Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I don't want an adventure bike. Options?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

I don't want an adventure bike. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 10:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
That Warbird is just ordinary CX geometry. In the 60cm, it isn't 5mm off of my 61cm KHS CX frame in any single dimension, and even has the same headtube and seattube angles. There's absolutely nothing about it that will have you rocketing down roads like you never did before-- you'll just be more comfortable, because it will have bigger tires at lower pressures. You won't need any kind of knob on a tire to run on groomed gravel like that-- I run on similar (and looser) surfaces on dime-store Paselas.

For me, the press-fit BB is enough for a dealbreaker-- there's absolutely no need for press fit if they're just gonna stick a Hollowtech crank in it.
Old 02-04-17, 03:23 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Domane SL/SLR or Roubaix. Nothing else will come close for the type of bike you want. There are also other options like Focus Paralane.
Old 02-04-17, 06:02 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That Warbird is just ordinary CX geometry. In the 60cm, it isn't 5mm off of my 61cm KHS CX frame in any single dimension, and even has the same headtube and seattube angles. There's absolutely nothing about it that will have you rocketing down roads like you never did before-- you'll just be more comfortable, because it will have bigger tires at lower pressures. You won't need any kind of knob on a tire to run on groomed gravel like that-- I run on similar (and looser) surfaces on dime-store Paselas.

For me, the press-fit BB is enough for a dealbreaker-- there's absolutely no need for press fit if they're just gonna stick a Hollowtech crank in it.
Couldn't agree more. Hate those damn BBs..
Old 02-04-17, 06:04 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
OK, that Davinci is on my list for sure.

Now I'm confused. What makes a bike "fast and aggressive" to you?

For me, 435mm chainstays and a 1040mm wheelbase with 35mm tires (as w/the Devinci) would not be in that category. I've found wheels and tires make the biggest difference in speed both in terms of distance covered and acceleration in relation to other riders. Frame geometry matters less but still important, you'll be sluggin' with cs/wb that long. I recommend chainstays 420mm and under, wheelbase between 990-1010 (M frame) and a comfortable saddle/bar drop with good 35mm tires - very fast and comfortable.

I will say, this ad copy from the Devinci site is one of the top 5 funniest things I've ever seen:
Dual Core Fusion tech fuses two cores for a trifecta of speed, stability and intuitive response.
DUAL CORE FUSION

TWO CORES FOR A TRIFECTA

Old 02-04-17, 06:43 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
FYI - I ride a Felt cyclocross bike and it's plenty fast and lot cheaper than the 3T. Felt was the frame of choice the Panaracer Gravel team last year. Nice thing about Felt, the frame is the same no matter what price point you are looking in.
Ok, Felt sold and now Dave Koesel moved to 3T

Dave Koesel to head up new 3T operation in United States | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Felt Profile: Dave Koesel ? Product Manager & Roadie | Felt Bicycles | Blog
Old 02-04-17, 08:52 AM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am going to throw a Fuji Tread recommendation. I did a gravel ride this past November and one of the other guys had one and had mostly good things to say about it. It looked like a decent bike for the coin. I know right now Performance has them on sale for $575-$600 depending on what model you get:

Performance Bike - Gravel Road Bikes - Category

Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | CROSS TERRAIN | TREAD 1.5 DISC

My eyes popped out when I saw the price for the 3t frames..

Last edited by 09box; 02-04-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 09:05 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Price is right on the Raleigh Roker Comp. $2639 at Backcountry/Competitive.

-Tim-

corp.raleigh has an online sale and some good deals. The 2017 Roker Comp with Sram hydro-brakes is $1750. Only the 52, 54 & 56 frame sizes remain. Look under the clearance models and the RXC with Shimano hydro-brakes is available for $1650, this frameset will fit 700x38 tire, according to user reviews. The RXC is a race ready Cyclocross model with thru-axles, it's about 18 lbs.

The sale has been going on for a few months. Try CYCLE4PERK code but it may have expired.

Joining is simple:
-Visit https://corp.raleighusa.com
-Enter Corporate Code - CYCLE4PERK

Join now to take advantage of Raleigh's full line of bikes this holiday season.
Save up to 40% on current models
Up to 50% off Clearance Category models (good while supplies last)
Free Shipping
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-04-17 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 10:07 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
corp.raleigh has an online sale and some good deals. The 2017 Roker Comp with Sram hydro-brakes is $1750. Only the 52, 54 & 56 frame sizes remain. Look under the clearance models and the RXC with Shimano hydro-brakes is available for $1650.

The sale has been going on for a few months. Try CYCLE4PERK code but it may have expired.

Joining is simple:
-Visit https://corp.raleighusa.com
-Enter Corporate Code - CYCLE4PERK

Join now to take advantage of Raleigh's full line of bikes this holiday season.
Save up to 40% on current models
Up to 50% off Clearance Category models (good while supplies last)
Free Shipping
I tried signing up with the CYCLE4PERK code yesterday (just for fun) and was told the code was invalid/no longer valid. Anyone else manage to get it to work recently?
Old 02-04-17, 10:58 AM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked into the new Niner RLT 9 RDO? The geometry is slightly more aggressive than their metal bikes.(I've got a aluminum RLT and its geometry is aggressive enough for fast/high performance riding).
Old 02-04-17, 10:59 AM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have said you should probably look more at the CX line of bikes to fit your needs. I ride a Boone and it is plenty capable on both the road and off. If your size is available there are some really good deals on the Niner BSB right now. A couple of other options are the are the Niner RLT RDO, has more aggressive geometry than the aluminum version, Specialized Crux, Trek Boone, Felt FX. The Warbird is a great bike but it may be a little more relaxed than what you say you want. Good luck in your search!
Old 02-04-17, 12:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10995 Post(s)
Liked 7,519 Times in 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
I tried signing up with the CYCLE4PERK code yesterday (just for fun) and was told the code was invalid/no longer valid. Anyone else manage to get it to work recently?
Just used it today- my brother in law signed up to look.
Old 02-04-17, 01:26 PM
shoota 

Make sure you're on corp.raleighusa.com and not the customer login page. Two separate things.
Old 02-04-17, 01:35 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Make sure you're on corp.raleighusa.com and not the customer login page. Two separate things.
Weird. Definitely went to the Corp site, definitely entered the CYCLE4PERK code...Still getting "The Corporate Code you entered is invalid". The only reasonable explanation is the local Raleigh dealer has hacked my computer in an effort to gain a sale at full MSRP
Old 02-04-17, 01:37 PM
shoota 

Weird. Definitely went to the Corp site, definitely entered the CYCLE4PERK code...Still getting "The Corporate Code you entered is invalid". The only reasonable explanation is the local Raleigh dealer has hacked my computer in an effort to gain a sale at full MSRP
hmm weird
Old 02-04-17, 01:52 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
My brother just bought a 2017 Fuji Tread 1.5. The 2017 version went "down" from Sora to Claris. He wanted a 2016 but they didn't have any left in his size.

Fuji Tread 1.5 Disc Sport Hybrid Bike - 2017

That's quite a step down from a Warbird.
Old 02-04-17, 05:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I don't know. That's why I'm asking here. I'm all ears.
Old 02-04-17, 05:50 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgscott
I am nearly the same height and weight. I can do that road in the photo easily on my 35mm tires. You should have no problem at all.

I have a bike that is rather similar in design and gearing to the bike you linked. The main differences are that mine is Di2 and a (custom) steel frame. I don't feel like it is a compromise on-road. I did find having two wheelsets is helpful.
You should be able to do that road on 23s, but yeah, 35mm would be plenty wide for the likes of that. @TimothyH, check this out: A cyclocross race bike, available with Ultegra Di2, comes with 33mm tires: Giant TCX Advanced Pro 1
That's their top-of-the line cross bike. Their other performance-grade cross bikes come with SRAM 1x, and Shimano 105 on the aluminium model.
Old 02-04-17, 06:00 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota
Does it have the wow factor to go with that price tag?
I'll say! Funny thing, though, the pricier LTD edition is too stealth in my book, while the (relatively) cheaper TEAM edition is WHITE HOT.
Old 02-04-17, 07:48 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Maybe this would be along the lines of what you're looking for. The SOMA Fog Cutter.

"The Fog Cutter is an endurance road/road sport design. We designed it to fit fatter tires, but the frame angles are more road bike than CX or gravel bike."

Old 02-04-17, 09:48 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
FYI - I ride a Felt cyclocross bike and it's plenty fast and lot cheaper than the 3T. Felt was the frame of choice the Panaracer Gravel team last year. Nice thing about Felt, the frame is the same no matter what price point you are looking in.
I remembered reading about a fellow BF 50+ rider's new bike and was a little envious...

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ture-bike.html

These VR series bikes are categorized under endurance road bikes on their website. DougG mentioned it would take 35c tires easily though. So here is a road bike that can take wider tires. This bike would be one my short list...
Old 02-05-17, 08:06 AM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing here. Was trying to help a friend out who is looking for a bike and tried a couple different codes, using the corp site, and no code is valid that I have tried...
Old 02-05-17, 11:48 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What you want is a CX racing bike. Giant TCX, Cannondale SuperX or CAADX, Trek Boone, etc. are light and nimble, and perfectly at home on pavement and groomed gravel. They probably won't fit anything bigger than a 35mm tire (actual), but that should be plenty for the kinds of gravel you're talking about. Since 1x is the go-to configuration for CX bikes, you may want to consider having your shop upgrade to a compact double to tighten up the spacing for fast group rides on the road. Give one a test ride and I think you'll quickly feel the difference between CX-racing and gravel geometry.
Old 02-05-17, 12:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot

For me, 435mm chainstays and a 1040mm wheelbase with 35mm tires (as w/the Devinci) would not be in that category. I've found wheels and tires make the biggest difference in speed both in terms of distance covered and acceleration in relation to other riders. Frame geometry matters less but still important, you'll be sluggin' with cs/wb that long. I recommend chainstays 420mm and under, wheelbase between 990-1010 (M frame) and a comfortable saddle/bar drop with good 35mm tires - very fast and comfortable.
@Spoonrobot

Can you suggest a gravel bike with the geometry you recommend? Not trying to challenge but sincerely asking and trying to learn.

I'm less worried about wheels and tires since these can be upgraded as long as there is enough clearance.

-Tim-
Old 02-05-17, 02:18 PM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Maybe this would be along the lines of what you're looking for. The SOMA Fog Cutter.

"The Fog Cutter is an endurance road/road sport design. We designed it to fit fatter tires, but the frame angles are more road bike than CX or gravel bike."

Talk about "Uncut"!!!

Man I feel you with this post. I'm in the same boat. The gravel thing sure seems like loads of fun but I can't see gravel riding getting anymore that 10-20% of my riding. The thing I am struggling with is that I expect you are going down at a much higher rate than on the road (thanks goodness). And I really don't want to think about my carbon frame hitting the rocks and gravel! Several in my local bike club ride the Raleigh Roker and do just fine in our club rides. However it seems that most of the bikes that are true road bikes (road>>>>gravel) will only accommodate tires that I have been told are somewhat inadequate for softer gravel. Hell of a dilemma. But love this thread and thanks to you guys for giving your opinions.
Old 02-05-17, 02:23 PM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And just one more note: Today my club hosted our annual Super Bowl ride. As per usual with had 4 different road paces: 13-15, 15-17, 17-19 and 20+. For the first time there was a 40 mile gravel grinder option! I think 9 people showed up. 5 miles of city roads to get to the gravel, 30 miles of gravel/dirt and 5 miles home. Of the 9, I think there were 5 Niner RLT Steel bikes. They all (all 9) gave the RLT rave reviews. I will throw that out there.

Of course I have only seen one of those guys on our regular road rides and he actually rides in the 17-19 group on that Niner with his road tire set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.