Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you patch tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you patch tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 01:57 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Do you patch tubes?

I don't mean just to get you home. I'm talking about patching a tube and then riding it as long as you can? If you do, what's your limit on patches? I've gotten pretty good at patching tubes. I generally will patch a tube twice before I won't trust it any more. On a couple of occasions I have gone to three patches but I reserve those tubes for emergencies, just to get me home.

It's just about a necessity where I ride. I am forever picking up small wire from blown steel belted radials. Like a freaking magnet. I probably get at least one puncture a month, minimum. Over 90% of my punctures are from those wires. I was talking to mom about a week ago and told her I need to buy stock in a tube manufacturer.

And please don't turn this into a tubeless debate.
Old 06-16-23, 02:08 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Only if it is the only way to get home in regard to my road bike. My "city bike", sure.

The main reason is that riding on ~25mm wires (I think mine are 28's but not sure) you can actually feel the patch oftentimes. My go to is a piece of an old tube and some super glue. I used to use those little blue wrapped stickie patches (can't recall the name) and had SO many of those fail to hold air.
Generally, I carry a new tube with and have only one time had a situation (spoke) where the new tube took damage as well. I have also found it helpful to carry a $1 bill in the kit in case of a cut or sidewall damage.
Old 06-16-23, 02:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I rarely get flats but if I do just replace the tube and patch the other tube after I get home. I don't like patching tubes on the side of the road, it's a lot easier to just replace it and do the patching at home.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-16-23, 02:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I don't bother.
Old 06-16-23, 02:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen

And please don't turn this into a tubeless debate.
Don't be surprised if it will, I bet you a tube that it will..
Old 06-16-23, 02:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Before I went tubeless, I would carry two good tubes with me and swap them out if I got a flat for a fast fix, then patch the punctured tubes when I got home and test them before putting them back in the rotation. I only patched on the road if I got a third flat (rare, but it did happen). Tubes would get retired and replaced with a new one when they sprung a leak where a patch was, leaked too close to the valve, or I just decided they had too many patches.
Old 06-16-23, 02:28 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve had less success in recent years and am shifting away from it. I haven’t had many flats lately and the most common thing is a tire goes flat overnight after a ride and I discover that a patch I did a year before has now decided to leak a little. I’ve been using Park Tool patch kits in recent years. Perhaps Rema would be better.

Otto
Old 06-16-23, 02:37 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I'm in goathead country. Before I began using tire liners I'd suffer 2-3 flats a year, so I patched and patched. After I started using tire liners I had a flat or to a year, if even that many. In fact, I remember replacing the tires on my 84 Nishiki and finding the front wheel had a couple of patches and the back had 7, but at that point it had been a couple years since I had a flat on that bike.

If the flat is due to a small puncture I'll still patch it and use it till an unpatatchable incident happens.
Old 06-16-23, 02:42 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I carry a new tube, a patched tube and a patch kit on every ride. In the past I have used all three on a single ride. I have no problem using patched tubes if it is the little wires that caused the flat. a bigger hole I usually won't mess with tho.
Old 06-16-23, 02:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’ve had less success in recent years and am shifting away from it. I haven’t had many flats lately and the most common thing is a tire goes flat overnight after a ride and I discover that a patch I did a year before has now decided to leak a little. I’ve been using Park Tool patch kits in recent years. Perhaps Rema would be better.

Otto
Same here. I was running a patched tube in my trainer wheel, and got a flat in the middle of a race on Zwift. The patch held up, till it didn't. If I used that in a regular wheelset, it might have give out while I was descending at >30 mph.

I didn't formally decide not to patch tubes anymore, but I haven't patched one since, and a couple months back I bought a 10-pack of Vittoria tubes, which suggests to me that I INformally decided.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-16-23, 03:02 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I replace a flat tube with a new one and then decide when I get home whether or not to use a patch. Often the puncture is where there is a seam and a patch is not likely to hold over time.
Old 06-16-23, 03:09 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I flip a ton of bikes each year and only patch tubes with pinholes when that is faster than me getting a new one from a friend's shop.

Tubes with anything bigger than a pinhole are used for rim tape and tire liners.

When I ride, I carry a spare tube. I can't carry cold vulcanizing fluid with me, and if I use a sticker patch just to get home, I'm re-doing it all with a new tube anyways.
Old 06-16-23, 03:11 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Yes

That said, most people who get one flat after another need an accurate tire pressure gauge and glasses.
Old 06-16-23, 03:14 PM
VegasJen

Ya, I don't patch any on the side of the road. Don't even carry a patch kit. I do carry a spare tube and if I get a flat on a ride, I swap out the tube and, depending on how far into my ride, head home. I bought one of those 4oz containers of rubber cement and I just cut up an old tube for my patches. I've had really good success with it over the last couple years. But I probably should carry a couple of those temporary patch kits, just for the off chance I get multiple in a ride. I've also heard about carrying a bill but I haven't actually done so yet.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 06-16-23, 03:14 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't be surprised if it will, I bet you a tube that it will..
I'm sure you're right.
Old 06-16-23, 04:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
I don’t patch on the side of the road. When I get home, I check BF to find out what other people do so I know what I should do.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-16-23, 04:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Ya, I don't patch any on the side of the road. Don't even carry a patch kit. I do carry a spare tube and if I get a flat on a ride, I swap out the tube and, depending on how far into my ride, head home. I bought one of those 4oz containers of rubber cement and I just cut up an old tube for my patches. I've had really good success with it over the last couple years. But I probably should carry a couple of those temporary patch kits, just for the off chance I get multiple in a ride. I've also heard about carrying a bill but I haven't actually done so yet.
I highly recommend carrying a Park GP-2 pre-glued patch kit. It takes no space in your saddle bag, and if you ever get two flats on a ride (it happens! Ask me how I know!), you won't be walking home, or making The Call Of Shame.

The patches are great to get you home - I once had to use THREE patches!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-16-23, 04:42 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Mid ride I replace with a never patched tube. Once home I inspect and patch tube, re-install in the tire. The replacement tube then goes back in my seat bag. Have been patching tubes since I was a teenager. Some tubes have had 4 patches before being junked.
Old 06-16-23, 04:52 PM
melissam

Bikes: Merlin Camena, Trek Domane SL7 Gen 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I ride bikes with 650c tires and tubes, which are getting harder and harder to find. So yeah, if the tube failed due to a puncture, I'm patching it and putting it back into the rotation!

Lately I'm finding more failures where the valve stem joins the tube, which seem to be fatal. I experimented with Shoe Goo to tried to join the valve stem back to the tube and save the tube, but it wasn't successful.
Old 06-16-23, 04:54 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I take the same approach wolfchild laid out above -- I like to patch in a clean controlled workroom. Then I carry one patched tube and one new one as spares. If a riding buddy or a stranger needs a tube, they get the patched one.

But honestly, I haven't seen a well patched tube fail -- they just seem to get punctured somewhere else, just like a new tube.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 06-16-23, 04:58 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by melissam
Lately I'm finding more failures where the valve stem joins the tube, which seem to be fatal. I experimented with Shoe Goo to tried to join the valve stem back to the tube and save the tube, but it wasn't successful.
This is almost always caused by "fake" rubber rim tape.

Gotta Velox.
Old 06-16-23, 05:02 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
no. life's too short (and riding windows are too short) to ride with tubes, or patch them.
Old 06-16-23, 05:06 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’ve been using Park Tool patch kits in recent years. Perhaps Rema would be better.

Otto
I've been using Rema patches since the 70s. Glue does not seem to matter that much.
I use a can of rubber cement from the auto parts or department store. "Slime" brand right now.
I usually do it at home after I have a small batch of holed tubes.
With a properly prepared surface I've never had one fail. Rema brand patches are the bomb.
I usually chuck a tube after a half dozen or so patches. Unless a hole is right next to a patch then I might chuck it.
All butyl.
Old 06-16-23, 05:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Yes.
Old 06-16-23, 05:30 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Yep! I get a few flats a year (last year was very bad )and almost all are from thorns. I live in a rural area and goatheads are everywhere. I usually find the thorn before pulling the tube out of the rim so it makes a quick repair to patch. If I can’t find the hole right away , I put a new tube on and hit the road. The patches hold up well and some of my tubes have more than one patch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.