people on downhills are usually simply heavier or have a better position ... the wheels will only play a minor role.
Old 11-02-11, 01:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Likely placebo. Given that environmental conditions are virtually never the same it would be very difficult to actually 'feel' a difference that you could attribute to wheels vs a 1MPH lower headwind. Maybe your riding conditions are different, but I always have wind to deal with so the power to speed relationship is always different.
Maybe, but I'm not convinced. A set of Zipp 303s felt like less work to turn than a set of Madfibers, which are lighter and more expensive; both felt more than a little easier to roll than my stock wheels. If it's just the placebo, I'd expect the Zipps and Madfibers to be equal, or, maybe even for the MFs to seem better, as they cost more. But the way my legs ranked the amount of work I was doing matches up with how aerodynamic each set of wheels actually is ... Occam's razor suggests that the simplest reason for that isn't placebo.

Maybe there's been a 1 mph headwind while I've been on the lesser wheels, and it turned into a tailwind on the good wheels, but that's not very parsimonious. Especially on shorter test rides where I've done a few miles in one direction, then turned around and come back.

It might be that the benefits of highly aero wheels are so small at 20 to 25 mph that humans can't perceive them. My own personal, unscientific, anecdotal experience makes me doubt this idea, though.
Old 11-02-11, 01:19 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unless you are double blind testing there is no way you can just trust your senses in such things, Seatle Forest.
It's like this with all things: wine tasting, music listening, wheelsets, .... people are convinced they know and feel differences and then in double blind tests they fail miserably.
Old 11-02-11, 01:24 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
People coasting past other people on downhills are usually simply heavier or have a better position ... the wheels will only play a minor role.
^Agreed^ I couldn't believe how many folks I was passing on the descents at the everest challenge this year with my 145 lbs, round spokes and shallow HED C2 rims. It's about profile and weight. If you can hover your chin over your stem, pull knees and elbows in, and be comfortable doing so, you can greatly increase your "coasting downhill" speed. If you're tall, skinny, flexible and relatively heavier ( 180-200), you have the added weight without the added profile, small bits of time lost on climbs can easily be brought back descending.

I ride with a guy who's around 6'5 or 6'6, weighs between 190 and 200, and I find myself struggling to even hold his draft on descents because he's just THAT much faster. If you drop back even at all, it's over and he's gone.

-Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.