Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped hex bolt of my SPD, anyway to change the bolt out?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 04:53 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Old 04-20-22, 06:09 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
You could expoxy a hex wrench in there. And unless it's a very long hex wrench than you can cut some off of, use a "sacrificial wrench". Of course, be certain not to get expoxy where you don't want it! Could also see if a torx wrench might have enough "grab: to turn it out.
Old 04-20-22, 06:19 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
A very common 1st attempt is to hammer in a slightly oversized Torx bit.
I’ve had good luck welding a nut onto stripped screws, but the size and depth of recess makes that a less than ideal option here. Drilling the head off should work a treat, but only If you also can remove that part later to get to the shank of the screw to remove the rest later.
Likes For dabac:
Old 04-20-22, 06:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Can't help with how to replace it, but keeping all the pivet points clean and lubed on these pedals will help them last and last, and help avoid the stiffness that may have caused this happening.
Once in a while I use a rag and screwdriver to clean out debris and lube. Chain oil, wd40, it all works. Wd40 is good because the spray gets into crevices and can flush stuff out.
I'm always amazed how my early 90s shimano spd's still function.

Good luck. I rarely adjust the tension, prefer the lower setting anyway, so after cleaning well to reduce friction, you might get away with one of the techniques mentioned and then just leave it.

Is it tensioned too tight or too loose? If too tight, a general good clean and lube may all that is needed.
Likes For djb:
Old 04-20-22, 06:47 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 409 Posts
I would first try a torx, then epoxy in a hex, and if that somehow did not work then an Easy Out screw extractor.
Old 04-20-22, 07:08 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27527633561...gAAOSwdU5iXODf
Old 04-20-22, 08:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
What's stripped, the threads or the hex socket?

If the socket, then are you trying to use a ANSI size hex key that almost fits in a metric socket? Use the correct metric size.

If the threads, then you do realize that is a captive bolt and that it will not come out of that hole. So maybe not stripped. But if it is stripped, you are going to have to remove the top plate. Then take a small screwdriver or something and wedge underneath the opposite end of the screw while you turn the screw with the hex key.

But you are unlikely to find a proper replacement for that screw unless you have other of the same pedals that are scrapped.