Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 06:23 AM
rmr1923

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
Sweet Wilier and Felt guys... Here is mine as it sits after full tuneup and Bottom Bracket servicing for the Tour de Cure tomorrow morning. Sorry for the camerawork, I couldn't find the tripod and I just wanted to take a pic before bringing it in.
that's one sweet ride i'm jelous
Old 06-05-11, 07:10 AM
HowardF

Bikes: 2011 Gravity Liberty 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's awfully embarrassing ... I will have to fix them ASAP. Honestly, I think part of my lack of attention to detail is probably from excitement of finally having a bike I could ride around. It also is a downside of ordering from BD; no instructions are included whatsoever. As strange as it looks, I think it took very little effort to put the bars on that way, which is probably pretty strange. I'll also have to install my lights/reflectors when I fix the bars.

I took the picture on my iphone, used the camera+ app, so I'm gonna say no Photoshop used. Can't be dumb in something you didn't use, right?

Thanks for pointing out my idiocy! Haha I think I'll keep the picture just for kicks.
Old 06-05-11, 07:50 AM
Pelux
Back of the pack

Bikes: 2011 Allez Comp (black), 2007ish Fuji Absolute 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanna see this picture! (Did you take it down, or can I not see it cause Im on my GFs Mac?)
Old 06-05-11, 11:01 AM
JAMES_AMTRAK
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My current ride.

This is my first bike as I'm new to cycling. its the trek madone 5.2 with ultegra. After purchase I upgraded to a fizik saddle new hoods, fizik bar tape, spacers and new cable housing to give it a little more color. I have been riding for a little over 9 weeks now. have logged over 2000k miles and ride with fast group rides 5 days a week that include cat 1,2,3.

cycling is by far the most enjoyable thing i have ever done. as a ex distance runner with pr's of 14:58 for 5k 5000m. this is so much fun. I look to be racing early next year once i build up a massive amount of base mileage and hill and intreval workouts. I am currently looking for a good racing wheelset to purchase for racing road races as im not into the crit thing as much.( i want to do the longer races and not something that seems like a 30 minute sprint)

9 weeks in and I am riding at a 21-28 pace for 65 miles and not getting dropped finally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4039.jpg (100.8 KB, 57 views)
IMG_4038.jpg (96.4 KB, 56 views)
IMG_4036.jpg (101.7 KB, 104 views)
IMG_4037.jpg (99.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-05-11, 11:12 AM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HowardF
Wow, that's awfully embarrassing ... I will have to fix them ASAP. Honestly, I think part of my lack of attention to detail is probably from excitement of finally having a bike I could ride around. It also is a downside of ordering from BD; no instructions are included whatsoever. As strange as it looks, I think it took very little effort to put the bars on that way, which is probably pretty strange. I'll also have to install my lights/reflectors when I fix the bars.

I took the picture on my iphone, used the camera+ app, so I'm gonna say no Photoshop used. Can't be dumb in something you didn't use, right?

Thanks for pointing out my idiocy! Haha I think I'll keep the picture just for kicks.
I think you got a lot of **** for that, and while some of it (maybe even my comment) was over the top, haven't you seen a road bike before? I mean since you're posting in this thread, I have to assume you've seen dozens. It didn't strike you as odd that your handlebars were upside down? You need to take that bike to your closest bike shop and have them put it together right... even if you think you already did. There are likely adjustments to be made and things to tighten that you didn't notice, and you'll be infinitely happier with the bike once you do this. As for reflectors, you shouldn't be putting any more on... but rather take those ones off the wheel!
Old 06-05-11, 11:14 AM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JAMES_AMTRAK

This is my first bike as I'm new to cycling. its the trek madone 5.2 with ultegra. After purchase I upgraded to a fizik saddle new hoods, fizik bar tape, spacers and new cable housing to give it a little more color. I have been riding for a little over 9 weeks now. have logged over 2000k miles and ride with fast group rides 5 days a week that include cat 1,2,3.

cycling is by far the most enjoyable thing i have ever done. as a ex distance runner with pr's of 14:58 for 5k 5000m. this is so much fun. I look to be racing early next year once i build up a massive amount of base mileage and hill and intreval workouts. I am currently looking for a good racing wheelset to purchase for racing road races as im not into the crit thing as much.( i want to do the longer races and not something that seems like a 30 minute sprint)

9 weeks in and I am riding at a 21-28 pace for 65 miles and not getting dropped finally.
^^^ testament to how bad of shape I was actually in when I started riding. I've been riding for 9 months and I still think 35 miles at 19-21 is work.
Old 06-05-11, 11:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
^^^ testament to how bad of shape I was actually in when I started riding. I've been riding for 9 months and I still think 35 miles at 19-21 is work.
Riding solo and depending upon terrain, yeah, it is work.
Old 06-05-11, 12:14 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Riding solo and depending upon terrain, yeah, it is work.
riding solo and yeah, pretty flat terrain. Thanks, I feel better now.
Old 06-05-11, 01:47 PM
HowardF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you got a lot of **** for that, and while some of it (maybe even my comment) was over the top, haven't you seen a road bike before? I mean since you're posting in this thread, I have to assume you've seen dozens. It didn't strike you as odd that your handlebars were upside down? You need to take that bike to your closest bike shop and have them put it together right... even if you think you already did. There are likely adjustments to be made and things to tighten that you didn't notice, and you'll be infinitely happier with the bike once you do this. As for reflectors, you shouldn't be putting any more on... but rather take those ones off the wheel!
I think I deserved all of what I got, I mean, it was a pretty newbie move there. I really didn't see a problem with it. Aesthetically, it seemed fine to me for some reason, maybe some visionary dyslexia there or something. I've definitely seen dozens of bikes and didn't think my bars were upside down, but I did think to myself, man, these gears are positioned terribly! I chalked it up to it being a semi-cheap bike from BD and I never stopped to step back and take a look.

Thanks for the suggestions, even if they might have been over the top (meh, I'm from NY, they weren't terrible). I say it's better to have some feedback than letting me ride to my death on reversed bars! I'll definitely take it to a local bike shop and get it fully adjusted.

(fixed the picture btw, so maybe people can have a good laugh or learn from my mistake)
Old 06-05-11, 02:12 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FWIW, we were all noobs once.

glad you like the bike, keep riding it!
Old 06-05-11, 02:54 PM
HowardF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Vice!

In case anybody was interested, I fixed it ...

I really do like the bike, it was such an upgrade from my previous bike. Now that the bars are correct, it's even better! It's no full carbon or anything, but it'll do. Should I really take off the reflectors on the wheels? I might just leave them on until I feel the need to get new wheels or something.
Old 06-05-11, 03:05 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yes, take the reflectors off. They are only on there because it is a requirement they are shipped to the consumer with them.
Old 06-05-11, 03:31 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
not a bad looking bike. i also vote remove the reflectors.

if you found a proper saddle and pedals it would look even better. if you dont feel ready for clipless, mks makes some sutable "road bike" pedals in the silvan lite. shimano also made some very nice standard pedals in the early 90s that would look right at home on there.

all of that said, clipless it the way to go.
Old 06-05-11, 04:11 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
not a bad looking bike. i also vote remove the reflectors.

if you found a proper saddle and pedals it would look even better. if you dont feel ready for clipless, mks makes some sutable "road bike" pedals in the silvan lite. shimano also made some very nice standard pedals in the early 90s that would look right at home on there.

all of that said, clipless it the way to go.
While I wholeheartedly agree with you, I'm curious to hear your reasoning why clipless is the way to go. It seems a lot of folks cannot explain why it is "the way to go" and I'm sure the new guy would like to hear the reasons why.
Old 06-05-11, 04:16 PM
SpinDr
Token Brit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you ride clipless, Vicelord?
Old 06-05-11, 04:25 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
While I wholeheartedly agree with you, I'm curious to hear your reasoning why clipless is the way to go. It seems a lot of folks cannot explain why it is "the way to go" and I'm sure the new guy would like to hear the reasons why.
i apologize for my negligence. i never gave it a thought that he/she may not know much about clipless systems. i am admittedly bias. i started riding look deltas in my pre teen/teen years (25 years old now).

clipless pros: (in my opinion)
smoother stroke (circles, not pumping)
lower stack height (much better feel)
better bike control out of saddle

clipless cons:
cost
harder to walk (but this is irrelevant. i ride my bike to bike, not to walk)
some say harder to get out of but this is not true (see below)

the same pros can be had with a proper toe clip/strap/traditional cycling shoe but this requires you to reach down and tighten and/or loosen the toe straps every time you want to take your foot out. it is also much harder to find a good non clipless cycling shoe and those that are around run the same as a clipless shoe. i am happy that my parents started me riding with traditional 105 "aero" pedals, cycling shoes, and downtubes. after a year (or so) of road cycling they gave me some of their hand me downs (looks, bar ends, and then brifters)

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 06-05-11 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typing faster than thinking...
Old 06-05-11, 04:38 PM
pbd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc
They really look great on there. Ride it like you stole it.
Thanks! I'm planning on it, as soon as I get it back from the crash. I'm still praying it's ok. I think it is, but I'll still be worried until I have it back from the shop anyway.

Another style question: tires. Stay with black, or go red? The black/red cages and wheels work with the frame, for sure, but I'm afraid of overdoing it on the red. Pic again as a reminder, and because I love posting it.

Old 06-05-11, 04:42 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i think black with a white stripe would look best if you never ride it. because it sounds like you do, i vote black.
Old 06-05-11, 04:43 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpinDr
Do you ride clipless, Vicelord?
absolutely. I prefer it for many reasons including the comfort, handling, power transfer, and feeling of complete control I have over the bicycle.

I was just curious what the other poster thought since he laid out a blanket statement about clipless being the only way to go.

Old 06-05-11, 04:46 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pbd

Another style question: tires. Stay with black, or go red? The black/red cages and wheels work with the frame, for sure, but I'm afraid of overdoing it on the red. Pic again as a reminder, and because I love posting it.
I think people tend to over-do it on color combinations and color matching. I'm always a fan of low key + one wild accent. On your bike, I'd say the wild accent is the red on the frame.
Old 06-05-11, 04:47 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was just curious what the other poster thought since he laid out a blanket statement about clipless being the only way to go.

i didnt say only way to go, i gave several traditional options first

if you didnt see my reply it is above. it appears that we ride clipless for the same reasons.
Old 06-05-11, 04:52 PM
SpinDr
Token Brit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool.

I thought you might have been able to explain the benefits of clipless and save tgb a job. That's all.
Old 06-05-11, 04:54 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
im glad he waited. it was a good reminder. i can generalize and be too brief at times.
Old 06-05-11, 04:59 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
btw, spin doctor, the quote in your sig is one of my favorites of all time.

Damn near shot milk out of my nose when Jeremy Piven said that in The Goods.
Old 06-05-11, 05:02 PM
wanton007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are there ghost pages in this thread? Or is it just me? I'm on page 722 but it says there are 724 pages yet I can't get to them....

Anyways, I posted here before, but now I can't seem to find it...presumably lost somewhere....

Attached Images
DSC_0116.jpg (98.9 KB, 165 views)
DSC_0117.jpg (96.2 KB, 71 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.