Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SuperiorLite Bikes - The Story

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 10:09 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just before Christmas this past year, I was browsing the web in various places for a sweet deal on some new wheels. (Not that I was unhappy with my Fuzion F1's that are no longer produced) I was simply 'Browsing'. Anyways, to make a long prelude to the actual story shorter, I found a set of wheels called 'SuperiorLite Race' for around the 200 mark shipped.

With aero bladed spokes threaded to some kinlin 27mm alloy rims, hand built with some red hubs and nipples and weighing in at 1550grams for the pair, I was EXTREMELY excited for their arrival.

While waiting (which was only 4 days during Christmas news years - not bad) I looked up the wheelmakers website. Needless to say, for incredible product they produced, their website (at the time) was not a shining portrayal. So I e-mailed the company and explained, "I really loved their wheels (which by now I have received) however, if I would have seen your website I would have never bought them." I then continued to explain that I do this type of work and if they ever need any help, to feel free to ask.

To my surprise, the following day, I get a phone call from the owner of the company. His name is Tom, and an extremely nice and motivated guy who come to find out makes a hell of a bike, wheel, whatever. He was genuinely interested in finding out what I have to say about the website and how to improve it.

That night, I created a more appropriate business design template, (keep in mind I do this for a living) and presented him with it the following day. We struck up a deal and more importantly the start of a fantastic new friendship in the right kind of industry - BICYCLES.

Close to 2 months have gone by and the new website has been launched (with obvious needs for more and better pictures) but as a client, person, rider and business man - him and his company (SuperiorLite Bikes) are seemingly making all of the right moves.

Please let me know what you think of the site so far, keep in mind it is brand new so there is MUCH to come, but it is 10 fold better than what it was. Also, Everything SuperiorLite makes has been astonishing from what I have seen. (we live within 3 hours of each other)

https://www.superiorlitebikes.com

Last edited by X-LinkedRider; 03-04-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 12:54 PM
Snapperhead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice site. My .02.

1. Can't stand splash screens, just take me too the site.
2. If a menu item doesn't go anywhere I would remove it for now.
Old 03-04-11, 12:59 PM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All I have to add is - you are correct about the old site. When somebody mentioned them a while back I looked and would have never bought based on the old website.
Old 03-04-11, 01:16 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Get rid of the "welcome" page
2. For the love of all that is non-Fred, ditch that hideous flash animation.

Looking good otherwise.
Old 03-04-11, 01:23 PM
renton
Come on you Spurs!

Bikes: Trek 2.1, BMC Roadracer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks good minus the animation and the splash screen.
Old 03-04-11, 01:25 PM
fsc

Bikes: only have one at the moment :( But at least its a CrossCheck so its multipurpose and STEEL.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice site, but as others said, ditch the "Welcome to our site! now click the link to actually go to the site!" deal.

The pictures are horribly weak sauce, but you know that.

If it were my site I would have the links to the bikes on one side or the other instead of a dropdown menu. Those bother me. But I am not all that good with computers anyway.

If we can buy online, get that set up ASAP. Also, there was a study from harvard (I think harvard... one of those boston Whig schools anyway) that showed that selling direct to consumer actually INCREASES local shop sales (for instance patagucci sales went up at local shops when they began site to home sales...).

But thats just one man's opinion.

Oh, and I block flash animation anyway since I find it so damned annoying. I would use it except for vids, demo's etc.
Old 03-04-11, 01:28 PM
fsc

Bikes: only have one at the moment :( But at least its a CrossCheck so its multipurpose and STEEL.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, get the dimensions/specs up for those bikes asap. Thats the first thing people with odd sizes look for (I am 6'3" with only a 34" cycling inseam)
Old 03-04-11, 01:53 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
am i missing something - where are the $200 kinlin based wheels?
Old 03-04-11, 02:07 PM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
it looks decent but go for a stylish, basic site similar to https://www.francobicycles.com/ (just my opinion)
Old 03-04-11, 02:16 PM
FogVilleLad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clicked onto the first post-splash page. Not good. There's one very long paragraph which tries to tell too much of a story. That's tough slugging.

Try presenting that info via a series of points: Superior Design (that's the frame), Superior Manufacturing (that's the CNC process), etc.
Old 03-04-11, 02:21 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Are the carbon wheels clincher or tubular? And where are the wheels you originally bought?
Old 03-04-11, 02:25 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
Last years wheels. He has not sent me all of the information for everything else yet.

I agree I don't like flash intros much myself. The owner of the company and his colleagues do however. For now, I am just following those kinds of orders until the next pig push of items.

Online sales are not currently available as SuperiorLite and SLite are manufacturing companies, there will soon be a list/application to select your closest retailer.

As far as pictures, THESE ARE ALL JUST AT HOME SHOTS. When the promo pictures get finished and sent, that is what will be used.

MSRP, more items listed as well as available retailers will be coming very soon.

It is hard to start with little to no content and attempt to compete with the Treks/Giants of the industry who have decades worth of content available at their disposal. I will be sure to mention all above opinions to the owner and see where we want to go next.

Thank you, everybody for your HONEST opinions. Some things will obviously be changed and others will be based on the owners opinion and customers input.
Old 03-04-11, 02:27 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a picture of the wheels I bought originally. they were 2010 models, but I believe he may have something comparable coming out. This is them 'SL RACE' wheels on my allez.
Old 03-04-11, 02:32 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
Also, you must have missed the fact that I bought from somebody on E-bay. (One of SL's retailers)
Old 03-04-11, 02:39 PM
fsc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
I agree I don't like flash intros much myself. The owner of the company and his colleagues do however. For now, I am just following those kinds of orders until the next pig push of items.
Kinda figured that...

Online sales are not currently available as SuperiorLite and SLite are manufacturing companies, there will soon be a list/application to select your closest retailer.
Ahhhh. Makes sense, but it would be a good future business model, albeit one that requires quite a bit of reorg.

As far as pictures, THESE ARE ALL JUST AT HOME SHOTS. When the promo pictures get finished and sent, that is what will be used.
I know, you mentioned that in the first post. I just feel a need to point out the obvious at times

MSRP, more items listed as well as available retailers will be coming very soon.

It is hard to start with little to no content and attempt to compete with the Treks/Giants of the industry who have decades worth of content available at their disposal. I will be sure to mention all above opinions to the owner and see where we want to go next.

Thank you, everybody for your HONEST opinions. Some things will obviously be changed and others will be based on the owners opinion and customers input.
My honest opinion is that the owner is F'ing HUGE and does not look like a guy to mess with... and also awesome that he got 17th in a relatively large race. I couldnt do that at 27, so to be in the masters category and still do that well... TONS of respect for a guy like that.
Old 03-04-11, 02:48 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@fsc - Yeah, he is an ex semi pro body builder/engineer and defintiley knows what the hell he is talking about when it comes to bicycles and equipment. However, convincing him that people would rather not see moving banners is a hard thing to get across to him until we have some other ads or whatever.
As for his riding, he is legit.. I invited him out on a hilly 30+ mile ride in the Poconos a week ago and he pretty much let me know what I was in for riding with him. It was my route that I chose and he toasted me. Albeit his ride is a bit nice than mine (He rides SL Pro Elite with Sram Force I believe)
For the most part, he has been incredible with providing me with information. (His old site was literally the Warranty, Sizing Chart and About us)

So I am sure you will all see big changes over the next couple of months in regards to the site functionality.