Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Guard

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 07:34 AM
stunc88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Guard

Hi all, new to the forum, will mainly be asking for advise!
I have recently taken out the larger and smaller chain ring from the front of my bike for single speed (still have rear derailleur). Since doing that my chain has fallen off a couple of times, very nearly nut crackers. I am looking to buy an outer chain guard but the one I want is constantly out of stock on all sites I look at, the Blackspire ring god C4 36T.
My chain ring is a 34T. All the online shops have a 40T, my question is will that bit too big? The reason I'm looking to buy that specific one is that they come with the bolts required, and since removing the outer ring I had to shave off my original bolts for them to fit just the one chain ring correctly and I'm not sure what length bolts I would need.
Apologies for the essay! Any help is very much appreciated. I'm at a lost end at the mo. Thanks, Stuart.
Old 10-02-11, 07:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
FYI, there are single chainring bolts available so you don't have to cut down the originals. If you want to mount an outside chainguard, any set of bolts intended for a double crank should work and any LBS will have them.

A lot of single chainring riders leave the front derailleur installed and center it over the one ring with the limit screws so it acts as a chainguard. Also, all reasonably modern chainrings on double or triple cranks have shaped and ramped teeth to assist shifting and these are detrimental to a single chainring application. An older "flat" chainring or a Surly stainless steel chainring ( https://surlybikes.com/parts/stainless_steel_chainrings) will not have that style teeth and will be far less likely spill the chain.