Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Removing chrome...what works for you?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 02:14 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts

Got a frame with chrome socks that need the mostly toast chrome removed for painting. I have read several methods to remove it (barring media blasting). Methods include a baking soda or household cleanser paste, brake fluid, cola, oven cleaner, bleach and of course the acids. If I can, I want to avoid the acids. Who has stripped chrome here and how did it go for you? BTW I did search the forums. The search engine on here leaves something to be desired IMO.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-01-13, 02:25 PM
redbuda
Taco Member

Bikes: Volkscycle Pub Cruiser, Campy SS Cruiser, Cannondale M400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it to a powdercoater and get it dipped. Strips it to bare metal.
Old 07-01-13, 02:35 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Wire wheel.
Old 07-01-13, 02:59 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Where did you read that those methods will remove chrome? The only methods I know of are reverse electrolysis and grinding.
Old 07-01-13, 03:51 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Where did you read that those methods will remove chrome? The only methods I know of are reverse electrolysis and grinding.
Why the ever famous Wiki How. If figured knowing how ingenious this bunch is, someone had tried them or had a better mousetrap.

AFA powdercoater to strip, most of the shops around here use media to prep. They tell me they want a rough surface for the PC to adhere to once the chrome is gone. That's okay to a point, but I have seen how they leave the surface and it is IMO too rough for a good home paint job.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-01-13, 03:58 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I've roughed up the chrome fork & chainstay on my Motta with steel wool and/or sandpaper, prepped with phosphoric acid, and painted. Held up so far.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 07-01-13, 05:28 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Why the ever famous Wiki How. If figured knowing how ingenious this bunch is, someone had tried them or had a better mousetrap.

AFA powdercoater to strip, most of the shops around here use media to prep. They tell me they want a rough surface for the PC to adhere to once the chrome is gone. That's okay to a point, but I have seen how they leave the surface and it is IMO too rough for a good home paint job.
Just goes to prove that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Most of that is completely false. If oven cleaner dissolves chrome, why doesn't it dissolve the can it comes in? Brake fluid? Same question, and what about those steel brake lines? Chrome is pretty much impervious to household chemicals. Any acid strong enough to dissolve it will also dissolve your frame.
Old 07-01-13, 05:37 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Troo, GB. Baking soda? Cola? Baking soda and cola! Yeah haw. Maybe someone meant caustic soda. But still. I think you're going to have to sand or grind it or blast it off CV-6. Which doesn't sound like much fun at all.
Old 07-01-13, 06:20 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Just goes to prove that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Most of that is completely false. If oven cleaner dissolves chrome, why doesn't it dissolve the can it comes in? Brake fluid? Same question, and what about those steel brake lines? Chrome is pretty much impervious to household chemicals. Any acid strong enough to dissolve it will also dissolve your frame.
Which is why I posted here to verify my suspicions on the matter. And to take if further. If cola strips chrome, what is it doing to our stomachs? I don't know everything but I know where to come for some smart solutions. Like I said, looking for a better mousetrap.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-01-13, 08:57 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
The plater I use made an uncharacteristic mistake on a couple of forks by chroming the entire fork. The threads required media blasting and the crown had to be hand sanded with emery cloth. I'm taking the other one back to be redone.
Old 07-01-13, 09:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Bench grinder with a wire brush wheel.
Old 07-01-13, 09:35 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Apparently two years of exposure to the elements in the Kansas environment. It worked wonders on a recent Apollo that was giving to me as a basket case. The process uses rust to flake the chrome off. No scrubbing required. You know, except for the rust later.