Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Will a Topeak trunk bag and Ortlieb panniers fit on a bike at the same time?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 11:54 PM
destro713

Bikes: Frankenstein 1980 (?) Takara 1x7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a set of Ortliebs and I'm thinking about buying a Topeak MTX quick release trunk bag. I won't necessarily need to use them together (my most frequent use will be just the trunk bag, to carry my lunch, a jacket, and a couple small tools to work), but I'm on the fence about which Topeak bag to get. If they can be used together, I'll definitely go for the trunk bag without fold-out panniers since it saves $20 and I could just use it in conjunction with the Ortliebs when I need the most storage. If they can't be used together though, the ones with fold-out panniers become more of an option for the rare times when the main section of the trunk bag isn't enough for a commute.

FYI, my panniers are the Back Roller Free and I'm looking at the Topeak DX and DXP bags.
Old 06-26-18, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Tubus Logo rack, & it will be no problem
Old 06-26-18, 11:44 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
From your description, a fifteen buck basket on the front will suffice.
Old 06-26-18, 12:00 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Fietsbob is right, but probably not helpful. If you're not getting a Topeak rack, there's not much point in getting a Topeak bag. If you are getting a Topeak rack, I recommend a Super Tourist: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...c)-(w-o-spring)

With that 2nd, lower rail, you can use the Topeak bag and panniers. And not just the Topeak bag. There are all kinds of loads that are wider than the width of the rack which will fit a little better with your panniers moved down an inch. Without that 2nd rail, I do not think you use the bag and panniers at the same time. However, I only tried it with the bag that has the fold-out panniers, which may be a little wider than the bag without.

But, I would recommend the Topeak with the fold out panniers as a commuter bag. Yes, it's more expensive, and the bags aren't cheap to begin with, but it's a pretty regular occurrence for me to find myself stopping for something on the way home and loading up those panniers, or finding that there's something at work I need to carry home. Of course the Ortleibs will easily and more handily serve the same purpose if you remembered to bring them, but fold out panniers are there all the time. Also pick up the waterproof cover and keep it in the bag. None of it will be as roomy or as waterproof as an Ortleib bag, but for commuting, it's pretty handy.
Old 06-26-18, 02:28 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I agree with Rob E. Get the fold out panniers and a Topeak rack. Many times I’m carrying outer layers in one pannier when there are variable temps during the day. Almost never use both panniers.
Old 06-26-18, 04:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6296 Post(s)
Liked 4,333 Times in 2,429 Posts
Originally Posted by destro713
I have a set of Ortliebs and I'm thinking about buying a Topeak MTX quick release trunk bag. I won't necessarily need to use them together (my most frequent use will be just the trunk bag, to carry my lunch, a jacket, and a couple small tools to work), but I'm on the fence about which Topeak bag to get. If they can be used together, I'll definitely go for the trunk bag without fold-out panniers since it saves $20 and I could just use it in conjunction with the Ortliebs when I need the most storage. If they can't be used together though, the ones with fold-out panniers become more of an option for the rare times when the main section of the trunk bag isn't enough for a commute.

FYI, my panniers are the Back Roller Free and I'm looking at the Topeak DX and DXP bags.
I don't see why they shouldn't. The panniers should mount on the rack fine. The bag slides into a channel which shouldn't even be close to the mountain hardware for the bag. It would be best to actually test it before you buy but it should work.

While the Tubus rack is a much better rack than the Topeak, I really wish that there was a way to put the Topeak mount on a Tubus rack. I wish that Topeak even sold their mount separately so that I could adapt it to a Tubus rack.

On the other hand, Ortlieb sells a very clever trunk bag with mount system that should work quite well with panniers. Yea,it's expensive but it will probably last decades. I use the Ortlieb adapter system and a Rack Time Trunk-it which is similar to the Odin. I ditched the Racktime mount and used an Ortlieb basket mount to cobble together a quick mount rear rack bag. I've been using it for about 15 years without any issue. Even on off-road bike packing trips, the bag has never come off nor loose.

If I had to do it now, I'd probably go with the newer mounting system, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-26-18, 04:16 PM
destro713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already have the basic Explorer rack. Picked it up specifically to use a Topeak QR trunk bag—I only ended up picking up the Ortliebs first because of the timing of the REI Memorial Day sale, which knocked about $55 off.

Even if I hadn't bought the Explorer yet, the Tubus is out of my price range.
Old 06-26-18, 04:36 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don't see why they shouldn't. The panniers should mount on the rack fine. The bag slides into a channel which shouldn't even be close to the mountain hardware for the bag. It would be best to actually test it before you buy but it should work.

While the Tubus rack is a much better rack than the Topeak, I really wish that there was a way to put the Topeak mount on a Tubus rack. I wish that Topeak even sold their mount separately so that I could adapt it to a Tubus rack.

On the other hand, Ortlieb sells a very clever trunk bag with mount system that should work quite well with panniers. Yea,it's expensive but it will probably last decades. I use the Ortlieb adapter system and a Rack Time Trunk-it which is similar to the Odin. I ditched the Racktime mount and used an Ortlieb basket mount to cobble together a quick mount rear rack bag. I've been using it for about 15 years without any issue. Even on off-road bike packing trips, the bag has never come off nor loose.

Used their new trunk and handlebar bag last week on tour....new mounting system is the bees knees.

Old 06-30-18, 07:44 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
My wife uses a Topeak trunk bag on her "around town" bike. She has a Topeak rack and uses a pair of Ortlieb Packer Plus panniers with the trunk bag. It should work unless something has changed in the last several years.
Old 06-30-18, 08:25 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I used pretty much this exact setup when I started bike touring except I had the rolltop waterproof Topeak trunk bag. Same rack and Ortlieb panniers. Without the lower rail for your panniers to hook onto, sometimes the bag needed a little micromanaging to get it to slide on, but it was never a hassle. The DX or DXP might be easier, depending on how much the sides are raised from the MTX rail on the bottom.

I started out bike touring and bike commuting in Japan where import taxes and 'ooh, check out this fancy European brand' distributor markups are out of control. Topeak is one of the few readily available brand with reasonable prices. I used that rack and trunk bag for a long long time, and a friend used the same rack and the trunk bag with flip down panniers for many thousands of miles with no issues.
Old 06-30-18, 09:54 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Used their new trunk and handlebar bag last week on tour....new mounting system is the bees knees.
I'm waiting for them to sell the hardware for the mounting system so I can adapt other bags. I love the mount but hate all the bags they have put them on.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-30-18, 07:52 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

What is your wheel setup? Do you have more spokes on the back then the front or is that just an optical illusion?
Old 07-06-18, 11:03 AM
destro713

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up going with the model with fold-out panniers after remembering the times I used my old Banjo Brothers trunk bag (which was eventually stolen) to do small grocery trips when the weather was just on the edge of needing a jacket, and then wished I could fit both my jacket and my groceries in the bag on the way back. Very specific case, but the difference was only about $10 in the end for the DXP vs. the DX.

BTW, nobody should consider the EX and EXP models. Having the expandable gusset that lets you fit an extra few inches of height in the rear part of the bag has been HUGELY helpful already and I've only used this bag for 2 days.
Old 07-24-23, 06:47 PM
fstearns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I had known about that second rail thing. I got the Surley rack for my Disc Trucker and I just got Ortlieb panniers and while I like them - I'm bummed my trunk bag won't fit now. Live and learn.
Old 07-24-23, 09:16 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Topeak Omni QuickTrack Adapter https://a.co/d/gGbs5L3
I have one on a 1975 Raleigh Sports that has a period correct Schwinn rack on it. The mounting kit is iffy but if you are half way handy you can make it work on about anything

Last edited by plumberroy; 07-24-23 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-25-23, 04:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Five year old thread resurrected.
Old 07-25-23, 08:11 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by plumberroy
Topeak Omni QuickTrack Adapter https://a.co/d/gGbs5L3
I have one on a 1975 Raleigh Sports that has a period correct Schwinn rack on it. The mounting kit is iffy but if you are half way handy you can make it work on about anything
Look at the date of the post before you reply. The adapter you linked to is available today. It wasn’t 5 years ago.