Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack for a Book Bag?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 11:47 AM
Hasty
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a school book bag. My road bike has eyelets and braze-ons. Would bungee cords work? I never used a rack before.

Last edited by Hasty; 10-17-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-17-10, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
May fall off if you don't know how to use your bungee cords, and bungees come off
and get stuck in the spokes.. a cause of crashes ..

I'd recommend a secure pannier on the side of the rack that can function like a backpack, off the bike..
Old 10-17-10, 01:28 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a nice and sold backpack =) I have one from outdoor products and have been using it daily for the past year and it is holding up great
Old 10-17-10, 01:44 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any rack will do.

I carried my back on my rack with a basket that sat on top, threw the backpack in the basket and used a cargo bungee net thingy to keep the backpack in the basket. Worked well.
Old 10-17-10, 03:31 PM
Hasty
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm going to buy a pannier-backpack as my current backpack has holes in it and my paper gets wet in the rain. One of zipper handles is broken but that isn't a problem. My frame is 53cm. I hope my feet/legs don't get in the way. I have a road bike not touring. I go fast and my commute is bumpy in some parts. I won't be using a heavy load.

I was thinking about this rack, Axiom Streamliner DLX. I just wonder about heel clearance.
https://www.axiomgear.com/products/ge...reamliner-dlx/

My heel goes slightly past the caliper but no more than the brake pad. Rack is 37.5cm I think. Pannier is 30cm wide. Is sizing OK?

Last edited by Hasty; 10-17-10 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 10-18-10, 01:20 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I bungee my backpack to the rack and have not had a problem. I use 2 bungee's in a crisscross pattern. The Rack I have is the Axiom Odyssee.

Looking at the axiom website I would look at the streamliner road. It says it allows for more heel clearance. On the bottom they also sell luggage straps that should work.

If you are worried about rain, I cover my backpack in plastic garbage bags. You can also purchase rain covers for backpacks as well.

Panniers carry the load lower on the bike. This helps with stability. Also Panniers can give the illusion of making you look wider than you are making cars give you a wider clearance.
Old 10-18-10, 02:40 PM
rockadayjohnny

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic (ret. 2010), Jamis Coda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
bungees come off and get stuck in the spokes.. a cause of crashes ..
+1
-1 bungee, -1 rack. Luckily i was chugging uphill and stayed upright.

I secure my bookbag to the seat with two carabiners and stabilize it with a cargo net.
Old 10-18-10, 06:44 PM
Hasty
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
Looking at the axiom website I would look at the streamliner road. It says it allows for more heel clearance.
I did look at that one. I like how it weighs less and has more heel clearance and sits further in the rear. Just I don't like how it connects at that one spot by the brake caliper. Using two braze-on mounts on each side seems more secure. I mean there's going to be one pannier on one side and there's just that one attachment by the caliper. And reviews don't seem as good for the road ones.

If you are worried about rain, I cover my backpack in plastic garbage bags. You can also purchase rain covers for backpacks as well.
My back sweats big time for long distances for 40-50 degrees outside. Sometimes it's the only thing sweating. My backpack needs serious replacement. It has a gigantic hole in it and several tiny ones.

Panniers carry the load lower on the bike. This helps with stability. Also Panniers can give the illusion of making you look wider than you are making cars give you a wider clearance.
My bright taillight has that covered already. They don't come near me because it's pointed a tad up and left in their faces.