Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recomendations similar to Rivazza/T2000?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 02:09 PM
DBO
Looking for tandem

Bikes: Specialized and GT singles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! I am looking to purchase my first tandem in the very near future. My current bike is a 2000 Specialized S-Works. I recently started cycling again and have been getting in about 100-150 miles a week. With my renewed interest in cycling my wife has become jealous of the time I am spending riding, and has expressed an interest in getting into the sport. In discussing the various options, we have come to the conclusion that a tandem road bike offers the best package for us as a couple (ex. time spent together, ability to ride together without slowing one of us down, ability to compete together, etc.). She hasn't ever done any road riding, but has done some mountain biking in the past and even entered a few races.

Since we are in Birmingham, Al, we are very fortunate to have a tandem-specific dealer right here in town - Tandems Limited. Jack and Susan are great folks! We visited with them last Friday to discuss our needs and test rode a Burley Rumba and Tosa. They spent a lot of time with us going over the proper techniques for mounting, dismounting, braking/stopping, etc. My wife had such a good time that she was ready to make a purchase right then and there (Sorry Susan). In considering all of the advice that I read on this and other web sites, I suggested to her that we try to look for a used tandem and try to test ride other models.

Although I am sure that most race organizers/promoters never even consider having classes for tandems in their events, apparently there are a few annual tandem races in our area (with small classes). Because one of my goals is to be a competitive cyclist, I would like to purchase a tandem that is appropriate (aluminum frame, light aero wheels, etc.). My wife also likes the idea of racing - especially since smaller classes increases the likelyhood of a podium finish!

So in doing my research, the Burley Rivazza and the Trek T2000 are the models that appear to be the most appropriate for us (although the prices are going to make the purchase really hurt). So my questions to the group are these, are there other bikes that I should be considering (in a similar price range? Or, given that we're new to tandeming, does it make more sense to buy something similar to a Tosa, then upgrade to a racing tandem later? Also, apparently there are no Trek dealers within 100 miles that have a T2000 available to test ride (Tandems Ltd isn't a Trek dealer). Does this make the Burley the obvious choice? Should I be concerned about placing an order with Burley given their recent problems? If the group agrees that the Burley Rivazza is the right bike for us, would it be a mistake to buy a new one given that this is our first bike?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 08-16-06, 03:39 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale also makes a tandem at the T2000 price point. IMO, if you're serious about racing, spend the cashola and buy a racing tandem. You'll just be upgrading later. If you plan to seriously ride it all the time, it's money well spent.
Old 08-16-06, 04:22 PM
Tandem Edge

Bikes: Tandems - Trek 2000, Cannondale MT1000 Road - Trek 5700 MT - Bridgestone Zip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DBO
We are the happy owners of a 2006 Trek T2000. The bike is responsive and light. Everything we expected and more. The only problem ... the Trek dealer is only generally familiar with tandems. (Read " Another one of those daze" posting for our first experience with the dealer.) These bikes are strange beasts with long cables that require direct hands on experience. Adjustments that are perfect on the bike stand do not always work well when the bike is loaded with two people. I have found one Trek dealer at a recent tandem rally that knows his "stuff" but he's 100 miles away in MA and there are no tandem specific shops in CT.

So, as much as I like Trek bicycles (have 2 singles including a 5200 carbon fiber) and love the T2000, my opinion is buy the Burley from Tandems Limited.

Tandem Edge
Old 08-16-06, 04:54 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have known Jack and Susan for decades; great folks to deal with.
Another brand to throw into the mix is Co-Motion.
Old 08-16-06, 05:41 PM
DBO
Looking for tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Have known Jack and Susan for decades; great folks to deal with.
Another brand to throw into the mix is Co-Motion.
The similarly built Co-Motions are thousands more than the Burley Rivazza (ex. Supremo $6250). The low end Co-Motion in an aluminum frame is the Roadster, which retails for just over $5K. I have read a lot of good reviews from Co-Motion owners, but I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money. Even at the $4K price point we have plenty of room for an eventual upgrade.
Old 08-16-06, 05:48 PM
DBO
Looking for tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Edge
The only problem ... the Trek dealer is only generally familiar with tandems.
Yep, thanks for pointing that out. That's something that I am taking into consideration. Most of the LBS around here rarely even sell a tandem much less do maintenance/repairs. When asking them about a tandem, most of them respond by asking, "Have you checked with Tandems Limited?"
Old 08-16-06, 07:03 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Any tandem can be a competitive racing tandem so long as it's in good repair and is fitted to the team such that they can efficiently power the machine. A super-light frame, carbon forks, low-spoke count wheels, and the other "racing" components are nice but of little real benefit -- albeit some claim that there is definitely a a psychological performance boost -- until such time as you and your stoker have achieved a very high level of fitness, shed all of your excess weight, and have achieved peak riding form.

So, for your first tandem, buy the best tandem you can afford making sure it fits properly and then start riding, training, and racing if you are so inclined. David Hunter hosts a tandem racing list at YahooGroups called "ASTRO" which you can use to find all of the regional races with tandem classes. If you find that you're missing the podium by seconds or perhaps long road races by a minute or two, a lighter frame or aerodynamic wheels may give you the competitive edge you need.

Until then, a Rivazza (which is a racing tandem) or any other good, reliable, and durable tandem should work just fine for the first year. If you get an itch to upgrade something on that first tandem, just take the money you'd spend on the upgrade and stick it in your "save it for the next tandem" fund. At the end of the first year, if you decide you want or need something "better" you'll know a lot more about tandems and be able to combine the money in that fund with the proceeds from selling your first tandem and can use those premium dollars wisely on things that will truly matter and suit your needs, e.g., perhaps a custom sized frame will be in order, maybe $3900 for an open-frame Calfee carbon racing tandem will now seem reasonable if you find yourselves banging elbows with the racer-boys every weekend and shaving seconds off your personal best at the monthly time-trials.

Good hunting and remember, when it comes to cycling you can't bolt on or buy speed... you have to earn it. Also keep in mind that being fast also means being comfortable and minimizing fatigue and depending on what type of competitions you'll be pursuing, you may find that a super-stiff, hard-core "racing" tandem isn't the ideal choice for you and your stoker.

Bottom Line: Make sure what ever you buy fits both you and your stoker and you'll be good to go.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 08-18-06 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 07:45 AM
rjberner
BudLight

Bikes: Klein roadie, carbon proto mtn bike, burley tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great fun to look for a new bicycle! Couple of thoughts:

1. Please heed TG's plea to get the right fit. It would be better to resurrect a beat up old frame from a boneyard that fit well than to buy an ill-fitting new bike. Speaking of which, if you could find a good used frame in your size, it would be a great learning experience to build it out if you are so inclined. A premium Dura Ace gruppo and buildout package from Tandems East is around $3000. I’m sure the folks at Tandems Ltd. can get you there also. Order a premium new frame in a year or two and re-use the parts.

2. The value of folks like Tandems Ltd. is that they will do everything they can to ensure your fit. Othe LBS's may try to force-fit you into one they want off their floor. Note the stoker top tube length on the Burley’s. Not a problem unless the stoker (perhaps a son) is long-waisted.

3. I would eat franks and beans for six months and get the Rivazza package over the Tosa. They have the same frameset, but you couldn’t come close to upgrading the Tosa for the $1500 difference.

4. Check out the Paso Burley Paso Doble steelie for $3000. About the same weight as the Rivazza and good components.

5. Check out the T2000 on EBay in Florida right now for around $2500 + shipping. But decide if the uncertainty of a long distance EBay purchase is worth it. Personally, I wouldn’t buy anything I haven’t tried, with some leeway. (For instance, a Rivazza can be “tried” by driving a Tosa.) It would be better to hold off, rent a tandem, go to a major tandem rally and try out the bikes.
Old 08-17-06, 10:39 AM
NewbieIATandem

Bikes: Trek T900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now in your price range a used T2000 via long distance would be an option. In other words, there are a couple of T2000s on Ebay right now. With their price the shipping may be reasonable. My price point however is where the shipping becomes a really significant part of the price .

OK, we close on our new house tomorrow, a McDonald's Happy Meal is kind of stretching the budget right now .
Old 08-17-06, 11:39 AM
KnoxBreezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBO
So in doing my research, the Burley Rivazza and the Trek T2000 are the models that appear to be the most appropriate for us (although the prices are going to make the purchase really hurt). So my questions to the group are these, are there other bikes that I should be considering (in a similar price range? Or, given that we're new to tandeming, does it make more sense to buy something similar to a Tosa, then upgrade to a racing tandem later? Also, apparently there are no Trek dealers within 100 miles that have a T2000 available to test ride (Tandems Ltd isn't a Trek dealer). Does this make the Burley the obvious choice? Should I be concerned about placing an order with Burley given their recent problems? If the group agrees that the Burley Rivazza is the right bike for us, would it be a mistake to buy a new one given that this is our first bike?
All the Burley Aluminum frames are the same, so a Rivazza is essentially a Tosa with: carbon folk, Rolf wheelset, and upgraded component set.

We choose to order a Tosa and added the carbon fork (she should be here in the next few days!). The difference in components didn't mean all that much to us, and as a larger tandem team the Rolf wheels just didn't seem all that reliable. That said, the Tosa was really the "best bike we could afford" without taking on some decent credit card debt .
Old 08-17-06, 11:46 AM
K&M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We rode a couple of Trek T2000s pretty extensively before buying our Rivazza and we GREATLY prefer the Rivazza. It is a huge step up (in our opinion) for not a whole lot more dough. Assuming Burley is still in business, we would definitely recommend the Rivazza.
Old 08-18-06, 04:24 PM
DBO
Looking for tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, we did it! We placed our order for a Burley Rivazza today! Now comes the painful part - waiting for it to arrive! Thanks for all of the helpful advice. I found the firsthand accounts from the owners of the various brands/models to be very beneficial.

Hope to see some of you somewhere down the road!
Old 10-19-06, 10:29 AM
URace4Me2

Bikes: Rivazza, San Lorenzo, Waterford 1200, many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both will do. The 2005 masters mixed nationals road race in Utah was won on a Trek, and the 2006 race in PA was won on a Burley Rivazza. Although the Rivazza is favored by both teams that won those two years. My teammates Katie and Kent won 2005 and Stacey and I won 2006! The Rivazza is awesome.