Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Less torque question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Less torque question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 04:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Why not just buy a new torque wrench locally? Auto parts stores, LBS, Home Depot, etc. etc. will have them. FWIW, I use a simple beam-type torque wrench. They're fool-proof and inexpensive.
Several times I have taken my 1964 Western Auto Beam Type Torque Wrench over to a local shop and compared its reading to higher quality wrenches. It has been for the most part, spot on! But then again I only use it for my bike needs. Another words I have not used it to torque down head bolts on a car engine at greater than 225 ft/lbs... Ha

On my old bikes the only thing I really use the torque wrench on are the Crank Bolts. But if I was routinely working on some of these newer high cost bikes, made with proprietary exotic materials and alloys I would probably invest in a higher quality type wrench...
Old 03-13-24, 07:14 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
For most bike things, you can get by without a torque wrench. But it helps, usually you are a convert if one time you strip threads, or something comes loose. People tend to overtorque small screws and undertorque big ones. My external bottom bracket cups, the kit had no torque specs, nor could I find any online (for any ISO External on BSA/English threading), and using the 4-in-1 cup wrench, I gave it a good umph, what felt right. A onesie cup wrench that took a square socket, would have allowed using a torque wrench, but even now with my search, can't find a torque spec online. Same for the clamping bolts on the left HT2 crank arm (which came loose, so I gave it harder torque, putting a small copper pipe around the allen wrench, not for more leverage, but wider grip area to protect my hand. What I should have done is looked up standard torques for that bolt thread size; Next time I loosen those to adjust out slack and impart bearing preload, I'm gonna do that.).
Old 03-17-24, 01:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's no need to get sarcastic. While there may be some jobs where close adhesion to torque specs is important, the reality is that most jobs are far more forgiving, and torquing by "calibrated hands" is fine.

We might also note that there are two types of published torque specs. Some may be critical with limited margin for error, while most are simply a way of offering guidance, since things like "hand tight" don't make the grade anymore.

There's also a cultural difference. For decades, mechanics learned hands on from more experienced mechanics, with knowledge passing from generation to generation this way.

Some time back, along with the creation of the internet, how we learn changed, and folks needed to communicate info like how tight is right in different ways, not dependent on the old one to one method.

So, I suspect we have s cultural divide based on when and how each of us learned. I, for one, am not invested in how anyone does any job, as long as they do it well.
You're an experienced mechanic, as I will assume the poster i quoted. Not every one is and just because an experienced mechanic can do fasteners by feel or whatever, doesn't mean that torque specs and a decent tool to follow them is not needed by the rest of us.
Old 03-17-24, 02:00 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by grumpus
The lowest setting on a typical automotive torque wrench is too high for most bike parts.
Probably true in most cases. OTOH, it's worth checking out. I found a suitable in/lb wrench in some automotive source years ago. I just convert to nm when I use it.
Old 03-17-24, 09:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
You're an experienced mechanic, as I will assume the poster i quoted. Not every one is and just because an experienced mechanic can do fasteners by feel or whatever, doesn't mean that torque specs and a decent tool to follow them is not needed by the rest of us.
No one, or at least not me, is arguing against torque wrenches or published torque specs. I thought my post, which you referenced, was clear on that point.

However, learning to work on bikes (or other stuff) is like navigating. GPS navigation. apps are fine, and super helpful for getting around in unfamiliar territory. But there are two ways to use them. You could simply n follow the turn by turn getting to your destination, but that's all you'll get. Or you could look around as you drive, noting street names and landmarks, so you not only get there, buy have a sense of territory to help you for bext time. Eventually, the unfamiliar becomes familiar, and reliance on GPS fades.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-17-24, 09:32 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Probably true in most cases. OTOH, it's worth checking out. I found a suitable in/lb wrench in some automotive source years ago. I just convert to nm when I use it.
Mine has lb-in on one side, metric in Kg-cm on the other, I think newer ones may be in N-m, differing by the grav accel. Looking now, digital torque adaptors are now $40. Don't see one for low torques, but I'm sure they will have eventually.
Old 03-18-24, 01:49 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Mine has lb-in on one side, metric in Kg-cm on the other, I think newer ones may be in N-m, differing by the grav accel. Looking now, digital torque adaptors are now $40. Don't see one for low torques, but I'm sure they will have eventually.
I paid that several years ago on Amazon, for 1/4" drive 20 Nm. Similar to this one.
Old 03-18-24, 02:36 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by FBinNY
No one, or at least not me, is arguing against torque wrenches or published torque specs. I thought my post, which you referenced, was clear on that point.

However, learning to work on bikes (or other stuff) is like navigating. GPS navigation. apps are fine, and super helpful for getting around in unfamiliar territory. But there are two ways to use them. You could simply n follow the turn by turn getting to your destination, but that's all you'll get. Or you could look around as you drive, noting street names and landmarks, so you not only get there, buy have a sense of territory to help you for bext time. Eventually, the unfamiliar becomes familiar, and reliance on GPS fades.
Sorry if I misattributed that.

The GPS thing... and apologies for drifting... I agree totally. I love GPS when I'm in a strange place, it really works. But you never really get a feel for how you get there or how the area/city/whatever is actually laid out for general navigation.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-18-24, 06:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Sorry if I misattributed that.

The GPS thing... and apologies for drifting... I agree totally. I love GPS when I'm in a strange place, it really works. But you never really get a feel for how you get there or how the area/city/whatever is actually laid out for general navigation.
This is a big issue for me and colors many of my posts. IMO, it's not about using or not using various tools or tech. It's about learning while doing, or doing without learning. A secondary issue is that folks who paint by numbers so to speak, don't develop judgement and can't discern what rally matters and what doesn't so much.

For example, if a crank bolt torque is published as 12nm, is that simply a guide, or does it have to be 12nm, with 13-14 being too high and 10-11 too low.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: