Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone running tubs + sealant?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 05:49 AM
flik9999

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey so I have got my new wheelset, they are tubs however so I cant change a flat that easily although im terrible at that anyway. So a lot of people have told me stuff like "tubs are only for racign when you have a car running behind you with about 3 spare wheels". But iv noticed that you can get this sealant that apparantly repairs your tub for you, you squirt it up into the tyre and it fixes it for you. Anyone done this?

Alternativly are there any bomb proof tubular tyres that never really get punctures like marathon plus in a tubular version?

Im currently running continental tufo tubular tyres not sure how good they are but continental make good puncture resistant clinchers so guess these might be ok.

Links to sealant below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vittoria-...0AAOSwAH1ZhEN9

This one claims that it will give you 3 months of puncture self sealing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUFO-Seal...AAAOSwB09YNZVz
Old 07-12-18, 06:20 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
One of my pairs of race wheels use tubulars with sealant. I train with clincher tires and latex tubes with sealant.

Sealant hasn't worked that well for me until the tire deflates a significant amount, but it's gotten me back to where I need to be a couple of times. I have been able to save a tubular on at least two different occasions, though, after getting it home and putting more sealant in it. So in that way it's been quite effective at saving some money and hassle. And you can always carry a little tube of sealant with you if that worried about it. Stans makes some handy little bottles that'll stash in a pocket or seat bag.

Continental is one brand of tires and Tufo is another brand of tires. You'll have to redo sealant ever few months no matter what the brand as it will dry up and cease to be effective.

Changing a tubular is generally a lot easier than changing a clincher in regards to roadside repair. Just pull one off and put the other back on (that should have a layer of glue on it already). Don't take any corners too hot. Some clinchers can be absolutely diabolical to change on some rims involving broken levers and the muttering of many an oath.
Old 07-12-18, 06:30 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
There are two kinds of sealant usage: always and just after a puncture. The emergency applicator like Pit Stop is for after a flat to seal, partially reinflate, and get you gong again. The regular sealant is like what is used in tubeless tires. You have to have removable valve cores to inject the tubeless tire sealant. That would be a better bet. But the Pit Stop worked for me once, but then failed me a couple of times. When there was a tear at the base of the valve stem, I don’t suppose anything would have help in those cases. Bottom line, the Pit Stop comes in a really small can that you can tape behind your seat post. Can’t hurt or give it a try. If you aren’t satisfied with it, you can alway inject sealant as a preventative.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 07-12-18 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 10:42 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I had poor results with Tufo sealant- prone to a stringy valve-clogging mess.

Stan's has been better.
Old 07-12-18, 11:00 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Last month I had a tubular that developed a slow leak and turned into a fast leak. Putting it in water to locate the leak I learned it was coming from the bottom of the tire somehow. Possibly a pinch flat, who knows. There was no puncture on the outside of the tire.

I carry a little 2oz bottle of Stan's sealant in my jersey pocket on rides, used it and squeezed 1oz in the tire and it's been perfectly fine since then. Totally sealed.
Old 07-12-18, 11:34 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a set of tubular race wheels that I sealed with Effetto Mariposa sealant. Been very happy with it. Started using it on clincher tubes as well.
Old 07-12-18, 01:15 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Sadly, the prevalence of seasonal goatheads in my area has forced me to resort to the extreme measures of running tire liners, which help but don't completely eliminate flats, and using sealant in my tubes. On one bike that sees a lot of use and that has flat-prone tires, I'm actually running double tire liners with sealant. My incidence of flats have been sharply reduced by these measure but alas, still not completely eliminated.
You can't put liners in tubulars.
Old 07-12-18, 02:29 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would think more pro tour riders would be riding with sealant in their tubs. I can't imagine being a sprinter in the TdF and flatting on a stage 2 miles from the finish. Sealant should work just as well in tubs as in my tubeless tires and I don't get flats on the road anymore. Anything short of a long tear in the tire should be a non-event.
Old 07-12-18, 02:35 PM
Lazyass

I read that some pro's use sealant in races like Paris-Roubaix.
Old 07-12-18, 02:38 PM
Lazyass

Here ya go.

This may be the most debated subject when it comes to conquering the cobbles. Many teams have begun using sealant in recent years. Others contend that liquid latex doesn’t help much on the cobbles, as most punctures are pinch flats. Of the 16 teams I spoke to, seven were using sealant and nine weren’t. That’s actually a surprisingly even split.

None of the teams were eager to talk about what product they were using in the tires. But I did spot Stan’s liquid latex and Vittoria Pit Stop canisters in several trucks.

https://www.velonews.com/2012/04/bik...running_212925
Old 07-12-18, 03:17 PM
flik9999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so seams like a bottle of stans will deal with any city problems ill face such as small bits of glass or bad tarmac. My tyres are continental giro not tufo. Looks like anything that will **** up an inner tube can be dealt with just by squirting more sealant in?
Old 07-12-18, 03:47 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by flik9999
Thanks so seams like a bottle of stans will deal with any city problems ill face such as small bits of glass or bad tarmac. My tyres are continental giro not tufo. Looks like anything that will **** up an inner tube can be dealt with just by squirting more sealant in?
Yeah, as long as you don't get a huge hole. Just carry a little 2oz bottle of Stan's with you and use half if it to seal one tire.
Old 07-12-18, 07:15 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup. Orange Seal in Veloflex roubaixs. Highly recommended. Saved me a podium in one race.
Old 07-13-18, 01:50 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by onyerleft
I'm not running tubulars.
This thread is about tubular tires, not clinchers.
Old 07-13-18, 03:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Reading is fundamental.
Old 07-13-18, 07:54 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-13-18, 08:02 PM
Karman321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I’ve had great success with specialized hell of the north tire in tubular 28mm I believe most ‘pave’ marketed or tire marketed for the cobblestones should be durable enough. And yes the sealant works magic, I use orange sealant it’s amazing so far! Repaired a few flats I had with much more delicate (also 110 grams lighter each!!) tires.
Old 07-14-18, 08:53 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I've been using orange seal in 25mm conti sprinters on rough roads, gravel, and commuting.

So far no problem, but I rarely flat the GP 4000 or Michelin clinchers either, so maybe it's too early to tell.
Old 07-14-18, 05:32 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've had decent results with Bontrager TLR 2 oz as roadside sealant. After using it on a flat I found the tire actually held air better than before. But I did have a flat on another tire it struggled with. I also have some Orange Seal I haven't used, as flats on tubs don't seem that common, at least compared to clincher conti GP 4000Sii I was using before making the switch to tubs.

scott s.
Old 07-15-18, 10:51 AM
flik9999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karman321
So far I’ve had great success with specialized hell of the north tire in tubular 28mm I believe most ‘pave’ marketed or tire marketed for the cobblestones should be durable enough. And yes the sealant works magic, I use orange sealant it’s amazing so far! Repaired a few flats I had with much more delicate (also 110 grams lighter each!!) tires.
Do 28mm need a special rim or can I throw them on my wheels the tubs I have are HED Stinger 5.0 50mm aero rim.
Old 07-15-18, 02:50 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I run tubeless tubulars from Clement (now Donnelly) not Tufo. In the last 4 years of running them I’ve had one puncture that required changing and that was when I pushed a worn out tire one ride too far. I use Orange Seal selant in them up until this year when I switched to the new Finish Line sealant that doesn’t dry out. Compared to clinchers where I used to get 6 or so punctures a year, this is heaven.

The additional benefit to this type of construction is that you can use those tubeless repair kits that allow you to plug a puncture without taking the tire off. Dynaplug is one manufacturer this kind of product.

I also have a bike set up with tubeless clinchers. The gap in performance is definitely getting smaller but the clinchers are still heavier and less supple.
Old 07-15-18, 02:53 PM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
YES
caffelatex in vittoria tubulars

works great. year+ between problem punctures. I ride with clincher guys who flat tubes every few weeks...

have used the caffelatex espressor (pit stop equivalent) to save a few rides over the years also
Old 07-15-18, 05:22 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by bikebreak
YES
caffelatex in vittoria tubulars

works great. year+ between problem punctures. I ride with clincher guys who flat tubes every few weeks...

have used the caffelatex espressor (pit stop equivalent) to save a few rides over the years also
Curious about what happens if you don’t use sealant. I would guess that a big source of flats in tubed clinchers is pinch flats. Going to a tubular virtually eliminates these because of the rim design. I’ve always wondered how that would work out with tubed tubulars.

J.
Old 07-15-18, 06:18 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80

Curious about what happens if you don’t use sealant. I would guess that a big source of flats in tubed clinchers is pinch flats. Going to a tubular virtually eliminates these because of the rim design. I’ve always wondered how that would work out with tubed tubulars.

J.

I carry a little bottle of Stans, but only add it if necessary.
Had a flat last year, but put on the spare & patched the tire later.
Last used the sealant several years ago.
It's a bit of a mess, & a bigger puncture will seal but then leak again down to lower pressure
if you roll over a sharp rock right on the puncture site.
Old 07-15-18, 07:08 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I carry a little bottle of Stans, but only add it if necessary.
Had a flat last year, but put on the spare & patched the tire later.
Last used the sealant several years ago.
It's a bit of a mess, & a bigger puncture will seal but then leak again down to lower pressure
if you roll over a sharp rock right on the puncture site.
what about number flats vs clinchers without sealant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.