Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

A reintroduction and a question about frames

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 09:13 PM
StephenDedalus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, folks. Long time, no talk. I was thinking of where to get some advice on my current situation and stumbled on this very generous thread from over 14 years ago where folks talked about my wife and my weight loss.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...ess-story.html

That generosity people here showed my wife and I moved me to come back here to ask my question.

So I am the guy in that thread. I lost 170lbs in my early 20s by biking and eating better. Unfortunately in 2008 I was hit by a car and it took me years to recover physically and emotionally from that. For about 8 years I would have what are called intrusive thoughts about cars hitting me at almost every intersection. It took a while to get over that.

I kept biking, but I packed on the weight again slowly and I’m currently making another big push. I ride an eBike these days (Tern) along with a Brompton.

The reason for the Brompton is because I enjoy traveling with my bike. The Tern was because I was having trouble with knee pain getting on my bike at the time and decided I wanted to try a bike with lower step-over height. That’s largely worked, but I don’t find the bike that comfortable for long rides.

That brings me to my question. I’m considering selling the Tern and getting a more traditional eBike or adding another bike. My big hang up is I still want a bike with lower step-over height, but that can handle my current weight (over 330lbs). It’s sad to report in that I gained back so much weight, but life happens and I’m doing my best. Now I need some help. I need recommendations on sturdy bikes with a mixte frame or something like that. eBikes preferred, but I’m open.
Old 06-24-22, 10:20 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have very limited knowledge on E-bikes, my daughter gifted me a Rad Power Cycle City 5. It is a nice enough E-bike but it is really heavy, about 65 lbs. The rad models come in either a sloping top tube or a step through model. I would have preferred a step through model. Its hard for me to get leg over the saddle since I won't tip it over as much because of the weight. After riding it a bit, I decided that I didn't care for E-bikes too much, its kinda fun but I like getting places under my own power.

There is an E-bike sub forum that may have some suggestions for an E-bike that will handle your weight.