Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 09:16 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
That build looks great and it’s good to see the SC hill country scenery!
You should find a time to come ride up here! The Greater Greenwood Area, or as the real estate and public relations folks have taken to calling it, The Lakelands, are actually pretty good cycling country. Not as built up or heavily traveled as Greenville, lots of good quiet back roads and a surprising number of gravel and fire roads as well. If you decide to do that, lemme know and I'll grab some of the more sympatico locals for a chill group ride. If you come later in the year, or maybe early next spring, I hope to have things together enough have a mixed-surface ride with a roadside brew-up included.
Old 08-25-23, 06:11 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Do miles count on an indoor trainer? I have 114 miles on my Montgomery Ward 10 speed, but the split is about 70% trainer and 30% street miles.

Picture from a Jun 17th ride
Likes For zookster:
Old 08-26-23, 05:24 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
Wasted time, Part 2 (aka Headset Story).

I’ve gone on three rides with the Super Tourer, all test rides. The inaugural ride was Saturday 8/19, 7.5 miles on what’s become my regular test ride route, Nashua River Rail Trail.

Suffice it to say that I've spent a lot of time rethinking and redoing things on this bike. Things I’ve tried, and given up, include an external cup bottom bracket & crank (chain-line off), bar end shifters (handlebar ID too small to fit), vintage brake levers (poor leverage), and a slew of rear derailleurs. Most wouldn’t work with the Huret rear dropout, one, a “direct mount” Shimano worked great until it didn’t.

Yesterday, I think I finally resolved (knock on wood) another problem that was giving me fits, the headset. I’d posted earlier about the soda can shims and non-interference fits in the headset cups, and I was “bearing in mind” USAZorro’s caution.

On the first ride, I was unhappy with the oversensitive steering, esp. compared with many other old Raleighs I’d ridden,. When I got home, I discovered the obvious, the headset top bearing race was very loose. I adjusted it until there was no play in the steerer, and retightened the lock nut.

For the second test ride, the steering started out much better, but still not what I wanted. So I decided I probably should restore the proper tight fit to the headset cups. After the ride I was removing the front fork to get started, and doggone it, the top bearing race was loose again! This time closer examination showed me that the lock nut was bottoming on the top of the steerer tube instead of the bearing race, that was why the race kept loosening. I’d neglected to install the keyed washer between the race nut and the lock nut. I found the original keyed washer and reinstalled, and the lock nut tightened against the race nut, as it should.

Ride #3, same course, the steering was much improved, felt good, I could happily ride hands free (for short stretches, I’m too old to do that for very long). My wife was walking on the rail trail while I rode, she was crossed on the trail by a black bear!

Friday 8/25 was raining all day, so I went through all my headset pieces and select-fitted some tight-fit cups. I was impressed with how many different variations of bearings and races I have collected, and I wonder what they all mean. The set I installed match, don’t look vintage anymore, but they are very smooth and adjust nicely and gradually. At any rate, I now have what, a week and a half (?) to get in another 40 miles. I think the bike is finally ready for longer rides on the road. But first I have to install fenders.
Likes For darnet:
Old 08-26-23, 08:58 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Tinkering

Day 3 of the ride portion went well - I was able to ride from my temporary digs without having to drive anywhere. This meant hills, nothing too crazy but some climbs I was doing last year with no problems. I am not to proud to say I used the 44x28 for a couple of them. Good thing I didn’t need the granny - the front cage wasn’t coming in far enough.

The Lighthouse tracks very nicely no-hands, and towards the end of the rise when a teenager in a black minivan passed within 6 inches of my left elbow I was grateful for its steady handling.

It was 13.3 miles, so I am at 56.8 km so far. Afterwards I rotated the handlebars back to where the ramps were flat again, adjusted the derailleurs, tightened the headset and trued the back wheel to proper spec.

I am genuinely enjoying getting back in shape on this bike.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-26-23, 01:05 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by zookster
Do miles count on an indoor trainer? I have 114 miles on my Montgomery Ward 10 speed, but the split is about 70% trainer and 30% street miles.

Picture from a Jun 17th ride
I hadn't considered this. With all the money at stake for these awards, I need to be fair.

Some might say trainer miles are easier, while others would say they are harder. My question is though, how are you able to measure trainer miles?
Old 08-26-23, 02:15 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I hadn't considered this. With all the money at stake for these awards, I need to be fair.

Some might say trainer miles are easier, while others would say they are harder. My question is though, how are you able to measure trainer miles?
I use Zwift while riding the trainer, and the rides are automatically saved in my Strava profile.

Last edited by zookster; 08-26-23 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add screen shot from Strava
Old 08-26-23, 04:24 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by zookster
I use Zwift while riding the trainer, and the rides are automatically saved in my Strava profile.

As long as it is measured with a reliable tool, I am good with it. This certainly qualifies.
Old 08-27-23, 05:04 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,052 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but there's still time to get the kilometers in.
I really hadn't planned on another n+1, but yesterday 8/26/23 I made a <3 hour round trip to buy an '85 Cannondale SR500 for $60. My initial thought was to use the components on another project, but after realizing that it was pretty much bone stock (except for chainrings, freewheel, toe clips/straps, tires/tubes/rim strips, maybe the saddle), I figured I might keep it around as a rider. It's on the taller side for me at 60cm, but I've always felt like a 58 Cannondale was on the short side, so whatever.

I am not sure which category this will fit into. I'm guessing "mucho-cheapo", but I'll leave that to the discretion of the challenge overlords.
A few years ago I did a clunker challenge, where I bought a bike, did the absolute minimum necessary to make it challenge roadworthy, did the 100 kilometers, essentially an 'as found' (within reason) entry.
I'm doing the same this time. No serious maintanance, no cleaning, minimal adjusting, etc, just a "barn find" kinda thing aside from the tires/tubes exemption. I mean the guy did literally drag this out of a barn when I picked it up, so....

The only things I have done are: lube chain and derailleur pivots, put a few drops of lube on the brake caliper pivots and brake lever pivots, lower saddle height/adjust angle/fore/aft, replaced rim strips/tubes/tires, installed one bar end plug, and replaced the bottle cage (the one that was on it was broken). The tires, tubes, rim strips, cage, and end cap all came from my parts stash, and i have had that stuff for what seems like forever (definitely not 2023 purchases on any of that stuff). So if I am reading the rules right, aside from the initial purchase price ($60), and tires/tubes/rim strips and bottle cage not being included in the overall expense, I have zero additional dollars invested at this point. Overlords, please correct me if my monetary total is off.

Today I went on a 49 kilometer / 30.46 mile 'test ride' (Strava recorded). Rode pretty well. Rear wheel has a small hop, but it's only really noticeable on freshly paved roads.

As purchased:

Out around town today:

snack break

Last edited by hazetguy; 08-27-23 at 06:08 PM.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 08-28-23, 12:31 PM
hazetguy 

Since time is running short in this challenge, and my week gets super busy after tomorrow, I figured I'd better get out and get some more kilometers/miles in today.
I'm going to opt for the 100km threshold, as I seriously doubt I'd hit the 100 mile mark in the remaining time.
Yesterday kinda wiped me out, so I took it easy, did a mostly flat, leisurely 38.2 kilometers / 23.74 miles (Strava recorded).
Km total to date: 87.2 Mileage to date 54.2.
Hopefully the weather will hold out tomorrow, and I can wrap up the Kms then.

Today was another fine day for a ride.
Cruising along the bike designated/separated bike path:

At the Hominy Creek River Park / beginning of the French Broad River greenway.

I got paid to ride today, ground score!

Sign for west Asheville.

On a bridge, overlooking yet another mega-condo complex construction site. Or is this one going to be a hotel? I forget. Either way, it's just more urban blight.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 08-28-23, 01:03 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
Nice grab @hazetguy ! You find some bargains for sure!

Great thing about Cannondales is because of the sleeve the French fit doesn’t look French fit.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 08-29-23, 05:18 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

I owe the group some photos of the Super Tourer build, so here are some. Captions as needed

Brakes, clockwise from top left: Home-made rear caliper reach extender; exploded view; brake lever (since changed); generic caliper (dual pivot)

Derailleurs, clockwise from top left: bin to select from; Schwinn Le Tour (approved) that didn't have enough range; Shimano Direct Mount that could have killed me; Final Shimano with b-stop screw inserted backwards

Assortment of headset pieces

Shows 2 key elements: 1) Ugly stem & quill adapter; 2) Thumb Shifters that I actually bought that are amazingly well suited for upright handlebars

First ride on actual roads; look closely to see newish brake levers instead of Dia-Compe

The ride on the road was 7-1/4 miles, bringing total up to about 30 miles; only half-way to 100 K, and company arrives today (Niece and parents, moving her back to college for the upcoming year). May have to settle for only one entry (Blue Peugeot), but we shall see if I can get a long ride in before the deadline...
Likes For darnet:
Old 08-29-23, 06:20 AM
rustystrings61 

Originally Posted by darnet

Brakes, clockwise from top left: Home-made rear caliper reach extender; exploded view; brake lever (since changed); generic caliper (dual pivot)

I LOVE the rear brake adapter. Somewhere St. Sheldon is smiling upon you!
Old 08-29-23, 06:43 PM
hazetguy 

After a day of on and off rain, I headed out this evening to get me past the required challenge 100 total kilometers.
It was raining when I started, tapered off, cleared up, rained again, all within a span of a few miles.

Anyway, about 4 miles in, I crossed some wet railroad tracks and yep, crashed into a ditch. Fortunately I was not seriously injured, just some road rash, scrapes, sore muscles, etc. My glasses got pretty beat up, so I'll be shopping for new ones in the morning. I tore my vintage TREK jersey, damaged the bar tape, and scraped up one of the brake lever hoods (which popped off the lever in the crash). Nothing on the bike was bent, as I was not going all that fast because, well, I didn't want to crash on the rr tracks, fml.

In the spirit of wanting to complete the challenge, I rode on without glasses, into more rain, etc. On my return trip after my turn around spot, I saw some geese getting drinks in the puddles. And then further down the road I saw flasing emergency lights.....at the same place I crashed. There were about a half dozen cyclists, some firemen, and the ambulance had left right before I rolled up to the scene. They were loading a bike into the back of a vehicle, and a lady was signing some paperwork. I don't know if anyone got taken away in the ambulance.

The rest of the ride was pretty bland. I had wanted to go a lot further, but my injuries were starting to annoy me and I just wanted to get home and tend to my wounds.
I did end up riding 16.48 km /10.24 mi (Strava recorded), so I did make it over the 100km mark for the challenge.
Total: 103.68 Km / 64.44 miles

Heading back into the rain.

Geese. Seeing them here tells me Fall (the season, I had already crashed) will be here soon.

The crash site.

At the end of the ride.
Old 08-30-23, 04:12 PM
pwert

Bikes: Trek 720, Lemond, Technium, Bianchi, Nishiki, Specialized Hard Rock(3), Trek 7000, Giant Sedona, Gary Fisher Momba, Schwinn Circut, Voyager+8, Panasonic, Mongoose 850, Fila, 20" Trek

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
My bike fits in several catagories. A while back I bought a '79 Ross Professional from Goodwill for $5. I saw rust and almost passed it by. But when I saw the Shimano 600 parts I bought it to strip. After stripping it The frame looked almost like my Dad's old Trek. So I built it back with old clunker parts. Then I signed up fot the American Cancer Ride a Hundred Miles in August. I rode it 4 miles every day and ended up with over 120 miles. The parts were worth about $500 and even the tires were used so my total cost was $5 ( leaving me $495 profit).
Old 08-30-23, 04:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by pwert
My bike fits in several catagories. A while back I bought a '79 Ross Professional from Goodwill for $5. I saw rust and almost passed it by. But when I saw the Shimano 600 parts I bought it to strip. After stripping it The frame looked almost like my Dad's old Trek. So I built it back with old clunker parts. Then I signed up fot the American Cancer Ride a Hundred Miles in August. I rode it 4 miles every day and ended up with over 120 miles. The parts were worth about $500 and even the tires were used so my total cost was $5 ( leaving me $495 profit).
Welcome to C&V and Bikeforums.

Can you help us visualize your experience with a picture when you get up to 10 posts?
Old 09-04-23, 11:05 AM
rustystrings61 

… almost ….

I almost bit off more than I could chew today. Nine days off the bike and I really felt it.

I had traded stems with philbob57, sending him a 90 cm 26.0 Technomic for his 25.4 110 cm. I got it out of the mailbox yesterday, shined it up with some Mother’s aluminum polish followed by some Nevr Dull, then went to a family gathering. Late last night I swapped it in, replacing the shorter SR Custom I had fished from the parts bin. I’ll want to recable the shifters for aesthetic reasons later, but it works for now and the extra inch it raised my bars was a life saver today.

I knew I’d been off the bike too long on the first climb, but I persevered and kept going, using every bit of bike lore and cycle craft I know to keep turnin’ ‘em ‘round. I was not too proud to stop for <2-minute mini-breaks along the way. I also came to rue my late start - I meant to get rolling by 8:00 and it was 9:00 when I set out.

There were other riders out and about today. I crossed paths with a young lady (at 62 they’re ALL young now) on a modern road bike, followed by a 40-ish guy who was head-down and hammering in the aero position of his tri-bike (no response to my shouts of “Allez! Allez!” as he blasted by). In Hodges I stopped for a four-minute sit down, getting a photo of Ruby the red Lighthouse in front of the old town pump.

From there I set off for Blue Jay Road, encountering a guy named Ben I used to ride with when the Greenwood Cycling Club was a going concern. We chatted briefly, then he set off down a dirt road and I pushed on.

Blue Jay Road is an old favorite. The surface is now pretty uniformly alligatored, but this bike on 32 mm Paselas glides. I took a photo while riding no-hands because I could.

Later I stopped for some pix. This is one of my very favorite places to ride in the summer as the canopy of trees makes it deliciously cool.

I crossed over into Abbeville County, site of an amazing number of great rides, and got ready for Pickens Mill Road.

Once on Pickens Mill, I settled down in the hooks for a fast descent - followed by the single most brutal climb around. It’s not super long but it is viciously steep, as in, from a standing stop in the other direction you hit 42 mph coming down it. I discovered to my horror that I had lost access to the 30T granny ring while changing things last night, so I muscled my way up (if my current level of fitness can be said to muscle up anything!) in 44x28.

Now normally I can romp up this hill riding a 70-in fixed-gear, but the last year has been exceptionally challenging and I have had very few miles - that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

I was rewarded by another long fast descent, followed by another climb. I wussed out 100 yards from the top and chilled for a minute in a farm gate entrance before finishing the climb to Dungannon and John’s Creek roads.

I looked at the time. I checked my phone, noting a message of encouragement from my wife who was using the Life360 app to see where I was. I pondered my initial plan to stay on the pavement and hit the Old Abbeville Highway and thence back. I considered how hot it had become and how little water I had remaining in the lone bidon I had brought.

I turned left onto John’s Road and added some gravel to my day.

This is another favorite. Twenty years ago I used to shock GCC members by leading them down this road, which would usually be followed by requests for more of this stuff. Today it was largely good fun despite sections where someone had added fresh gravel. The 32 mm Paselas felt great on the hardpack sections and pretty good otherwise. I was shocked to look up and see another cyclist approaching me, a guy on a road bike even. We exchanged greetings that included surprise to see someone else riding there and then I rolled on, pausing for a photo of a collapsing building. Why, yes, I DID read more 19th Century English Romantic poetry than was good for me.

Much as I love gravel, I was grateful to see pavement. I stayed in lower gears, spinning and gradually shifting up to my comfort level. When I hit Deadfall I briefly considered going left up the long slow climb to its junction with Dixie Drive or turning right to take the cut-through on Pine Drive with its shorter but steeper climb. Shorter and steeper won out, rewarding me with the relative flat of the ridge line on Pine followed by the near table top of Dixie. I was already calculating the remaining climbs - the last bit of Dixie, Northside Drive after crossing US 25, and the turn up to my temporary digs. I had forgotten that the last stretch of Northside has a lovely slight descent, and enjoyed shifting up and making some time on the way back.

I ended up with 22.7 miles for the day, or 36.5 km, bringing my total to 58 miles or 93.3 km. Now I know the challenge ends by the morning of tomorrow, September 5 - but I may treat that as by the END of the morning, or noon tomorrow. So maybe I’ll go ride laps in the old neighborhood to get in the last few kms. We’ll see.

I note that as I write this my abdominal muscles are telling me about standing on the bike; my thighs have a gentle tingle going on; I cannot get enough coffee in my system.

Even if I don’t get the mileage completed, I have no complaints. This contest inspired me to build up and ride a frame that has been languishing in a workshop or a closet for nearly two years. It has turned out to be a magical ride, an amalgamation of pretty much every bike I have ever loved. For that matter, it also inspired me to repair and sell a bike that has been kicking around for just as long, AND spurred me to build the ultimate cheap errands/beater single speed. I am content.
Old 09-04-23, 04:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Reminder:

Deadline for all the declarations/pictures, etc is tomorrow (9/5/23). If you have not already done so, please be certain to post any final pictures, mileage (or kilometerage), category or categories and if a Mucho Cheapo entry, the overall build cost. Even if you have already done so, feel free to recap.

Thanks to all for sharing your inspirations and bits of genius. My goal is to make pronouncements by EOD 9/10.
Old 09-05-23, 02:52 AM
darnet

Super Tourer Last day

I managed to get in a long ride yesterday, 22.4 miles from Nashua, NH to Ayer, MA and return. I will complete the challenge this morning when I ride to see my fitness trainer. I've shown pics of the location in previous posts, and I try not to show myself in the pics, so as not to embarass my trainer. I wanted to finish yesterday, but I couldn't get started riding until late in the afternoon, having re-replaced the headset (to no avail), then the bottom bracket. The cartridge unit became wobbly (looked good not long ago), and I had to install a conventional caged bearing style. I didn't photograph, but it was a 118mm Zeus shaft, with Sugino bearing cups. The right-side cup protrudes kind of too far, so maybe 118 was a little off, or maybe I needed a shallower cup. It worked fine though, and both crank arms were the same distance from the chainstays, so probably the latter.

Along the way yesterday I passed a couple of interesting sites.

The Super Tourer was jittery handling in the upright handlebar config. Yesterday, I realized that I had previously ridden this bike with drop handlebars and the original (shimmed) headset and had not found it jittery back then. So while riding yesterday I experimented with different hand positions on the upright handlebars, and I think the jitteriness is less with hands on top near the stem. I'm going to quickly install straight (mountain bike) handlebars before I leave this morning to get another impressions. Should be easy enough, the brakes and shifters I'm using are actually mountain bike style already. They worked great, especially the thumb shifters I used, "MicroShift TS71." Shifting up or down was the same motion, a downward press of the thumb. I was thrilled to have discovered them, they were perfect for this.

Speaking of the pre-upright riding, it was then that I fabricated the brake extender, I really wanted to use dual pivot brakes, and those that I had in my bin were too short. I tried 3D printing one, but the ABS plastic did not hold up for more than one ride, so I had to make one from aluminum. Here are pics of some designs.

I will recap the Super Tourer later this morning after I've actually completed the miles.
Likes For darnet:
Old 09-05-23, 07:18 AM
rustystrings61 

I rose early today, loading the bike onto the truck and driving to Northside Baptist Church's parking lot. I unloaded the bike, switched on the lights I had grabbed from other bikes and set out. Northside Drive is a dodgy heavily-traveled two-lane road with no shoulders even in daylight with light traffic, and I felt no need to try it in the dark, particularly when my headlamp conked out almost immediately. I opted for the sidewalk until I reached my old neighborhood, crossing over into Idlewood and making a left to make the 1.08 mile circuit going clockwise. That is admittedly the chicken route - going clockwise you get to bomb down the short sharp incline at the easternmost point, use the momentum to climb up to the northern side, then have a nice false flat until you hit the slow rise up to the entrance. I stopped a couple of times to tinker with saddle height, then with alignment. Getting that B17 straight is challenging, as over the last 23 years it has taken on an assymetrical (but still comfortable!) shape. (edit: I know the word is spelled aSymmetrical, but when it comes to saddles, maybe the misspelling is correct. Discuss amongst yourselves.)

There was a gentleman about my age walking the other way who I got to cross paths with on each circuit. On the second lap I encountered the now-retired associate pastor from our old church out walking his enormous German Shepherd. There were exactly two cars encountered on what is essentially a closed course, and of course they were polite. The Lighthouse was its usual impeccable self, the only change being the rattling of the non-functional Zefal headlamp clamped to my handlebar. Time was relatively short, I was still very much feeling yesterday's ride, and the workday loomed, so I made four circuits and called it done. My longest standing time was waiting to cross Northside a few minutes before 7:00. Once back at the truck I checked Strava and found I had 4.83 miles/7.77 km for my efforts, taking me to a grand total of 62.92 miles or 101.26 km.

Now to find the time to recable the shifters and hopefully simultaneously fix them aesthetically and reclaim use of the 30T granny ring, get some new bar tape and re-wrap the bars, purchase and install two white bottle cages and maybe even sneak the stem up another 1/2-in.

To recap - this bike goes into two categories, "From the Frame Up" and "It Started With A Part." The Lighthouse came to me as a bare frame and fork purchased from @winstonb nearly two years ago. The part that inspired the build is the T.A. Alize triple traded to me by hazetguy for a Dura-Ace rear derailleur. The current Nitto Technomic stem came in a trade with philbob57 . The mismatched but very useful wheels, dirty but functional white bar tape, RX-100 rear derailleur, bar-end shifters and 57 mm reach brake calipers came from a 1993 Bianchi Eros purchased on FB Marketplace for $40. The tires (purchased used for $20 in 2020 off the ibob list) and the 27.2 SR LaPrade seatpost came from one of my 2021 Clunker Challenge mounts. The SR 42 mm Road Champion bars were purchased in 2019 for a project that never happened. The Look pedals came from my just sold Sirrus. The B17 was purchased new in 2000 and has graced a Bianchi Alloro, a Rivendell Road Custom, a Mercian Colorado and a 1976 Puch Royal X. Cables and housings came from my friend's closed LBS. The 44T and 30T chainrings, Tange Levin headset, Stronglight bottom bracket and the new KMC 9-speed chain were eBay purchases.

(Edit: total expeditures on this bike in 2023, not counting earlier purchases, total $179.89)

This bike has vaulted to the top of my stable, and is the obvious choice for primary geared road bike. I can see myself riding it for a long time, and would even consider sending it off to Franklin Frames for a fresh paint job. It's that much fun and that versatile. It is arguably what I wanted my Rivendell to be, but with sprightlier handling and actually larger tire clearances, featuring the springiness of standard-diameter frame tubing.

As for my other entries - the Univega went quickly to a guy who needed a bike to get around, and he got a good price on it. The Trek 820 converted to drop bar single speed is earmarked for the next family beach vacation - it has Edisto Island written all over. Oddly enough, when I used it to run a short errand this weekend, I realized the concept behind it is sound, and despite the little clunks and rattles it works pretty well as a bike. Not enough kilometers on it to qualify for this event, but still well worth the time to build.

Now to get my butt into gear and get the Cannondale running for the freakshow The Horror: Junk Build, High-End-Hatchet job, Frankenbike Challenge Extravaganza ...

Last edited by rustystrings61; 09-06-23 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-05-23, 08:49 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
Well done @rustystrings61

Now for the mangling of parts and gnashing of teeth!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-05-23, 09:08 AM
hazetguy 

Here's my recap.
I guess I'm in the "Mucho Cheapo" category, self imposed sub-category of "barn find".
Original purchase price: $60.
Additonal money spent: $0
Parts replaced: tires, tubes, rim strips, bottle cage, one bar end plug, all of which were from my stash from before the begining of 2023, which I believe exempts them from the budget.
"Maintenance" performed: a few drops of lube on the brake pivot bolts/arms/springs, on the brake lever pivots, and on derailleur pivots. About 1/4 turn to the low stop on the front derailleur. Saddle height and angle adusted.
Otherwise, this was ridden in "as found" condition, literally dragged out of a barn (and almost like in a scene from Deliverance) at the time of purchase.
Total distance: 103.68 Km / 64.44 miles
# of crashes: 1

I'm happy that The Challenge is over, because I want to clean the bike, go through the mechanicals, and ride it more.

Final presentation pics:
As is, after the last Challenge ride.

original ad:

Last edited by hazetguy; 09-05-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 09-05-23, 09:52 AM
darnet

Super Tourer Epilogue

Final Bike Impressions & Lessons Learned

I managed to finishe the final 10 miles (kilometers) this morning, reaching exactly 100Km. Bike was twitchy until the end, regardless of wheels installed, or handlebar stem length, or stem angle (which I experimented with). I now believe that the twitchiness was due to the style of handlebars used. Otherwise, the bike shifted and braked beautifully. I spent more time on the big 46 tooth chainwheel than the small 36 tooth one, but I actually liked the gearing for New Hampshire. A little harsh riding (could be the 700c x 25 tires).

Lessons Learned: it’s not so easy pulling together a frame-up build (so many choices)…headset standards are a myth…direct mount rear derailleurs can be dangerous if used carelessly… simpler is often better (or at least good enough)…time is of the essence, but be patient and don’t get in a hurry

My Category Nominations for the Super Tourer:
1) Mucho-Cheapo: see official cost roundup below
2) Frankenbike: since almost all parts were missing at the start, and the only matching parts at the end are the Shimano rear derailleur/freehub. No-name brakes, MicroShift shifters, mountain brake levers, threadless stem adapter, bottom bracket cups Sugino with Zeus shaft, “Raleigh” aka SunTour Front derailleur (reverse pull), Neuvation cartridge bearing aero wheels.
3) It started with a part: I humbly nominate the Super Tourer by virtue of its side-pull brakes. I really wanted to use dual-pivot side-pull brakes, but the bike needed longer reach at the rear than the calipers I had on hand. The first thing I ever did with the bike was to spend way too much time designing, testing, and making an adapter to add reach.
4)
From the frame up: Started out as a frame and fork, so it would qualify by definition here.
5) Restoration: Might remotely qualify only because I did build it back up as an upright tourer. Admittedly it would never be a winning entry in that category, since I deliberately tried (unsuccessfully in a couple of cases) to build it as a hideous monster with modern bits, and the paint was shot. I did clean the grime off of it.

Official Cost Roundup:

Paid good money for:
Frame and Fork: $60 (Craiglist)
Shifters: MicroShift TS71, 8 Speed, August 15, 2023, Amazon, $22.31
Bin Parts Purchased in past, but prior to 2023, so by the ground rules not accounted for
Wheels: Neuvation Aero something (originally one of three wheel sets listed for $20 on Craigslist in 2022, but given to me free
Quill Adapter (Amazon July 17, 2021, originally paid $9.64)
Handlebars: Sunlight North Road (Amazon October 2021, originally paid $36.38) (I could have used harvested Gitane bars, but I liked these better)
Front Derailleur: harvested from Raleigh Super Grand Prix entire bike bought on Craigslist marketplace for $10 in summer, 2022
Bin Parts Harvested from dumpsters & dumpster bikes

Crank & bottom Bracket SR “Custom” 46-36
Rear Cluster: Shimano Hyperglide, smallest gear not used, sprockets chosen and measured for 8 speed width individually
Brake calipers: “generic” dual pivot side-pulls
Brake Levers: mountain bike style
Chain
Rear Derailleurs: ridden with no less than three - Schwinn LeTour, Shimano Direct Mount, Shimano screw put in backwards
Headset(s): 3 different ones used; original, select fit chrome, select fit mountain black
Handlebar Stem – threadless style
Seatpost and Seat
Cables and Housings
Handlebar grips

Total Eligible Costs: $60 + $22.31 = $82.31 (<$108)

Thanks Again, USAZorro, for pulling this together, hopefully next year will bring another challenge!

ET
Likes For darnet:
Old 09-05-23, 01:52 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts

FW Evans with lots of patina

I had intended to enter this bike in the full restoration category, but a lot has happened over the summer to keep that from happening. I was able to make the bike mechanically sound and put the requisite miles in. I have the decals and paint to complete the restoration, but not before the deadline. Therefore, I will present it as-is for consideration in the Mucho Cheapo category.

The bike: FW Evans, year unknown, purchased in February for $40. I didn't know what it was when I bought it, but with Campy dropouts and Nervex lugs, I guessed it had to be decent quality. It had been ridden hard and put away many years ago, so the components were in rough shape. I only salvaged the brakes, seat post, and headset. The tubular rims, derailleurs, saddle, stem and handlebars were all too far gone to reuse. I took the wheels from the Sears Free Spirit that I purchased for $27. I used derailleurs that I got from the BOC last year. All the other parts were taken from my personal stash. I have ridden about 200 miles since I got it together in May. Hopefully, this fall, I can find the time to do the paint and decals so it can cure over the winter and be ready to reassemble in the spring.

P.S. I had intended to enter my blue Marukin in the "It started with a part" category, but I am not going to get the miles in. I built the bike around a 3-speed hub, but I was never quite satisfied with the gearing or the fit, so I was more likely to hop on something else. Maybe I'll try it again next year.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 09-05-23, 09:44 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 448 Posts
So Bella is

Bella is finally a true 21-speed now - I installed a shorter BB so that the big chainring works! Got rid of the torn registration sticker (Liquid Wrench is actually a good adhesive remover). Touched up some nicks with red nail polish. I’ve been riding her this summer along with Fredo and Clem, with Bella’s odometer at 448 miles. Front brake is a Tektro R559 dual pivot side-pull, but I used a Weinmann center-pull for the rear like the original, but mounted on top of the stays, right side-up. I believe Raleigh’s name for the color is Carmine Red, and it’s beautiful. 1981 or 1982, I think, and I’m proud to put her back on the road.

Front wheel is a 30mm Vittoria Corsa Control tubular on a FiR rim with a Campagnolo Record hub. Rear is the same tire in a clincher with a Origin8 hub, but with a Campy skewer. Brifters are MicroNew 3x7, with Altus FD and Tourney RD. Soma quill adapter (in plenty far), UNC stem, Cinelli Campione Del Mondo bars in 38 cm width, wrapped with Cinelli cork/gel tape in wonderful, washable White. Shimano brake cables, Jagwire shift cables, Ibera rack and bottle cages, Suntour crank 48-38-28, Shimano 14-28 freewheel. Selle SMP TRK seat for comfort. A very mixed breed, funky, and suitable for a Fred, if I do say so myself.

Please consider Bella for both the Frankenbike and the From the frame up categories.

Black Mesa from La Mesilla
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 09-06-23, 06:33 AM
campfire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Final update on the RAGBRAI Raleigh Revival:

I've now put 841 miles on the bike. It has exceeded every expectation, mechanically and therapeutically. It carried us through a traumatic time, and the whole family is back to biking again. RAGBRAI brought us some good memories, and we'll be back again next year.

Budget-wise, my expenses haven't changed:

Tires/Wheels - $25 (Does this count as an expense, if the tires were the main need, and the wheels came with them?)
BB Cartridge - $17.11
Brake Pads - $24.36 (I installed one of these sets, the other is probably going onto a different bike. But I did buy it during this challenge).
Everything else (including the bike) was in stock or horse-traded.

So... $17.11 + half of $24.36 is $29.29 worth of stuff installed on the bike (excluding tires). In the future I plan to re-wrap the bars, but that's the only deficiency at this time.

The 27-->700c conversion and brifters also make this a bit of a Frankenbike.

All in all, it has been a good project!

Likes For campfire:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.