Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oil With Some Tenacity?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Oil With Some Tenacity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 08:38 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 539 Posts
Didn't the bottles turned from the old green to white around the time Phil died?.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-29-20, 12:00 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I am looking for suggestions for a less-expensive substitute for Phil's Tenacious Oil. For the amount I need to use it, I can't justify (too cheap to pay) the price. I want it for freewheel use and most lubes, even motor oils seem too thin. I know, ideally, I should re-grease them, but for various reasons that's not possible right now. Any suggestions for a heavier, "stickier" basic lube that won't gum up the works?
Lithium spray grease will do a better job than oil and comes out of the can liquid enough to get into a freewheel.
You can also mix grease with a little solvent like white gas and dribble that into the freewheel. Warm up the freewheel and the solvent evaporates leaving the grease behind.
Old 04-29-20, 12:00 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
A mechanic at work gave me a can of this stuff to lube some of the pins for lifts on my truck. It sprays in, bubbles up then coagulated. I didn't realize how expensive it was until I just searched and I'm almost out, dang...
https://www.ebay.com/p/1407376980?ii...xoCplIQAvD_BwE
That link is for a lifetime supply of 24 cans!
Old 04-29-20, 12:13 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I am curious what is the situation that you use so much oiil that $10 for 4 oz is too expensive? i have a bottle that has lasted for years...mostly used to smooth quiet freewheels....not a lot other use for me.

I fully admit these and similar (what grease, what chain lube, can i use mineral oil from the laxative section in my hydraulic brakes, can I use bear grease on my brooks, etc) make me ask why? Why cheap out from products designed to do what they are supposed to do with substitutes? I can see if maybe it is a coop doing 1000 bikes a month...but then you can probably get industrial amounts and lower cost on the right stuff.
I'll try to sincerely answer your question why. I'd be lying if I said my frugality was about money, but that is the common conception. I guess for me it's just that I already have a lot of this stuff lying around. Plus, I don't have to go out shopping, keep around another set of bottles, or spend the money. That's threefold savings AND I get to learn something about oil, which may benefit me or a friend later. This is my usual approach and it hasn't caused me trouble, but I'm leaning heavily on my training in chemistry and experience repairing all sorts of equipment, from excavation to labs. If at least a few of us are amused by being skeptical and inquisitive about products, and have training and experience to be critical, we can chat about it and keep the technical details in common knowledge. Fending off ignorance and revealing "trade secrets" to the consumer helps keep snake oil salesmen at bay.
Old 04-29-20, 05:52 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I'll try to sincerely answer your question why. I'd be lying if I said my frugality was about money, but that is the common conception. I guess for me it's just that I already have a lot of this stuff lying around. Plus, I don't have to go out shopping, keep around another set of bottles, or spend the money. That's threefold savings AND I get to learn something about oil, which may benefit me or a friend later. This is my usual approach and it hasn't caused me trouble, but I'm leaning heavily on my training in chemistry and experience repairing all sorts of equipment, from excavation to labs. If at least a few of us are amused by being skeptical and inquisitive about products, and have training and experience to be critical, we can chat about it and keep the technical details in common knowledge. Fending off ignorance and revealing "trade secrets" to the consumer helps keep snake oil salesmen at bay.
++++1 I feel the same way. I'm now possessed of a strong skepticism about "experts" and marketing professionals. I no longer accept that they have our best interests in mind. Some yes. But many not at all. So I'm like scarlson, use what I have, search other markets, question things. Ex: the grease I use for most everything is the green SD Polyurea grease from John Deere. I keep that on hand all the time (4 JD tractors in service plus attachments) and numerous others toys. JD designed it for, among other things, corn harvesters. VERY hard, dirty, high impact, wet service. Large farming, zero failure tolerance applications.

"Good for everything in the place". And it looks just like the Park Tool grease. Suits me.
Old 04-29-20, 09:32 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
That link is for a lifetime supply of 24 cans!
I see that now. Thanks.
Old 04-29-20, 10:22 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Does anyone know why the new Phil Tenacious Oil bottle is white? Same goes for the grease, it's no longer in the minty green container.
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
They just changed the packaging at some point. It's actually kinda handy, now you can tell if the bottle/tube is new-ish, or 30 years old.
Originally Posted by merziac
I would be willing to bet good money the white plastic is cheaper, probably saves a whole 1/100 of a cent per unit.
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Didn't the bottles turned from the old green to white around the time Phil died?.....
Phil posted on their social media in March 2018 that their US bottle supplier suddenly and drastically raised the price on the classic teal color and Phil didn't feel it was worth it. They mentioned that in the 70s their bottles were actually white.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 04-30-20, 03:09 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Phil Tenacious Oil is 120W transmission gear oil.

verktyg
Do you have a source for 120w transmission gear oil? I couldn't find any thing with google. I did find some 600w oil for your Model T. I'm not sure this stuff has a bike use, but now I know it exists.

600w oil
Old 04-30-20, 07:11 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Gear Oil

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Do you have a source for 120w transmission gear oil? I couldn't find any thing with google. I did find some 600w oil for your Model T. I'm not sure this stuff has a bike use, but now I know it exists.
Showing my age... Gear oil used to be available in 80W, 90W, 120W & 140W (W = Weight which refers to viscosity). The higher the number the thicker the oil.

Looks like gear oil is only available in multigrades now: 75W-90, 80W-90, 90W-120 and so on. The first number before the "W" is the viscosity at room temperature. Additives maintain the same relative viscosity as the the second number at higher temperature.

Looks like 1 quart is the smallest size container you can buy??? More than several lifetimes worth of freewheel oiling. Any of those higher viscosity oils will work.

One suggestion, take a little container to an oil change place and if you ask them nicely, they may give you a little bit of gear oil.

Note: some manual transmissions use ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid which is about 10W - too thin. Motor oils run from 20W to 50W and multiweight oils can range from 10W-30 for cold climates to 30W-50.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 04-30-20, 08:03 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

I did a little more poking around, and it looks like SAE 120 is roughly equivalent to ISO 320. This might be worth a try.

Super-Lube-54300-Synthetic-Bottle
Old 04-30-20, 09:03 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I did a little more poking around, and it looks like SAE 120 is roughly equivalent to ISO 320. This might be worth a try.

Super-Lube-54300-Synthetic-Bottle
so that comes to $5.50 for 4 oz vs $10 for 4 oz of phils and phils is in a handy drip container. IMHO Phil's for the win in practicality, less mess, less storage space and less for your heirs to get rid of

Old 04-30-20, 09:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
I'm pathologically frugal, too, and it has burned me a lot. I had the same thoughts about bike lube, and to be truthful the difference between a bad lube and a good one is not that dramatic. So I set out to find good lubes that are more economical. For a while, I used ATF, and honestly, that was fine. It was slightly messy but not awful. It needed more frequent reapplication than some but less than others. Then I learned that viscous oil is actually good for chains, so I used chainsaw oil. With both of these, I bought some small squeeze bottles or reused bike oil bottles (less than 4 oz [0.11 liters]). Then I came back around, and my favorite chain oil is Chain-L. I'm back to spending a lot more per ounce, but the actual dollar increase is close to zero. If I were running a bike shop, I would probably feel differently, but I'm not.

I did something similar with cell carriers. I had AT&T and thought there had to be a better way. I went through three MVNOs (small providers that use the big companies' networks). I even went with one or two that charged by the minute and by the kilobyte, thinking I would be more careful and lower my bills. I had a lot of headaches. Some were with the setup. And I had to restrict my usage to avoid extra charges, and I ended up paying more. I went to T-Mobile, which is a great company with good rates but the coverage wasn't where I needed it. I finally came back to AT&T. It's certainly not the cheapest, but it's not the expensivest, either, and I get what I need.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-30-20, 09:23 AM
bark_eater 

Just out of cussedness I'm going to buy a gallon. That will get me under 50 cents an oz.....
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 05-01-20, 01:35 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Update

I wound up trying Bar & Chain oil. About $5 for what seems to be a forever supply. So far it seems to be working fine. I intend to rebuild this Regina FW eventually. The only problem is, since buying it, I can't get Social Distortion's "Ball & Chain" out of my head!
Old 05-01-20, 02:34 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I've been using TriFlow since it was called TriFlon and got sued. The only lube I've used on chains, freewheels and cassettes for near 40yrs now. Chains last forever and the ratchet things never wear out.
JMO of course
Charlie
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 05-01-20, 02:37 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I went to T-Mobile, which is a great company with good rates but the coverage wasn't where I needed it. I finally came back to AT&T. It's certainly not the cheapest, but it's not the expensivest, either, and I get what I need.
When I got my first cell phone, I went with T-Mobile because ... Jan Ullrich... True. I can't be the only one on this forum. ATT doesn't sponsor a pro bike team. T-Mobile has good coverage around here. 15 years ago it was little patchy in some areas.

Personally I hate noisy freewheels and cassettes. While I am a cheapskate too, I really have no problem spending $3 or $4 more for a bottle of oil that will give me peacefully whirring pawls for probably a decade. None of the alternative oils are even close to as viscous as Phil's.
Old 05-01-20, 02:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@Salamandrine, funny story.

If you ever get the chance, try Chain-L, created and sold by a BF member. I'd like to know what you think. It's been a long time since I used Phil oil, so I can't compare it with Chain-L.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-01-20, 03:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I wound up trying Bar & Chain oil. About $5 for what seems to be a forever supply. So far it seems to be working fine. I intend to rebuild this Regina FW eventually. The only problem is, since buying it, I can't get Social Distortion's "Ball & Chain" out of my head!
Good choice of music..... now just add a little Blasters, X and Sublime

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-02-20, 07:34 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I'll try to sincerely answer your question why.
I could not agree more. I am on a terror in my shop getting this under control. It is 35' x 46' and I can barely move around in it. Lubes for auto, bicycles, fishing reels, firearms, chainsaws, worm drive saw, synthetic/vegetable/mineral-based oils, hydraulic oils, etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-04-20, 03:56 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Ball & Chain

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Good choice of music..... now just add a little Blasters, X and Sublime
The ONLY and THE BEST VERSION!!!!

PLAY VERY LOUD!!!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-04-20, 11:13 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
I use ND 30w (non detergent); it is what is recommended for compressors.
A multigrade 20w-40 is a 20 weight oil at bicycle temps.
Originally Posted by verktyg
Showing my age... Gear oil used to be available in 80W, 90W, 120W & 140W (W = Weight which refers to viscosity). The higher the number the thicker the oil.

Looks like gear oil is only available in multigrades now: 75W-90, 80W-90, 90W-120 and so on. The first number before the "W" is the viscosity at room temperature. Additives maintain the same relative viscosity as the the second number at higher temperature.
A tangent, sorry: W does *not* stand for "weight", even though it was common to refer to grades of oil that way! It's a measure of the oil's ability to flow at cold temperatures ("W" = "winter".) For instance, a 10W30 oil or 80W90 transmission oil has to be able to flow at -25°C or it doesn't get that "W" number. The higher number has to do with its viscosity at hot temperatures, originally 100°C although a 150°C spec was added a few decades ago.

Bicycling-friendly temperatures are somewhere in the middle of those two ratings, so we needn't worry too much about the exact numbers.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-04-20, 11:22 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Salamandrine, funny story.

If you ever get the chance, try Chain-L, created and sold by a BF member. I'd like to know what you think. It's been a long time since I used Phil oil, so I can't compare it with Chain-L.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put that on my list of chain lubes to try. I gather that it's a sticky wet lube? Because of the dry dusty conditions out here in the west, most of the year I have to use a dry or dryish lube.
Old 05-04-20, 11:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
If you want super viscous, super sticky oil, try Lucas Transmission Treatment.
Old 05-04-20, 12:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put that on my list of chain lubes to try. I gather that it's a sticky wet lube? Because of the dry dusty conditions out here in the west, most of the year I have to use a dry or dryish lube.
Yes it's wet. I've only lived in humid places, NY, MA, and NJ.

Old 05-04-20, 01:42 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
A long time ago I took a community college course in classic car restoration. The instructor was an old pro and he said he would squirt used motor oil into inaccessible rusty spots. He said that used motor oil is sticky and stays in place. I have used it on freewheels and chainsaws after decanting and it seems to work just fine.

Last edited by sced; 05-04-20 at 01:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.