Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seatpost bolt, Campy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Seatpost bolt, Campy

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 06:14 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Seatpost bolt, Campy

I need to replace the bolt on a Campy single bolt post. Should I just buy a bolt that fits at the hardware, or does it need to be something special? Thanks.

(edit) A quick check online informs me that this isn’t going to be easy to find. Maybe a new post is in order.
I believe the size is M8 x 35 mm fine thread. Can anyone confirm that? And if a source is known, I am all ears.

Last edited by due ruote; 09-12-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 07:47 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
They’re a very odd thread. Every blue moon during a solar flare, if you get lucky, eBay’s crystal ball gets a hit.

I see there’s a few listed now started at $25-ish. If it’s M8x1.0 pitch then try Amazon or Home Depot. I saw 50mm length on Amazon.

Last edited by miamijim; 09-12-22 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 09-12-22, 08:49 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I need to replace the bolt on a Campy single bolt post. Should I just buy a bolt that fits at the hardware, or does it need to be something special? Thanks.

(edit) A quick check online informs me that this isn’t going to be easy to find. Maybe a new post is in order.
I believe the size is M8 x 35 mm fine thread. Can anyone confirm that? And if a source is known, I am all ears.

That sucks, is the broken piece stuck in the cradle?

We had this a few weeks ago on an older version with the regular hex head bolt, snapped just like this once the OP was able to get a hold of it right proper.

I have one that was slipping and wouldn't tighten enough. I got it apart, cleaned and burnished? the threads on the wire wheel, anti-seize and a well fitting 6 point wrench FTW.

Seems like these and many others need to be serviced better, more often if we want them to keep going.
Old 09-12-22, 10:53 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by merziac

That sucks, is the broken piece stuck in the cradle?

We had this a few weeks ago on an older version with the regular hex head bolt, snapped just like this once the OP was able to get a hold of it right proper.

I have one that was slipping and wouldn't tighten enough. I got it apart, cleaned and burnished? the threads on the wire wheel, anti-seize and a well fitting 6 point wrench FTW.

Seems like these and many others need to be serviced better, more often if we want them to keep going.
Nope, not stuck at all. In fact, I just unscrewed it with my fingers.
This one broke while I was riding - an interesting sensation. At least I found the clamp bits without too much trouble.
The bolt broke where the threads begin, which I suppose was predictable. Maybe it was over-torqued at some point.
I will probably wind up ordering a bolt from Italy. Worst part is the delay, but I guess that's why we need multiple bikes.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-13-22, 12:52 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

This one broke while I was riding - an interesting sensation. At least I found the clamp bits without too much trouble.
The bolt broke where the threads begin, which I suppose was predictable. Maybe it was over-torqued at some point.
I will probably wind up ordering a bolt from Italy. Worst part is the delay, but I guess that's why we need multiple bikes.
Excellent, as we know even and sometimes especially Campy can be cursed, sounds like it had a good run. I personally would massage all parts similar to as I outlined above.

I would also be inclined to explore a better substitute to avoid this going forward, maybe even rethread the cradle for a common bolt and maybe even add a locknut on top of the cradle.

We know from the SP binder bolts and these that Campy may not maintain fasteners at the same level as the parts and pieces themselves.

As noted in the other binder bolt thread, they are cut threads instead of rolled and from my observation not that well done IMO being sharp and jagged creating many stress risers therefore doomed to fail as they often seem to do.

The wire wheel and anti-seize or grease can go a long way towards preventing this.
Old 09-13-22, 08:02 AM
Bobjackson

Bikes: Eddy Merckx EX & Bob Jackson R:753 tubing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 16 Posts
https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/syst...d-type~socket/

Mc Master Carr, they are a good place for fasteners as in 8×1.0 seat bolt/screw.
Old 09-13-22, 01:53 PM
merziac

This is a very good workaround,

https://www.bikeforums.net/22642405-post19.html

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-13-22, 04:53 PM
due ruote 

This is a very good workaround,

https://www.bikeforums.net/22642405-post19.html

That's cool, but I think maybe that's a C-Record (?) post and what I have is a Victory. The post has a cavity where the bolt head goes so it's not visible from that view.
As luck would have it, I went to the hardware and used their thread board to determine that it is in fact a M8 x 1.0 x 35mm bolt that I need. And although they only stocked coarse thread, I was able to find one on Ebay for $7. Cool, right? Almost. Only then did I realize that I had found all the bits except the contoured thrust washer (or whatever it's called) that goes under the bolt head. I returned to the scene of the crime and did a few slow passes, but no luck finding it.
So now I am looking at this seatpost and thinking OK, I will never find one of these bits, but really how hard could it be to fab. one?
Does anyone have a Victory post laying around? I would love to see a picture of the wedge piece and get a couple measurements. I tried Velobase but keep getting security warnings, so I haven't actually seen what's there.
Old 09-13-22, 04:57 PM
merziac

That's cool, but I think maybe that's a C-Record (?) post and what I have is a Victory. The post has a cavity where the bolt head goes so it's not visible from that view.
As luck would have it, I went to the hardware and used their thread board to determine that it is in fact a M8 x 1.0 x 35mm bolt that I need. And although they only stocked coarse thread, I was able to find one on Ebay for $7. Cool, right? Almost. Only then did I realize that I had found all the bits except the contoured thrust washer (or whatever it's called) that goes under the bolt head. I returned to the scene of the crime and did a few slow passes, but no luck finding it.
So now I am looking at this seatpost and thinking OK, I will never find one of these bits, but really how hard could it be to fab. one?
Does anyone have a Victory post laying around? I would love to see a picture of the wedge piece and get a couple measurements. I tried Velobase but keep getting security warnings, so I haven't actually seen what's there.
I may have one, I'll check and see. Also might be able to fab or modify the UNO parts, maybe?

Really shouldn't be that hard to cobble something, even if temporary.
Old 09-13-22, 06:00 PM
merziac

@due ruote

Mine is the style with a slot like yours I think, has a big stout bolt, may have been changed and the little concave/flat squarish washer, its good hard stuff so....

Might be a challenge to fab a really good substitute but wouldn't stop me from trying.
Old 09-13-22, 07:28 PM
due ruote 

@due ruote

Mine is the style with a slot like yours I think, has a big stout bolt, may have been changed and the little concave/flat squarish washer, its good hard stuff so....

Might be a challenge to fab a really good substitute but wouldn't stop me from trying.
Is the concave washer alloy or steel?
Old 09-13-22, 08:04 PM
merziac

Is the concave washer alloy or steel?
Steel, serious, hard and very well made.
Old 09-14-22, 06:54 AM
due ruote 

Steel, serious, hard and very well made.
Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. I don’t really have the facility for something like that.
(Edit) I gave this a little more thought, and perhaps I will give this a go after all. I found a chunk of 1/2" steel rod laying around, and it looks like a decent fit. I do have a vice, angle grinder, files and a drill press... @merziac, if you (or someone else) are able to post a photo of the piece, that would be very helpful. If the post is installed and you don't want to unsaddle it, I get it. Thanks.

Last edited by due ruote; 09-14-22 at 08:23 AM.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-14-22, 11:08 AM
merziac

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. I don’t really have the facility for something like that.
(Edit) I gave this a little more thought, and perhaps I will give this a go after all. I found a chunk of 1/2" steel rod laying around, and it looks like a decent fit. I do have a vice, angle grinder, files and a drill press... @merziac, if you (or someone else) are able to post a photo of the piece, that would be very helpful. If the post is installed and you don't want to unsaddle it, I get it. Thanks.
Atta boy

On it, standby.

I don't think it really has to be that hard but it and the bolt on this one seem to be what you would want long term, weight weenieness not withstanding and not ever a concern for me.
Old 09-14-22, 11:27 AM
merziac

@due ruote

So yours didn't have this as it should, pic of the underside?

12 x 14mm

Old 09-14-22, 11:52 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
I tried Velobase but keep getting security warnings, so I haven't actually seen what's there.
Velobase updated their site's SSL certificate yesterday evening, so you should be able to visit it now without issue/warnings.
Old 09-14-22, 12:51 PM
due ruote 

@due ruote

So yours didn't have this as it should, pic of the underside?

12 x 14mm

Thanks a lot for posting that. I am not sure we have the same seatpost.
Mine is decidedly concave where the washer sits, which is why I mentioned trying to use round stock to make the part.
I am pretty sure mine had some type of washer in there, but I didn’t have the presence of mind to search for it when the post exploded. Probably got picked up by a car tire and is who knows where by now.
Pics:

Old 09-14-22, 12:56 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Velobase updated their site's SSL certificate yesterday evening, so you should be able to visit it now without issue/warnings.
Thanks for that.
Here's a clue to what it should look like from Velobase. It sort of looks to me like it's alloy after all.

Old 09-14-22, 01:56 PM
merziac

Thanks a lot for posting that. I am not sure we have the same seatpost.
Mine is decidedly concave where the washer sits, which is why I mentioned trying to use round stock to make the part.
I am pretty sure mine had some type of washer in there, but I didn’t have the presence of mind to search for it when the post exploded. Probably got picked up by a car tire and is who knows where by now.
Pics:

DOH! Yep, you're correct, the UNO workaround might work by turning the half round 45 degrees. I would hesitate to make one out of steel as the wedging might hack on the SP if it has to be good and tight as they usually do., I would get some alloy rod or an UNO that would have all you need to get back on the road even if you had to rework the half round to fit yours.
Old 09-14-22, 02:27 PM
due ruote 

DOH! Yep, you're correct, the UNO workaround might work by turning the half round 45 degrees. I would hesitate to make one out of steel as the wedging might hack on the SP if it has to be good and tight as they usually do., I would get some alloy rod or an UNO that would have all you need to get back on the road even if you had to rework the half round to fit yours.
Yep, I think once I get my hands on a bit of alloy rod stock, it will be a snap. I'll report back for posterity.
Old 09-14-22, 03:50 PM
due ruote 

Something compelled me to go back for one more look and voilà:

And btw it is steel.

Thanks for going along - sorry it was all for naught, but who doesn’t like a happy ending?
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-14-22, 08:26 PM
merziac

Something compelled me to go back for one more look and voilà:

And btw it is steel.

Thanks for going along - sorry it was all for naught, but who doesn’t like a happy ending?
No worries, like I said, Atta boy.

Not surprised the original is steel, I was concerned about fabbing one and having it be off enough somewhere to get stuck or blow up the program.

Factory stuff can be sneaky "oh *****, I thought it could be a little smaller, bigger, longer or shorter", snap, crackle, BANG!

Glad you found it.
Old 09-15-22, 12:47 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I'm sorry that I come to the party late. If you are still seeking a replacement bolt, Jim Merz has made some of titanium. I have one from Jim on the same seat post. I no longer worry about that seat post.

He did have a few on hand, last I knew. When he makes a custom bit (like Ti crank bolts), he generally makes a few. Ask him.

Cheers!
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-15-22 at 02:51 PM. Reason: removed non forum members email
Old 09-15-22, 04:00 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by LeicaLad
I'm sorry that I come to the party late. If you are still seeking a replacement bolt, Jim Merz has made some of titanium. I have one from Jim on the same seat post. I no longer worry about that seat post.

He did have a few on hand, last I knew. When he makes a custom bit (like Ti crank bolts), he generally makes a few. Ask him.

Cheers!
Thanks. The one I ordered is steel, grade 12.9, which is supposed to be pretty darn strong. It's black, but it won't be visible. Hoping it will suffice. I'm not very large and generally not super hard on gear.