Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The best fender line awards!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The best fender line awards!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 06:49 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
An alternative to filing the front edge of the fork crown to gain a little more clearance under the crown is to dimple the fender where it meets the front of the crown so that the front of the crown won't push down on the fender. You can do this with a simple homemade press made from M5 or M6 threaded rod, a bunch of fender washers, and some M5/M6 nuts. Fasten the press to the daruma bolt hole in the fender, tighten it up so that the fender washers flatten out the fender, and push forward to make that dimple parallel with the crown. Concept illustrated here:

The end product:

And you know when you've dimpled it to the right angle when you fasten the fender at the fork crown and don't fasten it to the stays. It should hang in proper alignment from just the daruma bolt. Notice in this photo the stays are not bolted to the dropout eyelets:
Yep, this is how I do it. I think I learned this technique from a Hidetaka Hirose youtube video several years ago. Hirose was one of the masters.
Likes For lonesomesteve:
Old 03-29-21, 01:02 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 558 Posts
The fender lines on my Gitane are good enough for my standards, but not as sublime as some others in this thread. It's fun to play along nonetheless. The rear fender ends are just a little bit wide to allow for rear wheel removal/install while inflated.

Old 08-02-21, 07:43 PM
Jasongrace313

Bikes: 82 John Howard built by Dave Moulton, 06 Lemond Croix de Fer, 85 trek 620, Trek Fx 7.2, Giant escape 2, Gt Karakoram, Electra Townie 7D,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 34 Posts
Fantastic work bike people! I've only done SKS Chromoplasts which were pretty much bolt-on, up until now. I love the perfect radiuses!
My fingers are killing me from radiusing fenders today but I'd rather it take me some time to get them right than to rush and install them to find something I don't like.
Likes For Jasongrace313:
Old 08-06-21, 08:44 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Don't have many pics, but here's 2 of mine: Giles Berthet SS fenders on my Grand Jubile, mounted by Corey Thompson, now a frame builder of note in Olympia, WA, but back then was wrenching for Bill Stevenson at "The Bike Stand" shop in Olympia, have not touched them since as don't want to mess up his work. 2nd is one of my better efforts, hammered Honjo's on my Expedition Touring. Don

Grand Jubile, Fenders by Corey Thompson

1984 Expedition

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 08-06-21 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Spelling/grammar
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 08-06-21, 12:45 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Whoop, whoop, whoop! Call the Fender Police. I think we might have a violator here.

Velo-Orange snakeskin fenders on my '87 Schwinn Le Tour 650b conversion.

By the way the other bikes featured here are absolutely stunning. Just gorgeous! Great job getting the fender line just right.
Likes For smurfy:
Old 08-07-21, 08:05 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
Yep, this is how I do it. I think I learned this technique from a Hidetaka Hirose youtube video several years ago. Hirose was one of the masters.
Because I’m a nut, and I didn't have any threaded rod on hand, I made a tool for this purpose. Drop a bolt through the cylinder, give it one hard whack with a hammer, get back a perfect 73deg indent. I also made forms for indenting for stays and fork blades.

Likes For fliplap:
Old 08-07-21, 04:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm not confident enough to enter any of my bikes in the contest, but I'm pretty sure my fender lines are better than this dude's.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-21-21, 11:02 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I had to come to this thread for some motivation. I just got some fenders for my Tripper which I thought should be simple to install. Somehow everything went wrong today haha. After a trip to the hardware store I said I'll tackle the job tomorrow (which I guess is now technically today as it just hit midnight).

Went into it hoping for lines like those posted here. Hiccup after hiccup got me considering zip ties and duct tape at one point I'll try again tomorrow now that I have the hardware sorted (I think).
Likes For rumstove:
Old 08-21-21, 11:25 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by rumstove
I had to come to this thread for some motivation. I just got some fenders for my Tripper which I thought should be simple to install. Somehow everything went wrong today haha. After a trip to the hardware store I said I'll tackle the job tomorrow (which I guess is now technically today as it just hit midnight).

Went into it hoping for lines like those posted here. Hiccup after hiccup got me considering zip ties and duct tape at one point I'll try again tomorrow now that I have the hardware sorted (I think).
Which fenders?
Old 08-21-21, 11:37 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Which fenders?
PDW Full metals. Fenders look great, hardware that came with them would work for 99% of the bikes out there but I ran into a few problems with my Tripper. Hopefully all is now sorted out for a second try!
Likes For rumstove:
Old 08-22-21, 08:45 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Originally Posted by rumstove

One more trip to the hardware store today but got the fenders on! Finished after dark so photos tomorrow.
Likes For rumstove:
Old 08-23-21, 01:21 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Always liked this one, it pops up on Instagram from time to time. I believe I follow you as well.
that sounds creepy

Likes For thook:
Old 08-23-21, 10:42 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

I'm happy with the results, especially the rear fender. PDW Full Metals. Still need to cut off the extra bit of the bolt on front. Had a few struggles here and there but worked through them. Hopefully they aren't too out of place in this thread haha.

Likes For rumstove:
Old 08-26-21, 03:31 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Thought a photo of a fendered bike
was never a thing to me
but old Flickr pics, they tell the truth:
Sweet Fender Line - see?

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-22-21, 04:30 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

The fenderline on my CC is great, I think I'm going to pull them and go back to big tires

Last edited by Germany_chris; 12-22-21 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-22-21, 06:27 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Is there a prize for shortest fender line? I present 6 inches of pure goodness (at least, that's what I tell my partner).

Old 12-23-21, 12:24 PM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

The fenderline on my CC is great, I think I'm going to pull them and go back to big tires
Are those the biggest it’ll fit with the fenders?
Old 12-23-21, 12:32 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Are those the biggest it’ll fit with the fenders?
The brakes are the limiting factor, I could go about 10mm bigger but meh
Old 12-23-21, 01:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Is there a prize for shortest fender line? I present 6 inches of pure goodness (at least, that's what I tell my partner).

this might be an unanswerable question, but... did this fender-ette do anything? ... beyond the obvious "It gave them a place to mount a tiny devil"?

I'm also trying to recall if the tiny front and rear fenders of the 70's (or so) did anything beyond keeping a bit of crud out of the headset bearings.

I will note that it is not just bikes that can sport a tiny devil. I've seen a Sopwith Snipe biplane with a red devil mounted on the barrel of one machine gun....

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-23-21, 01:07 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
One of my builds since my previous post was this Van Tuyl. I bought it on a whim as a cheap frame with eyelets to build it into a cheap and cheerful bad weather bike. Well, it certainly didn't turn out cheap.

While there are eyelets, there's no room to speak of for decently wide tires, let alone fenders. To get anywhere close to meeting my comfort goals I had to resort to expensive 25 mm tires and even more expensive really thin aluminum fenders.

Old 12-23-21, 01:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
this might be an unanswerable question, but... did this fender-ette do anything?
Italian fenders for racing bikes were mostly 3 pieces, 1 rear and 2 in front. When training, all pieces were present, for racing, the would remove the large rear and front pieces and leave the shorty. The picture below is Cino Cinelli wearing pink in the 1939 Giro sporting a shorty.

I assume the front does something to prevent crap from hitting the riders face otherwise why would any front fender extend beyond the front brake? In Italy, the front happened to be 2 pieces instead of one, leaving the shorty on posed no disadvantage, why not keep it on? But as soon as there was more tarmac and less gravel/dirt, you see fenders go away.

Gazzetta2 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 12-23-21, 10:06 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
There's no fenderline like a factory fenderline. Too late model?

Old 12-24-21, 12:09 AM
wschellen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 32 Posts

80’s Romic 650b conversion.
Likes For wschellen: