Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Too Sentimental to Sell?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Too Sentimental to Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-21, 03:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Theme of this thread is obvious. Sell if you think you can, don't sell it if you simply can't. What did we do before we had forums to help make decisions? lol
Apparently not that obvious; I never asked anyone to help me make a decision. I was just asking if anyone had experiences selling a sentimental favorite, not soliciting advice.
Old 11-15-21, 10:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I have a bike that I do ride with some frequency that I keep wanting to get ride of and then simultaneously want to keep because it is so fun. I really want to build up a clone of the bike but with disc brakes and a wider range drivetrain (it is 1x but with a 11-32 cassette) and really wide tires but in the end I am like why, I don't want to get rid of this bike and I don't want to strip it because I will just want to rebuild it because the parts are quite nice for a parts bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-15-21, 11:11 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
So far, I have sold each and every bike that I have loved and all but five of the bikes that I have ever owned. Bicycles, like all things, simply come and go in life. In the end, you possess nothing at all but relationships and some memories, hope and the promises of beyond this life as you understand them.

I have kept one or two objects that were meaningful to my deceased immediate family members. But I've shared by giving away many, many more.

My advice would be to sell the bike if it doesn't bring you joy today.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 11-15-21 at 11:12 AM. Reason: five, but who's counting?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-15-21, 11:38 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I recently let go of my first real road bike which wasn't that old (Trek Madone) that was getting some use as a spare roadie, on the trainer, or when my son came to visit we could ride together There was no way I was going to sell it. But my son moved to Portland, OR and didn't have his own bike, so it was an easy choice to just give it to him. Now I'll get to see it every once in a while and reminisce on what we achieved together, and I'll be able to see what it has done for my son. Sort of like my grandfather did when passing his auto mechanic tools onto me. Some things you absolutely can't part with, UNLESS they are staying in the family, and then it's like you're not parting with them at all.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-16-21, 12:39 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I had a bike that a friend custom made the frame and it took him three weeks to finish it. It was a work of art and looking at it one would think it was carbon fiber and not Reynolds 531. I had bought a Gintane with full Campy Record components and put them on this frame. That was in 1975. I spent the following year working with a fellow rider on the first map for cyclists for the coast route from Oregon to Mexico and we got the then California Division of Highways to print 10,000 copies. We used to see only an occasional hobo on our trips along Hwy 1 but after the printing of the map we saw a great many people out touring and using our map. The bike contained my memories of the days spent riding the roads all over California.

It was too special a bike in many respects to expect a buyer on Craigslist to appreciate it. I decided to pack it up and ship it to the frame builder so he could see what he had created 46 years ago. Took a full day to pack the bike up for shipping - far longer than I expected.

Last edited by Calsun; 11-16-21 at 12:44 AM.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-16-21, 03:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
GEEZE, it's a bike and not a body part. Served a purpose, been replaced so let it go. Hacking it up with a hacksaw means no worries about being loved or trashed by someone else.

BTW, if any doubts exist regarding my sincerity, back in 2015 at almost 65 I was diagnosed with PCa (Prostate Cancer) and the very first medical procedure I chose was to eliminate two components that were hanging around for most of my life. Fastest 10 pounds I lost and made 100+ mile rides much more enjoyable, made climbing easier and allowed me to finally hit those high notes.
Old 11-16-21, 12:33 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I don't understand your thinking. So one should take an old painting and burn it as it has "served its purpose"? There is a world of difference between a hand made object and some mass produced piece of kitsch made by the thousands.

First thing to do when diagnosed with prostrate or colon cancer is to eliminate animal protein from the diet. Good idea regardless as meat and dairy production is responsible for more than 50% of the global greenhouse gas emissions.