Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

weekend ride reports - where'd ya ride?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

weekend ride reports - where'd ya ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 08:14 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No, that wasn't us...we were going toward Winters on PV maybe 15-20 min. earlier, on our half-bikes. We don't know who that tandem was.

My girlfriend is recovering from tendonitis; my hubby was overseas the past two weeks, so for them my recovery ride was a good workout. It was a beautiful day for a ride.
Old 04-02-07, 09:49 AM
rollinhard

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sister and I did the Geysers. We started in Healdsburg, went up to Cloverdale to Geysers road, and back to Healdsburg. Pretty hard climb, but the descent was insane as always. Hardly any traffic on Sunday morning. Awesome ride.
Old 04-02-07, 09:49 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Friday, a friend and I did a century ride up to Mt. Hamilton. Started from Milpitas, up Calaveras, Felter Rd., over to Pleasanton and Livermore. Then rode 25 miles along Mines Rd to the base of Mt. Hamilton and climbed it at mile 75 (ugh). 103 miles and 8000 ft total.

It was my first time on Mines and Mt. Hamilton. That's some of the prettiest roads in the Bay Area! Highly recommend routes.
Old 04-02-07, 09:53 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Anybody else do any errands on the bike? I made a couple of hardware store runs yesterday. It's always better on the bike.
Old 04-02-07, 09:58 AM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Anybody else do any errands on the bike? I made a couple of hardware store runs yesterday. It's always better on the bike.
I just purchased an old Specialized Crossroads strictly for errands. Threw on a rack and had some panniers already. Now I am looking for reasons to go to the store.
Old 04-02-07, 11:11 AM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On Sunday, I rode out to the American River bike trail for the first time in quite a while. It was a really nice ride up until the closed portion. Didn't want to turn around yet, so I went over the levee, through the mud, and continued on Exposition Blvd. Exposition is no bike trail, that's for sure. Ugh. Got tired of it and turned around at Ethan. Got the honk & buzz treatment by some ****** in a white Suburban on the way up the overpass before the onramp (hey, no bike lane or shoulder! Swell!). Made it back onto the trail, and suddenly, the ride became pleasant again.

All in all, it was a nice ride on a nice day. Can't wait for the trail to reopen. I wanted to keep going.
Old 04-02-07, 12:00 PM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mostly rode around the Auburn and Newcastle area finishing up with a fun ride up Ridge Rd last night.
Old 04-02-07, 12:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

It occurred to me that there's a "backdoor" to the CalExpo parking lot that has very little traffic and would be a lot better than putting people on Exposition. Who do you think would be a good place to call and complain/suggest a better route?
Old 04-02-07, 02:33 PM
platypus
Style-challenged

Bikes: Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did a 60-miler across the Dumbarton, up into Hayward and then back down along 237 on Sunday. Crappiest 60 miles I think I've ever done between the constant wind and the blech-tastic scenery of Hayward/Union City/Fremont.
Old 04-02-07, 05:17 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by platypus
did a 60-miler across the Dumbarton, up into Hayward and then back down along 237 on Sunday. Crappiest 60 miles I think I've ever done between the constant wind and the blech-tastic scenery of Hayward/Union City/Fremont.
Agree with your description of the scenery . Why didn't you head West and ride to the coast or something?
Old 04-02-07, 06:52 PM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It occurred to me that there's a "backdoor" to the CalExpo parking lot that has very little traffic and would be a lot better than putting people on Exposition. Who do you think would be a good place to call and complain/suggest a better route?
you're talking government officials now... good luck!
Old 04-02-07, 08:58 PM
x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hmm, I noticed all of the Cal Expo lots were closed off, but it didn't occur to me to sneak between the barriers.

A quick Google search didn't come up with much other than the American River Parkway Foundation. They might be able to tell you who to talk to about the detour.

Or you could call UP and tell them to hurry the hell up.
Old 04-02-07, 10:02 PM
platypus
Style-challenged

Bikes: Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Agree with your description of the scenery . Why didn't you head West and ride to the coast or something?
meh, I was secondarily going over to that neck of the woods to visit someone. I won't likely do that again tho.
Old 04-02-07, 10:51 PM
ahpook
dirtbag roadie

Bikes: Della Santa Corsa Speciale -- Kish custom -- Santa Cruz Stigmata -- Niner Air 9 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my ride...

Posted more about it on my blog (link in sig)

Did we see any of you AV B-riders at the liquor store across from Alice's? My friend had the Cervelo P3 that everyone was ahhing over.
Old 04-02-07, 11:04 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by x136
Hmm, I noticed all of the Cal Expo lots were closed off, but it didn't occur to me to sneak between the barriers.

A quick Google search didn't come up with much other than the American River Parkway Foundation. They might be able to tell you who to talk to about the detour.

Or you could call UP and tell them to hurry the hell up.
I think I might send an email to SABA and see if that gets any action.
Old 04-09-07, 08:54 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Saturday 42 mile tandem ride from Canada and 92 to Los Altos Hills. New personal best on speed averaging 19.1 mph . Easter Sunday rode our road bikes with Bike Forums group from Sarratoga up Highway 9 to the top of Skyline back via Page Mill - 35 miles.
Old 04-09-07, 09:11 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday: 58-mile hammerfest on my club's B ride which is not supposed to be a race but felt eerily like one. We climbed Kings Mountain Rd, then proceeded southward along Skyline Blvd., West on Hwy 84, then another short climb up Old La Honda West. Dropped down the east side of 84 and back to the start in Los Altos. Very high-energy ride right from the start. I suffered on the climbs but had a lot of fun chasing and getting chased along the rollers on Skyline.

Sunday: did part of the BF group ride mentioned above by Hermes. 29 miles rt from my house in West SJ.
Old 04-09-07, 10:02 AM
caloso

Saturday morning: 42 miles from my house in Sacramento to my folks' house in Wheatland. Most of it was along lightly traveled levee roads and I saw many, many birds: common and redwinged blackbirds, coots, grouses, quail, ducks, egrets, blue herons, black and redtailed hawks, sparrows, kites. Just beautiful. And because I had a steady tailwind all the way, I made the trip in less than 2 hours, for a very easy 21mph average. Just wonderful.

Saturday afternoon: Once around the park with my three year old son. At one point when we were "racing" he hit 7mph according to my computer. On 12 inch wheels! (What's that work out to on a 700c wheel?) Great fun.
Old 04-09-07, 10:03 AM
jobob
back of the autobus

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday: Party Pardee metric century starting in Ione, in the foothills of Amador County. A very well-organized and well-supported ride. 65 miles, about 3200 ft of climbing, a lovely, fun, roller-y route.

Sunday: my East Bay loop. Starting from home in Union City, I rode along the Alameda Creek Trail to the eastern end at Niles, then onto Niles Canyon Blvd, up Palomares, west on Castro Valley Blvd., up Redwood Road, Pinehurst, and Canyon Rds., took Moraga Blvd. to Mt. Diablo Blvd. in Lafayette, Pleasant Hill Bldv to Olympic Blvd. to Walnut Creek, S. Main to Danville Blvd, thru Danville to San Ramon Blvd then onto Foothill into Sunol. My husband picked me up in Sunol. 72 miles, about 3600 ft.

Originally Posted by platypus
Hey Platypus, while I agree there are some blech-tastic areas to behold over here , have you gone up Palomares or Redwood/Pinehurst/Canyon Roads, or Calaveras Road? It's really lovely up on those roads, especially right now.
Old 04-09-07, 10:05 AM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Since I was on-call the whole weekend, I wasn't able to enjoy the glorious weather. However, I did sneak out at 6 PM. Figuring I had about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to ride, I did a loop from Santa Clara to Mt. Eden and back.

Didn't have enough time to do Montebello.

My Cycling Blog
Old 04-09-07, 11:11 AM
cantdrv55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since it was Easter Sunday, I couldn't get away until late in the afternoon. So, I went for a short 30 miler from Benicia to Fairfield again via Lopes Rd. Someday I'll venture out towards Vacaville and Winters to ride around Lake Berryessa.

By the way, it was so windy on my ride that with a tailwind, I was doing 26 mph on the flats!
Old 04-09-07, 01:35 PM
7rider

Bikes: 1999 Seven Sola, 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL, 2006 Merlin Works CR 3/2.5, 2009 Kona Ute, Spot Acme, 2017 Raleigh Roker Comp, 2016 Specialized Camber Expert 29

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the way up Montebello Road, past the gate, to the transmission towers, then down on Pagemill to Black Mountain and home. Sunday was truly a beautiful day for riding.

Rode the Baylands on Saturday with the family on the Steven's Creek Trail from Landels school to the boathouse and back. Fortunately, the wind was blowing most of the Redwood City auto parts fire away from us. Mmmm, I love the smell of burning brakes on a Saturday afternoon - I thought our new dryer was malfunctioning.
Old 04-09-07, 02:33 PM
K&M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday, we hauled out the tandem and did the Davis 12 Hour Challenge. No other tandems showed up, so we could have won the tandem division by just riding around the block, but instead we (stupidly?) fought the hills and winds for the full 12 hours and finished with 213 miles. The addition of Cobb Mtn. and the hard head winds made our double century time almost half an hour slower than our Davis Double time. The final run south to Winters was particularly painful!

Sunday, we ate two breakfasts each at Cafe Bernardo.

I thought Davis was supposed to be the tandem captitol of the universe. Where was everybody? Or are you all just too smart to do something like that on a windy day?
Old 04-09-07, 02:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by K&M
Saturday, we hauled out the tandem and did the Davis 12 Hour Challenge. No other tandems showed up, so we could have won the tandem division by just riding around the block, but instead we (stupidly?) fought the hills and winds for the full 12 hours and finished with 213 miles. The addition of Cobb Mtn. and the hard head winds made our double century time almost half an hour slower than our Davis Double time. The final run south to Winters was particularly painful!

Sunday, we ate two breakfasts each at Cafe Bernardo.

I thought Davis was supposed to be the tandem captitol of the universe. Where was everybody? Or are you all just too smart to do something like that on a windy day?
Congrats on the ride and performance.
Old 04-09-07, 03:22 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Ended up not riding on Sunday. Saturday was too painful to re-live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.