Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CO2 vs hand pump

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

CO2 vs hand pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 05:43 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You know those are whippits, right?
Not in the area I ride through, unless well to do middle class pensioners started hitting laughing gas these days. Also, many of the containers are threaded and look like CO2 ones. Yes, it's probably a mix, but whereas I don't expect much from the passing by teenagers, the cyclists should know better.
Old 08-16-21, 06:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You know those are whippits, right?
The cartridges are blue?
Old 08-16-21, 06:42 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6
I carry both. Co2 is quick and convenient but the cartridges get heavy quick when you start adding them to your jersey pocket so I carry a couple cartridges and a mini pump. It comes in handy if someone else needs some air along the ride as well.
They make these things called saddle packs. You can carry quite a bit of stuff underneath your bum and never realize that junk is below your trunk. Until you have a flat.

I run tubeless now but still carry a patch kit, extra tube, tire levers in my saddle bag. Still have room for my car key.

I have a small pump mounted on the downtube.

Where I ride, one can't be too careful so I am prepared for dire consequences.

Some riders even have frame pumps but let's not get ridiculous.

I have tried CO2 and it works but regular ol' pump works for me.
Old 08-16-21, 07:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I've never seen a roadie deliberately discard a spent CO2 cartridge. I seldom see discarded gel wrappers either, though there are times that those are dropped by accident.

Cyclists aren't perfect, but I'd venture to say that on the whole they litter less than pedestrians or motorists. Mostly it's *us* dodging the trash that *they* leave for us.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-16-21, 08:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Cyclists aren't perfect, but I'd venture to say that on the whole they litter less than pedestrians or motorists. Mostly it's *us* dodging the trash that *they* leave for us.
I do see litter on paths used by casual walkers and riders. When you get father from the parking lots there's a lot less trash. That's because most serious people take their trash with them.

Last summer I left a case of water bottle on a path with a sign "Thirsty? Then take one." I came back the next day and not only were there none left, there were no empties and even the plastic packaging was gone.

Never seen a empty CO2 or tube left on the side of the road or path. Though I do see a lot of USB cables on the side of the road.
Old 08-16-21, 08:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by genejockey
I went through a couple years of flatting so infrequently that I could not remember from flat to flat how to use my CO2 inflator. Mess up with one of those, and you end up with one or more empty cartridges AND a flat tire. Ask me how I know.
I'm usually one of the ones in a group ride who steps in and helps to change other people's flats. It goes faster with multiple hands. And among other things, I use my CO2 to help out. So I use it pretty frequently. Works like charm, every time.

For whatever reason, there's a minority of folks who show up to these group rides wholly unprepared. They just trust that the rest of us will have a tube and a cartridge and aa tire iron and.... These are in many cases friends of mine, and I try not to judge, but I can't imagine being that person.

People offer to pay me back for the tubes and cartridges that I donate to the cause of keeping us rolling. I never accept. Compared to the amount of money I spend on my cycling habit, it's in the noise. (But don't get me wrong - I'm not the only one on the giving side. There are others playing the same role.)
Old 08-16-21, 10:00 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 1seans
I balk a the unnecessary wastefulness of co2 (cartridges and manufacturing). Sure, filling a tire with co2 cartridge is feels cool and fast but It's not like pumping up a tire is hard or takes too long (3 min?). Sustainability really should be a priority for all of us. My Lezyne mini pump is going strong after years of flats in all situations. I don't leave home without it. Agree about the flexible hose.
Opinions being opinions, we aren't talking about something like plastic grocery bags here. Cyclists use a relatively tiny number of cartridges, which are typically filled with byproduct gas from power generation that is going to exist for the foreseeable future with or without demand for CO2 cartridges, and the resulting "waste" is one of the most widely, easily, and effectively recycled materials around. In the larger scheme of things and moving towards a healthier planet, the biggest benefit of not using CO2 to fix flats for environmental reasons is probably...being able to say that you don't use CO2 cartridges for environmental reasons. If you want that postage stamp of moral high ground, then by all means
Old 08-17-21, 06:47 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
They make these things called saddle packs. You can carry quite a bit of stuff underneath your bum and never realize that junk is below your trunk. Until you have a flat.
Yeah...no. I have multiple bikes and don't like having to swap stuff back and forth. My little tool pack slips nicely in to my pocket and I don't notice it all while riding
Old 08-17-21, 08:35 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by BHG6
Yeah...no. I have multiple bikes and don't like having to swap stuff back and forth. My little tool pack slips nicely in to my pocket and I don't notice it all while riding
Sure, you do you. But one can have multiple saddle packs. Also, some saddle packs, such as the Topeak "Wedge" line, swaps from saddle to saddle in about 10 seconds.
Old 08-17-21, 08:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
As for the CO2, my personal opinion is that they should be banned or the riders should be legally obliged to return spent cartridges in order to get new ones (or fined a really hefty sum if they fail to do so).
You know they are steel don't you. Once they are punctured and the CO2 expended they no longer need hazmat handling. I just throw my spent cartridge in the recycling bin my city supplies me with.

Sometimes I crush them in my bench vise just so they'll see that it is spent.
Old 08-17-21, 10:31 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You know they are steel don't you. Once they are punctured and the CO2 expended they no longer need hazmat handling. I just throw my spent cartridge in the recycling bin my city supplies me with.

Sometimes I crush them in my bench vise just so they'll see that it is spent.

He doesn't like them adding to the trash piling up on the side of the road.

I don't like seeing trash but I don't think I've ever seen a spent CO2 cartridge on the side of the road.
Old 08-17-21, 12:33 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Sure, you do you. But one can have multiple saddle packs. Also, some saddle packs, such as the Topeak "Wedge" line, swaps from saddle to saddle in about 10 seconds.
I do?
Old 08-17-21, 12:52 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
Opinions being opinions, we aren't talking about something like plastic grocery bags here. Cyclists use a relatively tiny number of cartridges, which are typically filled with byproduct gas from power generation that is going to exist for the foreseeable future with or without demand for CO2 cartridges, and the resulting "waste" is one of the most widely, easily, and effectively recycled materials around. In the larger scheme of things and moving towards a healthier planet, the biggest benefit of not using CO2 to fix flats for environmental reasons is probably...being able to say that you don't use CO2 cartridges for environmental reasons. If you want that postage stamp of moral high ground, then by all means
Well, sure thing, steel will rust eventually and disappear, it's not the kind of pollutant that's going to stay there for millennia. But to produce each tonne of steel causes emissions of nearly 2 tonnes of CO2 and it corresponds to 5% of emissions globally. We won't stop producing raw materials, but we can work towards reducing the carbon footprint of the industry and it starts with recycling raw materials. What I'm saying is that many people simply don't care. I'd say it's not necessarily a high moral ground, but at this point it's more about the survival of civilisation. Our civilisation is extremely wasteful as it is. So in my opinion everyone should consider whether they really need to use CO2 cartridges or if they could make do with a small pump instead. I guess I started on a wrong foot by saying CO2 cartridges should be banned. But what I mean is that we should be encouraging people to reuse the resources whenever they can. Then again, not that big of a deal, the world will keep on spinning, whether shape humanity gets itself into. Sucks to be a kid right now, because boy, they are going to get hit real hard.
Anyhow, now I feel like the thread got another dimension the OP probably didn't expect to come up So I'm terribly sorry if I highjacked it.

Last edited by VintageSteelEU; 08-17-21 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 08-17-21, 01:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Yeah be those of us using CO2 are keeping a large amount of CO2 trapped and away from the environment. Also, scrap steel like aluminum is very recyclable. Those mini pumps will wear out and have to be replaced more often than my CO2 inflator. Many of them, the pumps especially are made with plastics and stuff that is less likely to be re-cycled because the cost of virgin plastics are lower than the cost of re-cycling plastics.
Old 08-17-21, 01:19 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
He doesn't like them adding to the trash piling up on the side of the road.

I don't like seeing trash but I don't think I've ever seen a spent CO2 cartridge on the side of the road.
I noted earlier in this thread that recyclers will take them at the going rate of scrap steel about $0.1/lbs.
An empty 16g cart is about 45g. 10 make a pound.
So they are worth about a penny each as scrap.
I don't see them either and assume scrappers collect any they find.
I take them home and put in my recycle bin.
Old 08-17-21, 08:00 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Pre-pump with a mini pump.
Then fill to max capacity with C02 cartridge.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-18-21, 08:55 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I use a pump.
My reasoning is as follows:
90% because I'm dumb, and I'd mess up CO2 and then be stuck.
5% because I don't want to carry both.
5% because it reduces waste.
Old 08-18-21, 12:12 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I’m mostly a road rider. I carry threaded co2 cartridges/inflators in my road kit. Squeezing 80+ psi into tire with a small hand pump isn’t fun. that said, i do carry a very small hand pump on my fatties. Squeezing in 10 psi with a hand pump is much easier than 80+ psi. So, short answer is “both” but not necessarily at the same time.
Old 08-18-21, 04:46 PM
mwdilday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe CO2 will defuse thru the tube and will go flat in a day or so. I only use it if I have to and inflate with air ASAP.
Old 08-18-21, 05:00 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
If I inflate 25c with CO2 on the way to work 7am there is always more than enough pressure to ride home at 6pm - even on the hottest of days. By the next morning it needs real air, so I fully drain it and replace with the good stuff.
Old 08-26-21, 08:38 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I carry a pump. Matches my stealth black Domane. I carry on CO2 in the Domane storage burrito but I’ve blown tires with one before. So will only use it if I need a quick fill. I do need to practice using a CO2 cartridge.

I like the Lezyne pump and changed the fill hose to the one with the analog gauge. There is a version with a digital gauge I’m eyeing and wonder how well it works.