Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Volpe vs. Specialized Tricross vs. Raleigh Clubman-Discuss

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 10:22 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Long distance commuting (60 miles RT) in Chicago area. Mix of trail, decent road, and crappy pothole road. I've talked myself into each of these bikes at one point or another. ie. buy steel-ruling out the Tricross, steel is heavier, Tricross back in. Raleigh-fenders and Brooks saddle included, Volpe-haven't read anything bad about them yet. And of course there's the new vs. used question, too. HELP ME!
Old 08-16-10, 10:26 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Salsa Casserroll.
Old 08-16-10, 10:34 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend has a clubman and likes it.. that's about all I can add..
Old 08-16-10, 11:18 PM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a Volpe and found it fine, but kind of "meh." Got on a Jamis Nova (now rebadged, with some component changes, as the Aurora Elite) and I was grinning like an idiot after about two seconds. In other words: Find these bikes and ride them.
Old 08-16-10, 11:42 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are very similar geometry wise. The Tricross will be a tad bit more aggressive than the rest. Have you test ridden all of these three model? If not, do it. Then make the decision based on how it feels.

I'd imagine the Raleigh and the Volpe will have the same riding characteristics since both are all steel while the specialized will feel a bit different since it has a bit more steeper headtube angle and it has an aluminum frame with carbon fork.

Also the Raleigh comes with dualpivot sidepull brakes. I bet the max tire width will be around 32c. The Specialized and the Volpe has cantilever brakes which will allow wider tires (35-40c). Of course, do not know the specs for certain, you should look into this. Especially if you want to run wide tires. Could be the deal breaker.
Old 08-16-10, 11:59 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My LBS has a Clubman on display (drool). It is a sexy machine. My only concern would be the 28-spoke wheels since I'm a Clyde. It looks like Raleigh has addressed the problem for 2011 since the new model has 32-spoke wheels. Looks like they're changing the paint to green from brown as well. Here's a review of the 2009 model (which, ironically, was grey instead of brown or green): https://www.bicycletimesmag.com/content/raleigh-clubman.
Old 08-17-10, 06:19 AM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I was really unimpressed when i test rode a Volpe as well. I rode it back to back with a CrossCheck and the CrossCheck had my giddy, the Volpe felt dead and boring and was quickly tossed out of contention. Its of course a personal thing, i have long legs so ended up with a Ridley, their geometry fits me like a glove.
Old 08-17-10, 07:12 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, cross off the Volpe. Jamis Aurora Elite a bit too much $$. I've read the CrossCheck is kind of heavy (even vs. other steel rides), but may have to check it out.

BengeBoy, what about the Casseroll. Let's hear some salesmanship. Oh yeah, I'm trying to stay under $1000, but would buy used if I found THE bike.
Old 08-17-10, 07:58 PM
Absenth

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode an Aurora and the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Similar experience to TXDan with the Volpe and the CrossCheck. The Jamis was a nice bike, but the Surly feels really really solid.
as a commuter, are you really going to notice an extra even 10 pounds? I can't harldy tell the difference with my trucker naked, vs dual loaded rear panniers on my commute. I wouldn't cross any bike off the list just because of weight.
Old 08-17-10, 09:26 PM
driveblind

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Crossroads Comp, 2010 Redline 925

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my eye on a Clubman for next year (I love the new green), so I've been reading quite a bit about it lately. I believe that I saw that the max tire size is 32 without fenders and 28 with fenders. Have you ridden all of these bikes? Any way you go, it looks like you're going to end up with a nice new ride.
Old 08-17-10, 09:36 PM
rumatt

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in a very similar situation and I'm quite close to ordering a Gunnar sport
Old 08-17-10, 10:03 PM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voldemort
Okay, cross off the Volpe. Jamis Aurora Elite a bit too much $$. I've read the CrossCheck is kind of heavy (even vs. other steel rides), but may have to check it out.

BengeBoy, what about the Casseroll. Let's hear some salesmanship. Oh yeah, I'm trying to stay under $1000, but would buy used if I found THE bike.
Yeah, the Aurora Elite isn't cheap (I think they raised the price from when I bought my Nova), but you might get a good deal if you can find an older model. FYI, 2007 was the last year of the Nova - the Aurora Elite was introduced in 2008.

I've heard great things here about the Casseroll.
Old 08-17-10, 11:34 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by voldemort
Several things:

1. Both Salsa and Surly are from QBP. My impression is that the fit/finish of the Salsa line is better. I like that.
2. Good value for money.
3. I liked my test ride.
4. The several people I know who own them love them.
5. I like the color.
6. Good all round bike -- has rack mounts, long enough chainstays to fit medium sized panniers on a rack on the rear, plenty of clearance of good-sized tires w/fenders.

Although -- I think any of the 3 bikes you mentioned would work.
Old 08-18-10, 05:59 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rode the Clubman today. Hard to get a feel for what it might be like comfort-wise, test-riding a non-broken in hard-as-a-rock Brooks saddle. And it comes with 25mm tires, which don't give me an idea of commute comfort when I would use 28s or 32s. How does one translate a hard, bumpy ride on the tires yu won't be riding on a saddle that will eventually be much more comfortable than it is on the test ride?

Will steel frame with 28s (if I need to keep the fenders on for commuting be significantly more comfortable than the 25s on my carbon road bike? Or do I really need to figure on riding 32 or larger?
Old 08-23-10, 06:45 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, finally found a Salsa Casseroll to test ride. I test rode it on an old brick street, and I can't even imagine trying that on my road bike. And now a Volpe (I know, I had just ruled them out a week ago) just came up on CL, so hopefully taking a ride on that soon. The Casseroll soooo outrode the Raleigh Clubman (well, at least for me). Also tried the Surly Crosscheck. Really nice bike, but not the right ride for me. I guess I don't really want to go back to bar end shifters, but I didn't realize that until I rode the Surly.
Old 08-23-10, 07:25 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBDan
I was really unimpressed when i test rode a Volpe as well. I rode it back to back with a CrossCheck and the CrossCheck had my giddy, the Volpe felt dead and boring and was quickly tossed out of contention. Its of course a personal thing, i have long legs so ended up with a Ridley, their geometry fits me like a glove.
A number of year ago, I also test rode a Volpe and a CC. I bought the Volpe and still like it. Liked the CC, but the double ring... well...

Sometimes even something like not properly inflated tires or even crappy tires will negatively influence a test ride. Or the particularly size of the bike, Volpe a 55cm and the CC a 54.
Old 08-24-10, 10:54 AM
karrar

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Beatnik, 1987 Cannondale ST800, 1987 Cannondale Black Lightning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm test riding a volpe tomorrow, ill let you know what i think