Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shoes for toe clip pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 06:34 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,378 Posts

I have a set of toe clip pedals (at least I think they are called toe clips) on an old Fuji I picked up for a winter bike. Since they are on with locktite I can't get them off the cranks for now, at least. All my other pedals are spd and if I can get these off I will add spd as these toe clips are killing me. I just don't feel right in them.

But the toe clips are also ripping the toes of my spd shoes.

What do you wear with these pedals??

I can add photos of the pedals if needed
Old 12-11-18, 06:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,938 Posts
Modern shoes for use with clipless pedals tend to have taller toe boxes than traditional bike shoes, which is probably why your SPD shoes are getting scuffed by the clips. If you can get the clips off the pedals, you could replace them with MTB clips, which have a taller opening for the shoe. Otherwise, dress shoes with stiff leather soles or bowling shoes work. And traditional bike shoes with stiff soles and slotted cleats can still be had from e.g. eBay.

N.B. heat will loosen Locktite and even galvanic corrosion, so if you have a heat gun or hair dryer try warming the crank/pedal connection before trying to remove the pedals.
Old 12-11-18, 07:46 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I'm an SPD guy too, but I "need" to use old school toe clips for Eroica events. It's a rule deal. I found these Louis Garneau Nickel shoes that take a recessed spd cleat, but still work with the clips. I would dump the toe clips, and swap to spd, but if you stick with the toe clips, these should work either way. $39 at Nashbar, but other places should have them too. They include black laces too. I'm currently using half clips, but they're OK with full clips, too.

Old 12-11-18, 08:02 PM
WGB 
WGB

JohnDthompson

I sprayed the threads with PB blaster but l was lifting the Park stand off the floor. Never heard of heat for locktite. Will let the PB blaster soak in and try again. I expect a propane torch is too much and I should stick with a hairdryer??

Slightspeed

Thank you, I don't want to destroy my Spd shoes when there is a better way.
Old 12-11-18, 11:11 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 492 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
JohnDthompson

I sprayed the threads with PB blaster but l was lifting the Park stand off the floor. Never heard of heat for locktite. Will let the PB blaster soak in and try again. I expect a propane torch is too much and I should stick with a hairdryer??

Slightspeed

Thank you, I don't want to destroy my Spd shoes when there is a better way.
I find it often difficult or impossible to remove pedals while a bike is on a repair stand, and that's because they're tight, not because of the presence of loctite. The best way is usually to put the bike on the ground, leaning against the wall and stand and bounce on the pedal wrench, just the same way as you would get a car lug nut off. Also, make sure that you are turning the wrench the correct direction (the left pedal is reverse threaded while the right is normally threaded).
Old 12-11-18, 11:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
TEW Reynolds in UK classic custom made touting shoes
Old 12-12-18, 06:35 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Yes, a hairdryer.
Old 12-12-18, 06:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
... l was lifting the Park stand off the floor... when there is a better way.
The better way is to pull the cranks off and place the crank arm in a good bench vise. That way, you can put an extension on your 15mm wrench and torque away. That should do it.

And, yes, heat may help. Who puts Loctite on pedal threads? That's something that I've never heard of...
Old 12-12-18, 07:33 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Back in the day...I didn't use half clips, mine had leather straps. I would ride with those canvas boat sneakers. Oh yes, and blue jeans, cutoffs, tee shirts and certainly no helmet.
Old 12-12-18, 07:44 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Back in the day...I didn't use half clips, mine had leather straps. I would ride with those canvas boat sneakers. Oh yes, and blue jeans, cutoffs, tee shirts and certainly no helmet.
Ahhh, simple times...simple times.

I was using indoor soccer shoes of all things on my clips, because they had smooth soles and had a very low profile toe cap. They worked well enough, but they weren't as stiff as I would have liked. All the while I used them, I was searching for the old style riding shoes that were meant for clips. Finally found a nice pair on eBay that are actually my size. Took a long time to find a pair in a 44. European feet must be very small!
Old 12-12-18, 08:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
Heat will loosen lacktite and epoxy as said and as usual sheldonbrown has good advise.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-pedals.html
Old 12-12-18, 09:52 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This might be a silly question, but are you sure you're turning the right way on the pedals? Have you tried both sides? Left pedal should be reverse threaded. If you've only tried that one, you may just going the wrong direction.

If you already know this, disregard the post.
Old 12-12-18, 11:44 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Shoes: DVS/Cinelli Luster
Comfortable, durable, relatively cheap if you look around a bit.

(Dunno what's going on with the pictured colors. Mine are black/black with a little bit of the Cinelli green/gold/orange.)
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-12-18, 01:11 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The better way is to pull the cranks off and place the crank arm in a good bench vise. That way, you can put an extension on your 15mm wrench and torque away. That should do it.

And, yes, heat may help. Who puts Loctite on pedal threads? That's something that I've never heard of...
but if you do this make you are really sure on which way to loosen the pedal (not that I ever got confused, frustrated, and put on a cheater bar and proceeded to extend the threads in a crank by turning the wrong way)

on the bike you loosen pedals by turning toward the rear wheel

Old 12-12-18, 01:37 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Ahhh, simple times...simple times.

I was using indoor soccer shoes of all things on my clips, because they had smooth soles and had a very low profile toe cap. They worked well enough, but they weren't as stiff as I would have liked. All the while I used them, I was searching for the old style riding shoes that were meant for clips. Finally found a nice pair on eBay that are actually my size. Took a long time to find a pair in a 44. European feet must be very small!
I remember this from my LBS days.The average sizes sold regularly, but the small sizes tend to get left on the shelf. Consequently, decades later, the NOS cycling shoes available are nearly all small/kid sized.
Old 12-12-18, 04:17 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
The Yellow Jersey Bike Shop in. Wisconsin (the town escapes me right now) sells slotted cleats that fit Look and SPD bolt pattern shoes. I think they're about $30 a pair. Why not just keep it all vintage? I'm still using toe cages and wearing my Detto shoes.
Jon
Old 12-12-18, 04:45 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked 4,631 Times in 1,773 Posts
Pretty much all of my bikes have clips and straps. For "formal" rides, like L'Eroica I'll wear real cycling shoes, but the rest of the time I wear sneakers. As long as the tops are smooth enough to not interfere with the clips or straps, and the soles are not too wide and too thin, they all work fine for me. Currently I use these, and like them a lot, both for riding and walking:

Old 12-12-18, 05:13 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
The Yellow Jersey Bike Shop in. Wisconsin (the town escapes me right now) sells slotted cleats that fit Look and SPD bolt pattern shoes. I think they're about $30 a pair. Why not just keep it all vintage? I'm still using toe cages and wearing my Detto shoes.
Jon
Arlington. Aprx. 40 minutes north of Madison. Yellow Jersey, Ltd., Arlington WI USA Everything Cycling Since 1 April, 1971! ; the web site is about as C&V as they come... You'll be "ordering" essentially by PayPal payment and Email communication with Andy.

But the OP should be warned -- properly used, slotted cleats on hard-soled shoes in old-school pedals with clips and straps will LOCK your foot in the pedal, and the only way out is to quickly loosen the strap at the buckle. Personally, this is one part of the C&V expericence I'm happy to leave behind. Yes, you can loosen the straps (or the left strap at least) to the point where you can jerk your foot out in a pinch, but that partly defeats the purpose of the slotted cleat. A plain hard-soled non-cleated shoe (BITD it would be something like a Bata Biker) might be a wiser choice, depending on how "high performance" you want to go.

Photos of the pedals would be helpful, BTW, to determine if they're even appropriate for slotted cleats.

NB: I'll likely be going up to YJ in the next week or two, if you'd like me to check out these cleats or anything else in person.
Old 12-12-18, 09:08 PM
WGB 
WGB

I tried riding this bike with runners but no dice. I rode for about 45/48years with flat pedals but now that I am used to SPD I sadly can't transition back. I am going to try and fit in a "work" day in my garage this weekend and remove the pedals and fit SPD pedals (I also have to strip the wheel bearings and regrease) as it should be about 6C (40F).

Madpogue - thank you for your offer but my wife is giving me a new set of Shimano SPD shoes for Christmas and I better wear them....
Old 12-12-18, 09:53 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I tried riding this bike with runners but no dice. I rode for about 45/48years with flat pedals but now that I am used to SPD I sadly can't transition back.
Running shoes are the worst possible shoe for use with toe clips and straps. Not surprising you didn't like them. They can be ok if you happen to be using Lyotard #23 platforms or one of their clones. Vans work OK, as do Keds or similar sneakers. You must have a fairly smooth sole or they are difficult to insert. IME the best choice among conventional shoes is a pair of leather or leather/rubber soled dress shoes. I'd imagine old school bowling shoes would be good too. So +1 to what JohnDThompson said above.

BITD people with sport touring bikes might have used Avocet Touring shoes or Batas if they rode a lot of miles. Some of the modern retro touring shoes coming out of Europe should be about the same.

FWIW anyone that had invested in a $$$ all campy type pro level bike would have almost certainly have worn leather cycling shoes with cleats. Traditional cleated cycling shoes + clips and straps were functionally the same as clipless pedals. You did need to remember to loosen your strap before stopping, but that got to be second nature. SPD are more comfortable though. If you prefer them use them. Unless your bike is a museum piece not much point in troubling yourself. I don't really miss toe straps cutting into my feet on long steep climbs.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 12-13-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 10:05 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 840 Posts
For almost 50 years I have used toeclips and straps exclusively. My current favorite shoes are Giro Rumbles, but I also have some older Diadora mountain biking shoes and Lake BMX or skate shoes that are not too bad.

Nothing is as good as the old Avocet Touring shoes with the steel shanks and the slotted rubber soles.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-13-18, 05:23 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 523 Posts
I still have an old pair of the Avocet touring shoes that I use occasionally. They are getting pretty worn, which is the reason I switched to SPD pedals a few years ago.

My son uses his old track spikes, minus the spikes, for riding with toe clips. They are narrow and fairly smooth, and have a hard plastic bottom under the ball of the foot, where the pedal hits.
Old 12-13-18, 05:36 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I've got 4e wide feet. I tried A number of indoor soccer shoes but nothing fit. So I took a belt sander to the soles of my New Balance cross trainers and added Super feet insoles. Definitely function over form though.

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-13-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 05:37 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
All my bikes have clips and straps. For the last four or five years I've been wearing 5-10 Freeriders, a fairly inexpensive cyclocross shoe. They look and feel good enough to wear all the time, on or off the bike. They are my go-to shoe for commuting and just about everything.
Old 12-13-18, 06:25 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
All my bikes have clips and straps. For the last four or five years I've been wearing 5-10 Freeriders, a fairly inexpensive cyclocross shoe. They look and feel good enough to wear all the time, on or off the bike. They are my go-to shoe for commuting and just about everything.
Again, Professor Muller and I are alike (it's gittin weird) in our cycling choices. Here though it's Kelme Star 360 indoor soccer shoes. They not only work very well with all my quill pedals/cages/straps but I can put them on in the morning, drive to a trailhead, ride a long ride, drive back, stop for gas, go shopping, pop into the hardware store, sneak into the thrift shop, etc... then drive home and take them off. Comfortable for everthing.

Aware of the comments about these sort of shoes not being stiff enough, I bought the shoes 1/2 size larger than normal then made stiff inserts which have worked just grand. I made these from some 3mm thick ABS plastic I had. Used a shoe insert for the pattern and 'bobs yer uncle'. Longest day, so far, was 106 miles. Feet felt fine. Legs felt terrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.