Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dealing with a flat spot on a tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-22, 04:49 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

I had a spare rear wheel that was sitting for a little while sort of get a flat spot on it. Is that something that will work itself out or will it not go away?
Old 11-17-22, 05:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Unless it's been sitting there for a long time and the tire rubber is dried and stiff, it'll fix itself fast enough when you fill it to pressure and ride.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-17-22, 08:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,312 Posts
A sometimes thing is when a bike sits around for a long time and the tires have bled down in pressure so much that the tire's beads become unseated. Then the bike is pulled out and the tires are inflated to some pressure but the beads don't seat fully right away (and there are a few reasons why). If the lack of seating is with the bead "sucked" down in the rim it seems like a flat spot. Andy
Old 11-18-22, 09:31 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A sometimes thing is when a bike sits around for a long time and the tires have bled down in pressure so much that the tire's beads become unseated. Then the bike is pulled out and the tires are inflated to some pressure but the beads don't seat fully right away (and there are a few reasons why). If the lack of seating is with the bead "sucked" down in the rim it seems like a flat spot. Andy
And in many cases, when you pump it up and ride it, the tire will re-seat and the bump will go away. The forces of flexing the tire with every revolution of the wheel serve to massage the beads back into place.
Old 11-18-22, 02:09 PM
Wallonthefloor

I rode it and it was a short ride, one offroad bump and it officially went flat. Im going to have to pull out the tube and see what happened. Perhaps a pinch flat I was running PSI 10 under.
Old 11-18-22, 05:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,312 Posts
Low tire pressures would lend support for my suggestion. If the tire beads did come off the rim's seating ledge too low a pressure (on reinflating the tire) might not have been sufficient to lift the beads back up and onto the ledge. So both a "low spotted" (as in unseated) tire and a pinch flat fit this possibility. Andy
Old 11-18-22, 07:37 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I rode it and it was a short ride, one offroad bump and it officially went flat. Im going to have to pull out the tube and see what happened. Perhaps a pinch flat I was running PSI 10 under.
"10 under" what? if the tire is a 45 lb. max pressure tire, 10 lbs. under is A LOT....
Old 11-18-22, 08:28 PM
Wallonthefloor

90 Psi Vittoria Zaffiro 28c I think I rode it at 80psi. I probably should have done a little more than just pumping it up.
Old 11-20-22, 10:19 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
90 Psi Vittoria Zaffiro 28c I think I rode it at 80psi. I probably should have done a little more than just pumping it up.
Did you hit something and feel what might have caused a pinch flat? Just having lower pressures is only a pinch flat issue if you actually hit something. I can easily imagine the tube being pinched under the tire bead because the tire wasn't properly seated, but that is not a pinch flat.