Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Mongoose Brawler: Rebuild on non-drive side rear hub

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 08:09 AM
ForceInFlorida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, it's a cheap bike but I still would like to rebuild just the rear hub to get it going. All else is OK.
I would like to find the parts diagram and the parts for the non-drive side rear hub. It looks like I need the bearing cover and the caged bearing. I found no cone adjustment on this side so the parts need to be exact. Without a cone adjustment I'm at a bit of a loss. I found an empty, deformed bearing cage on disassembly. Also the bearing cover is missing it's center.
There is a cone and bearing on the drive side of the hub so bearing size on that side is not super-critical.
The contact for Mongoose, comcustomerservice@pacific-cycle.com email reply regarding the above: no parts diagram and no parts.
I'm hoping that someone here may have some info on this rebuild.
Old 01-09-24, 03:10 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
To get it rolling I'd ditch the bearing retainers and go loose-ball. Use a grease gun to apply a bead of grease where the bearings go, then stick them in place one at a time. You will need more bearings than the bearing retainer had, and it actually is important to make sure the bearings are the correct side on both sides of the hub. The wheel should likely still be able to function with the bearing cover missing. Finding a new bearing cover would likely involve finding another one of the same hub to steal it from. Or you could just replace the whole wheel.
Old 01-09-24, 03:35 PM
ForceInFlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The drive side has a cone and bearing race, so yes, loose bearings embedded in grease would be fine. The problem is that the non-drive side has no cone, just a thin bearing race. It appears that the bearing cage was necessary to hold the bearings in place. I found the cage deformed which may have allowed for enough hub play to dump out the bearings. At this point the bike and our use of it does not warrant buying a whole new hub and wheel. I just need some info on rebuilding that non-drive side of the hub.
​​​​​​

Last edited by ForceInFlorida; 01-09-24 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-09-24, 03:55 PM
ForceInFlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my search for information I found a forum posting on another forum dated 2009 and expressing the same need for a parts diagram and rebuild part source. There was no reply.
I have intermediate rebuild skills and still want to resolve this unknown entity. Thanks for any help on this.
In the advertising literature I found this description of the rear hub:
Pro-style 25/9T micro gearing

Last edited by ForceInFlorida; 01-09-24 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-09-24, 06:54 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

If it is a bearing, it needs to have two surfaces to rotate against. I haven't actually torn apart a hub of this style, but my guess is that the non-driveside would still have a non-adjustable cone, leaving all of the adjustment to be done on the driveside.
Have you had this wheel while it was functional, or did you find it when it was already having issues? If it is the latter, then the cone might be missing, and you won't be able to get a working hub without another hub to steal some parts from.

My guess is that if you can find a diagram for a loose-ball freecoaster hub, your hub should look quite similar inside, even if the parts from another brand won't likely be compatible with yours. I did a quick search and wasn't able to come up with anything, but it might be possible to find something with more searching.

If your hub does have it's non-driveside cone, and it isn't practical to loose ball that side with how it is designed, then bring all the parts to a bike shop and they might be able to help figure out the correct bearing retainer to serve as a replacement.

Also worth mentioning that a damaged bearing retainer can damage other parts of the hub, so the end result might not be great even if you do get a working assembly of parts.
Old 01-09-24, 10:02 PM
ForceInFlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrowana: Thank you for taking the time and interest on all of this. A neighbor gave me the bike in this condition because he was at a total loss of how to repair it. Otherwise it's in very good shape so I thought I would take some time to try to figure this out.
It's a single speed 9t cassette hub. And it is just the non-driver side that I can't figure out. I'll see if I can post a photo of it. The bearing cover is missing something that was centered in its center axle hole. I'm wondering if that may be the missing cone.

The downloaded manual shows a parts diagram for the crank set. But nothing on the rear hub.

Thank you again for your efforts to help.

Last edited by ForceInFlorida; 01-09-24 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-10-24, 12:28 AM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Ok, since it is a cassette style hub, there likely would be an adjustable cone on the non-driveside. Since you mention the bearing cover seems to be missing something in the center, it seems pretty safe to say you are missing a cone. It might be theoretically possible that a bike shop could have a replacement cone, but it would be very difficult to figure out the correct one without having the old cone for comparison, unless it is identical to the driveside cone. With cassette hubs on multi-speed bikes, the two cones are usually different.

The forum requires you to have 10 posts to post pictures, but in the mean time you can upload pictures to an album on your profile.
Old 01-10-24, 02:18 AM
ForceInFlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a YouTube video regarding rear hub bearing repair on this specific bike, it was explicit on the driver side but vague on the non-driver side. Because of that vagueness, there were a number of questions in the comments related to my question here. The only information that I was able to gain though, is that he used a coaster brake 7/32 X 9 caged bearing.

Last edited by ForceInFlorida; 01-10-24 at 08:44 AM.