Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Average Male Inseam to Height Ratio?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Average Male Inseam to Height Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-07, 11:32 AM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by biker7
Don't know if you have a background in statistics or not. Bottom line is inseam length (independent of height) still dominates for the vast bell curve of cyclists out there. There is a correlation however. Dave Moulton's chart is derived by thousands of fittings and he is a pre-eminent expert on the subject. So is Sheldon Brown. Both subscribe to the 2/3 X's cycling inseam for frame size. I do too. Statistically most (not all) derive their height in their legs. Tall people many times have pedestrian length torsos. This applies to Sheldon Brown and myself and countless others. As a result, bicycles are designed to grow vertically almost 2:1 versus horizontally in frame size. This is not happenstance but based statistically on a normal distribution of height to inseam ratio. The reason that seat tube length or now virtual seat tube length with the advent of sloped top tube geometry bikes predominates is because virtual or actual seat post length dictates head tube length. In the grand scheme it is the ratio of seat post to head tube length that matter for saddle to handlebar drop. The other prevailing factor is top tube length and again, top tube does not increase nearly as must as seat post and head tube length between frame sizes which agrees with the statistical norm that torso size does not change nearly as much as inseam for different size people.
HTH,
George
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Clarify? Also, I am somewhat of a stats guru, by trade.
Old 03-21-07, 12:09 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Height 184.3 cm
Inseam 89.2 cm
Ratios 2.07 or 0.48

I ride a 60 Trek, with about 81 cm seat height and a 120 mm stem
Old 03-21-07, 01:02 PM
tdl123321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might I pose another question.. Are short legs(relative to overall height) a disadvantage. It would seem a relatively long torso would be more weight for the shorter legs to push around.
Old 03-21-07, 01:11 PM
Chad's Colnago
Space for rent!

Bikes: Colnago Dream B-Stay, Trek Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
72 inches tall
33 inch inseam from crotch to floor.
Old 03-21-07, 01:17 PM
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
72.25" tall
32.2" inseam

44.5%
Old 03-21-07, 01:55 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Someone here has to know something about Fibronacci's Golden Number, no? I just know it exists. 1.68 ratio or something like that. Anybody?
Old 03-21-07, 02:40 PM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
Someone here has to know something about Fibronacci's Golden Number, no? I just know it exists. 1.68 ratio or something like that. Anybody?

The golden ratio in the human body
It may be surprising to know that the golden ratio can be found in the human body. Your hands contain three bones in each finger (you may notice this more by bending them). The ratio of the longest bone compared to the middle bone and the ratio of the middle bone compared to the smaller bone are both close to 1.618. (The Fibonnacci ratio.)

Another place you will find the golden ratio is your height. Measure how tall you are and compare this to the distance between your feet and navel. Their ratio is close to 1.618. Your face may also contain the golden ratio. What is the ratio of the width of your mouth compared to the width of the bottom of your nose?
Some people think that the closer certain ratios in your body are to the golden ratio, the more attractive you appear.

However, the golder ratio addresses the "aesthetic" imperative - it would be a stretch to say a person with a golden ratio proportion is stronger than another without said proportion.
Old 03-21-07, 02:44 PM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdl123321
Might I pose another question.. Are short legs(relative to overall height) a disadvantage. It would seem a relatively long torso would be more weight for the shorter legs to push around.

This is the essence of my original question. However, no one knows what the average male inseam-to-height ratio is, so relative comparisons are meaningless at this point.
Old 03-21-07, 02:54 PM
Proximo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
height: 71"
riding inseam: 33"

46.5%
Old 03-21-07, 03:17 PM
biker7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Clarify? Also, I am somewhat of a stats guru, by trade.
I just wanted to confirm you are clueless as many statisticians are...lol. You can crunch indices and distribution skewness all you want, but it always comes down to the application of the relationships that matter which most statisticians can't fathom. And hence your question. Your statement above without addressing the substance of my response confirms it.
George

Last edited by biker7; 03-21-07 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-21-07, 03:22 PM
tdl123321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'10" and where a 30 inch length jean size. I have also wondered if there was a frame designed for short leg cyclist like ourselves. Looks like the answer isn't going to come in this thread though.
Old 03-21-07, 03:22 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
This is the essence of my original question. However, no one knows what the average male inseam-to-height ratio is, so relative comparisons are meaningless at this point.
...and therefore so is your question.
George
Old 03-21-07, 04:52 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by tdl123321
I am 5'10" and where a 30 inch length jean size. I have also wondered if there was a frame designed for short leg cyclist like ourselves. Looks like the answer isn't going to come in this thread though.

FWIW, jean inseam and your inseam are two different things.
Old 03-21-07, 05:18 PM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just wanted to confirm you are clueless as many statisticians are...lol. You can crunch indices and distribution skewness all you want, but it always comes down to the application of the relationships that matter which most statisticians can't fathom. And hence your question. Your statement above without addressing the substance of my response confirms it.
George

I'm trying to address you response but I have no idea what you were tying to say. Don't take it as slander, you just were not clear to me.

You state: "inseam length (independent of height) still dominates for the vast bell curve of cyclists out there." Bell curve of what and how does inseam length dominate?
Old 03-21-07, 05:39 PM
bluedaisy
I resemble that remark!

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Flyte SRS-2, Raleigh R-600, Gary Fisher Utopia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've spent way too much time thinking about how useless and annoying this mental ************ exercise is. Worse than carbon v. steel, spoke counts and saddle preferences combined. I compute a 99.9997% probability that the only way you'll know it fits is if you ride it!

Time to bring in the clowns, dial it up to 400 watts and get the hell outta here :

Last edited by bluedaisy; 03-21-07 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-21-07, 06:03 PM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^ Post Of The Year!!!!!!
Old 03-22-07, 03:36 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
I'm trying to address you response but I have no idea what you were tying to say. Don't take it as slander, you just were not clear to me.

You state: "inseam length (independent of height) still dominates for the vast bell curve of cyclists out there." Bell curve of what and how does inseam length dominate?
Sorry but the tone of your entire thread was troll like...lol.
I really can't help you if you don't understand my initial response. Don't feel alone, many don't understand bicycle fit as it takes quite a bit of study. Your question is simply esoteric or not particularly relevant to bicycle fit, that's all. Studying the relationship of any two traits of human anatomy to surmise a correlation to fit is simplistic. Not unlike the belief that top tube length is most important or virtual seat post dominates when it comes to fit. These are conventions of convenience. They all matter as fit is a puzzle with many relationships between anatomy and bicycle geometry…some competing. A better study for example would be the ratio of thorax height to cycling inseam as neck and head height are pretty irrelevant. Or study foot length to saddle height as they clearly relate...or femur length to KOPS relative to inseam and CG on the bicycle for optimal 55/45 weight distribution for the best fit. If you take a deep enough dive, you will find that studies that include two variables are meaningless.

I will leave you with a simple example.
Cigarette smoking has been deemed to be beneficial. Under times of high stress, studies have proved that ingesting the amount of Nicotine in a single cigarette has a calming affect on a vast majority of the population. The study concludes therefore that everybody should light up when having a difficult day.
As a sidebar, which wasn't part of the study...
It was determined later in a separate study that long term cigarette smoking will promote premature death.
George

Last edited by biker7; 03-22-07 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-22-07, 08:46 AM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
75" height, 36" cycling inseam. 48%.
Old 03-22-07, 09:23 AM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really can't help you if you don't understand my initial response. Don't feel alone, many don't understand bicycle fit as it takes quite a bit of study. Your question is simply esoteric or not particularly relevant to bicycle fit, that's all. Studying the relationship of any two traits of human anatomy to surmise a correlation to fit is simplistic. Not unlike the belief that top tube length is most important or virtual seat post dominates when it comes to fit. These are conventions of convenience. They all matter as fit is a puzzle with many relationships between anatomy and bicycle geometry…some competing. A better study for example would be the ratio of thorax height to cycling inseam as neck and head height are pretty irrelevant. Or study foot length to saddle height as they clearly relate...or femur length to KOPS relative to inseam and CG on the bicycle for optimal 55/45 weight distribution for the best fit. If you take a deep enough dive, you will find that studies that include two variables are meaningless.

With all due respect, inseam-to-height ratio is not that far-fetched of a metric to consider in determining the overall shape of a rider's body. I will concede however that inseam-to-thorax height might be a better metric (as it discounts the length of the neck and head). Ultimately, both are proxy variables in determining the overall "leginess" of a rider.

Per the Cannondale website:
Your inseam to height ratio, the length of your arms, the size of hands, the size of your torso etc. all factor into determining the correct fit of a bike. As a result, Cannondale highly suggests that you not rely on fit charts, but instead seek professional guidance and recommendations from an experienced bicycle shop.
Old 03-22-07, 11:08 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
With all due respect, inseam-to-height ratio is not that far-fetched of a metric to consider in determining the overall shape of a rider's body. I will concede however that inseam-to-thorax height might be a better metric (as it discounts the length of the neck and head). Ultimately, both are proxy variables in determining the overall "leginess" of a rider.

Per the Cannondale website:
Your inseam to height ratio, the length of your arms, the size of hands, the size of your torso etc. all factor into determining the correct fit of a bike. As a result, Cannondale highly suggests that you not rely on fit charts, but instead seek professional guidance and recommendations from an experienced bicycle shop.
To my point, if you noticed, inseam to height ratio is only one metric in an array of variables mentioned by Cannondale required to appropriately size a bicycle to a rider's body. This metric is no more or less significant then other factors. There are about 10 salient variables that say a fit calculator algorithm contains to crunch a ball park fit. You can take the quotient of whatever you want say, leg to arm length ratio if you want but it is only esoteric data and nothing more. Cannondale used that term to distinguish where a rider derive's his or her height.
George
Old 03-22-07, 11:27 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, never realized how long my torso is.
Overall: 73"
Inseam: 31"

42%

No wonder why I like compact geometry.
Old 11-05-21, 09:48 PM
THEKXIL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN
Does anyone know what the average male inseam-to-height ratio is?
Do manufactures set geometry with this proportion in mind?

My measurements:

70" (177.8cm) Height
32.25" (82cm) Inseam
-------------
46.1% Inseam to Heigh Ratio

I want to know - relative to the male norm for my height - is this short legged or long legged?

Based on the answer to above, which company's geometry would suit me? (Example: I know Lemond is good for relative short legged riders, but I'm not sure what that is, quantifiably.)
177cm tall
96.5cm inseam
55%
Old 11-06-21, 01:23 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I am guessing a bit here but am fairly sure I am correct in saying that taller people have longer legs than shorter people.
i.e the average inseam/height ratio of people that are 5'8" would be less than it is for people that are 6'4".
So a meaningful "average" would need to account for height.
Old 11-06-21, 04:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by THEKXIL
177cm tall
96.5cm inseam
55%
Zombie thread alert!
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-06-21, 07:37 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Zombie thread alert!
Indeed! Anyway, if you approximate body height at 7.5 heads and leg length at 3.5 heads, you would expect the distribution to center around 46% which I think is a reasonable estimate. If it were a couple percent lower, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I’m at about 49% and toward the long leg end of the distribution.

Otto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.