Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"The World's Most Beautiful Sport"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"The World's Most Beautiful Sport"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 02:49 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From the title of this thread,I was expecting to see photo's of a Raleigh *Sport.
Old 08-16-18, 04:28 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I always considered cycling a beautiful sport...then the bikes got ugly.
Agreed!

The new bikes lack the grace and delicate looks of the old steel rides. Slanted top tubes, large diameter "tubing", loooong seat posts and aero rims all make for an out-of-proportion look. Big riders look especially silly on them IMO.

But this is the C&V forum after all!😀
Old 08-16-18, 04:50 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Cycling in itself can feel beautiful on a good day. Watching it not so much to me. Soccer is the beautiful game. Perfect moments come together.
Old 08-16-18, 05:02 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

...which brings us to Disc Golf. Played at the professional level on an international course...breathtaking.
Amen. 1980 and '81 World Championships, Canadian champ in '83. Designed 2 courses with Steady Ed Headrick. Tooting my horn.
Originally Posted by rhm

I'm not sure what is, but tossing a frisbee around on the ocean beach is hard to beat, with its long fluid motions and the graceful flight of the disk.
Playing freestyle with the steady ocean wind is as you say, far and away, the most graceful of activities.

Last edited by clubman; 08-16-18 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 05:08 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I agree, I have wondered that myself. Mountain bikes on a closed course. High tech lightweight target rifle strapped on shoulder, go from target to target, what's not to like?
they do it here in Yukon, but the guns stay on the ground at the range and you cycle a loop and return to the gun a few times. Just for fun a handful of times a year.
Old 08-16-18, 06:06 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Okay so I've already asked for a definition of "sport" and now I'll ask for a definition of "beautiful."

I agree mountains are beautiful, and that climbing them is a sport, but that doesn't add up to mountaineering is a beautiful sport. I'm sorry, but it's not. I've done it plenty, I understand the attraction, but proximity to beauty is not the same thing as beauty.

As to soccer: yes, I agree. Soccer is a beautiful thing. But it is so fast, and at times rather brutal. I think (as far as beauty is connected) the various games that involve a flying disk have an edge over of the games that use a ball.

As for cycling... I love it. But I can be objective about this: it's not a beautiful thing. There's beauty there, for sure, and beauty all around you sometimes, but that's not what we're talking about here... is it?
Old 08-16-18, 10:55 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 2,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Hey, you forgot to crop the surly govt bureaucrats out of your picture. I suppose that is "his" mountain though, hopefully he didn't follow you around for the entire day. Not a bad-looking fellow for an overpaid park ranger, rather distinguished, I wonder how he looks in Rapha?

Not sure about Rapha, but it is rumored wool jerseys might suit him.
And also not a career govt employee, only a 1 summer Wilderness Ranger, not counting volunteer years in the woods.